Ruger Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a Smith and Wesson Model 57 .41 Mag, 6 inch barrel today for sale for $560. Seems a bit steep. What would one be worth? I just eyeballed it through the glass display case. I was afraid to hold it, as it seemed to be calling my name as it was. But, from what I could see, it looked minty. Am thinking very hard about going back and trying to get it a tad cheaper. I looked it up in my 2nd edition Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson, which is a few years old now, and it listed it as $500 for one new in the box. Have they increased in value that much since this books publication?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I agree on $500 or less-no more unless $25 for nickel plated-what a gun!!! Hunting-defense-target-what a caliber! What a gun! I'd love to have one more M58 before I check out-kinda like riding a bull!!

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Now you can stop a tank!!! With .41 Mag SP at 1500 fps-why did they need all these bigger 4s and 5s-it'll stop a grizzly bear!!

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I got her for $530. Really hurt my feelings, until I shot it! It is a tackdriver! I aint too crazy about that wide grooved trigger in DA, but it is sweet in SA. The gun is an easy 95 to 98% gun, with a bare minimum of blue wear. The barrel is pinned and cylinder is recessed, which shows it to be made before 1982. It has an N prefix, which shows it to be made after 1969. Whoever owned her sure didn't take her out and play much.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Models 57's ( & 58's ) hold their value incredibly well!!! I often peruse the gun auction sites and you never</u> find a S&W 57 at a steal. I would say you made a good deal at that price! Congrats!!

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I would always order w/wide hammer and trigger-rub the grooves full of canning wax before you shoot-get it warm and fill 'em up good-helps a lot...esp. after 2-3 cylindersfull of hot stuff!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts