Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who have one - what are your impressions of the Vaquero Birdshead 45 ACP? I have been looking at the Talo stainless. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I have one and I like it. No problems with factory loads except it was shooting 1.5 inches to the left until I adjusted the barrel. With re-loads, you have to watch how much you taper crimp the case mouth. If you crimp too much the cartidge will set deeper in the chamber and you get a light strike and misfire on the round.
On my gun a taper crimp of .471 to .472 works fine. Overall a fine light packing woods gun. The birds head grip is a better point shooter then the plow handle grip for me.

Attachments

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
The 45acp New Vaqueros are a hoot. I bought a 5144 Convertible and "converted it" to a Birdshead, so it was basically a longer barreled 5151 + 5152 for a short time, until I knocked the barrel down.

Not everybody loves the birdshead grip frame, so I'd recommend handling one before you special order it. I traded an XR3 grip frame to a guy off of another 5144 for his birdy from his 5152 last winter, he bought it, loved the action, loved the cartridge, but didn't like the birdshead grip. It turned out really handsome with the XR3 installed though, and he was a lot happier with it.

Here's something to keep in mind too - the Talo black laminate grips are a lot more narrow than the traditional black or white micarta birdshead grips:

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Mine (a blued ACP model) is off getting Metaloyed by Mahovsky's........it's then getting the Black Pearl Kirinite grips that are taking FORever to arrive from Eagle and this gun may become one of my overall "go to" range and woods carry guns.

It's a blast to shoot and handles great.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Darn it I just saved up & sold a rifle to buy my SP101 .327 3 inch barreled revolver love it!!! Then I see your Talo Birdshead Ruger Vaquero .45 acp's........!!!!oh Crap Now I need to save and get me one. For some reason now I want a blued one how much do these little beauties retail for?? Wow thx for sharing pix!!!:D;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the stainless. Shoots low, haven't filed the sights yet, but windage is dead nuts. Super comfortable to shoot. Shoots plated and lead equally well. My favorite handgun at the moment!

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
I am enjoying my birdshead. It shoots low with 230 grain. I plan to load more and make sure it's low- then I will regulate the sight. Otherwise, it's a lot of fun. I like it's size and weight. A definite good buy.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Darn it I just saved up & sold a rifle to buy my SP101 .327 3 inch barreled revolver love it!!! Then I see your Talo Birdshead Ruger Vaquero .45 acp's........!!!!oh Crap Now I need to save and get me one. For some reason now I want a blued one how much do these little beauties retail for?? Wow thx for sharing pix!!!:D;)
Seems about 560-575, KY gun Co has both 45 ACP and 45 Colt in stock right now in blue.
Ruger Vaquero Birdshead 45 Auto Revolver 3.75in Blued 6 Round Black Laminate Grips

·
Registered
339 Posts
I've owned three of the 45 ACP Blued versions.....
I keep selling them off, only to buy another one.

I've found them accurate and FUN to shoot.

I have an unfired example that was built in 2012, but am going to put some rounds through it this weekend.

I actually use mine as a concealed carry gun, but mostly when hiking or out and about for short periods.

Pics and a full report, after my range visit.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a stainless 45ACP. It is fun to shoot,don't really know why but it is. It feels good in the hand. Sights are not conducive to good shooting past about 25-30 yds at least for me.I did file the front sight a little to raise POI but I like bullets in the 200g range so they hit lower than 230s. It does tend to shoot a little left but I have found out I can remedy that by wrapping my finger further around the trigger to"pull" the shot rather than "push" it.
I don't think I will be getting rid of mine. I have other revolvers to do what it can't.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ordered one tonight. Thanks again!

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
They are a neat gun these Ruger Vaquero Birdshead .45 acp's I looked at 2 of them side by side the other day one blued and the other stainless and they were both priced the same @ $609.00 each! I thought the Stainless Steel one would have been more $$ but no. Really a neat little SA revolver!!!

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm torn between the blued steel or Stainless. I have two blackhawks that are blued and a Stainless Bisley. I just can't make up my mind.

The other hurdle is Colt vs. ACP. The Colt is my favorite caliber but with the short ejector rod not fully ejecting the spent casings it's kind of off putting. The other problem is the new vaquero doesn't hold up to Ruger only loads and that worries me since all my Blackhawks will handle them as well as my carbine. So that hurdle took some time but I figured it out. now I just have to decide on blued or stainless.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm torn between the blued steel or Stainless. I have two blackhawks that are blued and a Stainless Bisley. I just can't make up my mind.

The other hurdle is Colt vs. ACP. The Colt is my favorite caliber but with the short ejector rod not fully ejecting the spent casings it's kind of off putting. The other problem is the new vaquero doesn't hold up to Ruger only loads and that worries me since all my Blackhawks will handle them as well as my carbine. So that hurdle took some time but I figured it out. now I just have to decide on blued or stainless.
I love my stainless, but I want a blue one that I will also put grips on. My advice is to just decide which one you like most right now and get the other one later. That way even if you never get another one you will have still made the right choice.
The stainless are a little more rare but they are out there, I accidentally stumbled on mine at a LGS, yes I went there looking for it but it was just chance they had it since they are hard to find. If you want stainless you had better get them before they are gone. Also, stainless doesn't wear off from holster wear or chemicals. All of that said, I still really like the blue too.
Your welcome for making the decision just as confusing as it was before I posted this. Lol

P.S. .45 ACP is cheaper and it can still back flip a buzzard. :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
i carry "Verity" everyday in crossdraw
she gets shot alot
since i carry her so much she gets a bit scuffed up
so im very glad i got the stainless

1 - 20 of 34 Posts