Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I have an "old/original" large frame Vaquero birdshead grip 45 colt. I have been tweaking this gun a bit, SBH hammer, 30oz Wolff trigger spring, and had the grips checkered.
I have seen Alan Harton's work on Vaqueros and other single actions. He puts in rear sights that fill the rear sight trench that are adjustable as well as nice ramped & serrated front sights. Unfortunately he is not taking on any new work at this time. Can anyone recommend a smith to install an adjustable rear and serrated front ramp sight? Thanks

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
This used to be fairly common back in the day, with Colts. I believe S&W revolver sights were adapted. Gunsmiths, rather than parts changers, are getting harder to find, amd they are expensive when you do. Have you considered selling your gun and buying one with adjustable sights? I'm sure you would be money ahead.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
If you want a Vaquero with adjustable sights, get a Blackhawk...

Is there an issue with how the fixed sights on the Vaquero work?

·
Registered
973 Posts
The rear sight on the Blackhawk is not really the best rear sight available. It is aluminum alloy and has a rounded surface on the base facing then shooter. After market rear sights correct this, whether for the Blackhawk or for the Vaquero.

Here is a Gary Reeder rear sight on my Blackhawk .45, note the face is flat and ribbed to elimate glare. Also it is steel and may be reblued if necessary. However the steel sight boss doesn't flake off as does the aluminum one.

And, if the owner just wants an adjustable sighted Vaquero, why not?

Bob Wright

·
Registered
595 Posts

Is there an issue with how the fixed sights on the Vaquero work?
+1

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im aware of all the guns out there.

Like I said, looking for a smith to put an adj rear and serrated front ramp on a BH Vaquero.

Nothing wrong with the current sights as far as poa and poi. I like how it carries, barrel length, and BH grip. I have several SBH and BH already. Like another said, the aluminum sights are not for me, my SBH all have Bowen rough country rear sights.
A nice rear and serrated front will cut the glare some as well.
Thanks for the one tip about a smith. Does he have a website?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do keep my eyes peeled for a Ruger 3.75" bisley 44 mag though. Ruger 0818.
See, I carry something of decent power that isnt too hard to lug around the woods. We often black bear hunt in some remote spots. I often carry my 870 with a police barrel and Brenneke black magic slugs while baiting the blinds. 9 times outta 10 bear run if they see or hear me. I have had one large male mock charge and another female jaw clicking cause her cubs were nearby. Makes u wanna carry.
I like to carry a big bore pistol as well. Some spots we are walking in pretty far and then I just take a revolver. Ive carried 5&7" SBH in to some of these spots and when you get there you think: this thing is heavy! Mainly because of the bait being humped in. Shooting +P 45 colt 325gr is getting to 44 mag power which is nice.
Anywho, long story. So its not a target gun only.
Thought about 2" 454 alaskan, but some decent velocity loss.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Im aware of all the guns out there.

Like I said, looking for a smith to put an adj rear and serrated front ramp on a BH Vaquero.

Nothing wrong with the current sights as far as poa and poi. I like how it carries, barrel length, and BH grip. I have several SBH and BH already. Like another said, the aluminum sights are not for me, my SBH all have Bowen rough country rear sights.
A nice rear and serrated front will cut the glare some as well.
Thanks for the one tip about a smith. Does he have a website?
Per my original post:

Keith Warner Gunsmith, Inc. | Germantown, TN

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thank you Bob Wright. Most of the big name gunsmiths are booked for months or have gone to package deals. I am looking for a smith to place a sight on a Vaquero because the Blackhawk frames are large for the application I have in mind.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts