Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My LGS has a 1994 vaquero 44 mag. with case hardened frame 5.5 inch barrel with ajax white grips. comes with box and papers, they are asking $700 out the door, they said this was limited run, gun is 90%. Is this a GOOD PRICE...

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
You can get lucky and find them for $450-500, but rarely. Many of the 44mag Vaqueros will go over $750. I have a bunch of 44mag stainless Vaqueros, kind of an obsession, with several of them bought in the last 3yrs, 750, 680, and 550 each.

If that one was stainless at 7.5", I'd have called every gun shop I could find in Indiana and bought it out from under you for that price. They haven't been made in 10yrs, and they aren't doing anything but getting more scarce. When they find their way to my safe, they don't leave, and I'm more than happy to buy any of them that I find for $750 or less. Be glad that I don't like CCH or blued revolvers.

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
My LGS has a 1994 vaquero 44 mag. with case hardened frame 5.5 inch barrel with ajax white grips. comes with box and papers, they are asking $700 out the door, they said this was limited run, gun is 90%. Is this a GOOD PRICE...
I agree with the others, on the high side, especially a blue gun in 90% and 5 1/2" was the most common. Then 4 5/8", and the 7 1/2" is the lowest production volume.

It's not a "limited run", the 44 Mag was standard production. If you have the serial #, I can look up the year it was made.

LGS may be mixing up "limited run" with a "clean up gun". Ruger does this from time to time; after a model has been discontinued, they'll gather up unused parts still in inventory, assemble and ship them. They been filtering out of the factory in recent years. If it has the warning billboard on the bottom of the barrel instead of the sides like the pre 2005, it's a clean up gun.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
A little higher than the going rate in my part of the country but not by much. I'd offer them less in cash. But as others have posted they are no longer made.

·
Premium Member
4,313 Posts
I'm not an expert on these (Varminterror is my reference source) but I agree with everybody else. $700 is about $100 too high. Vaqueros in 44mag aren't that tough to find. They're not common but they're not rare either. I bought one locally about 6 months ago for $600. It was a stainless 5.5" and about 95% condition.

I wouldn't offer them $600. I'd lay out $600 in cash on the counter. Real money always works better than an 'offer'. Between you me and the fence post I'd probably give them the $700 for it if the CCH was particularly good looking. Life's too short to quibble over $100 for a nice gun.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I got a 4.62 barrel one on gunbroker a couple years ago around 600 bux if i recall. They are getting harder to find but still out there. Ill probably never sell it since i like it and they dont make them anymore.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Between you me and the fence post I'd probably give them the $700 for it if the CCH was particularly good looking. Life's too short to quibble over $100 for a nice gun.
Snipped this out because I whole-heartedly agree! Whether you pay $500 or 700, you're not over paying either way. If you do much shooting with it, you'll burn thousands of dollars in ammo through it anyway, so the $100 on the purchase price doesn't make much difference.

I bought my first 44mag Vaquero for under $350 tax included, new in box, fresh off of the press - that's the least I've paid for one. I mentioned previously the most I've paid for one was $750 - which was about $850 by the time I got it shipped and transferred at both ends - and even paying more than twice as much as the first 44mag Vaq I bought, and almost $200 more than I paid cash & carry for another one in the same month, I don't feel that I paid "too much" because "too much" is subjective: I wanted the revolver, they had it for sale, I had money, now I have the revolver. "Too Much" to me today is $850-900 all in. I can find others for $700-800, or less today. 5-10yrs from now, I'll probably get another chance at those revolvers I don't buy today, but then they'll all cost $1000, and I'll have to be ok with spending that when the time comes.

I wouldn't offer them $600. I'd lay out $600 in cash on the counter. Real money always works better than an 'offer'.
Used that tactic many times! The key, however, is to pull out the $600 in 6 crisp $100 bills, then pull out a $50 and tell him "and that'll pay Uncle Sam for the tax," and have NOTHING ELSE IN YOUR WALLET. If they see that you have cash left, they'll want it. If they see that it's all you have, and it's cash on the table, you can walk away with pretty dang cheap guns.

BUT....

Be sure you have the other $100 hidden in your pocket, in case he doesn't take your bid :rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts