Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This my first question since joining two days ago. I have a chance to buy a Vaquero Bisley in .44 mag. According to the serial# it's a 2000 production year .It appears to be polished stainless with pearl grips. So, far I haven't seen any reference on a stainless Vaquero Bisley .I have only found blued ones. It appears in excellant condition. The dealer is asking $535.00. or $480.00 cash. Seems like agood deal to me . Any help with production info? Thanks

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
I have a older Ruger Vaquero Bisley larger frame .357 5-1/2 inch barrel mine is also the polished Stainless Steel. My favorite Ruger. Now if th Ruger you are looking at appears to be clean & in very good condition. The price you mention of $480.00 doesn't seem to be too bad of a price. The Bisley Grip frame really helps in recoil with magnum loads. Good luck to you!!!

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
What's the shop called? If you don't buy it, I'm going to.

If it has pearl grips, i.e. not factory original, I'd knock a little off of it compared to a factory fresh version, but that's a good deal.

I paid $500 for the stainless bisley 44mag Vaquero pictured below:

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
We have the smaller frame New Vaquero in that version, chambered in 357 and it is one of favorite Rugers. The smoothest, too. LOVE the Bisley grip. That price is not out of line if the gun is in good shape. Loving the 44 mag like I do, I could not pass that one, up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Could be a regional thing but out here in Oregon guns I've bought, I've bought for less. I don't have a Vaquero, but I do have Blackhawks. Just picked up a Blackhawk Bisley ss 5.5" 45LC, $425. All the others have been as low as $350 up to $425-$435 ish. Does a Vaquero sell for more? I see Blackhawk and Vaquero listed for sale at $500 and up, but they stay for sale for a while. Get down around $400 and they sell fairly fast.

Bryan

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Could be a regional thing but out here in Oregon guns I've bought, I've bought for less. I don't have a Vaquero, but I do have Blackhawks. Just picked up a Blackhawk Bisley ss 5.5" 45LC, $425. All the others have been as low as $350 up to $425-$435 ish. Does a Vaquero sell for more? I see Blackhawk and Vaquero listed for sale at $500 and up, but they stay for sale for a while. Get down around $400 and they sell fairly fast.

Bryan
Yes, the original 44mag Vaquero sells for more than the Blackhawks. The Blackhawks are still regular production items. The orginal 44mag Vaqueros are not.

So talking about buying a 2015 Ford Mustang for a lower price than a 1964 1/2 Mustang isn't a good contribution to a collector car discussion- the current production Blackhawks can't be compared to the market for the 44mag original Vaqueros.

I've bought over two dozen Ruger stainless Vaquero 44mag's in the last ~10yrs since they were discontinued, the market is well established. Some will go for $800 on CRAZY prices, I've bought ONE in the last 4yrs for $450. $500-600 tends to be going rate right now for reasonable prices on good condition specimen, stainless tend to bring a little more, not sure why, other than their original purchase price used to reflect that as well. It does, however, surprise me, lower volume versions like the bisley's or factory "ivories," etc etc don't draw more than the standard 5.5" models, but there's not a lot of disparity. A 5.5" stainless with rosewoods might sell for $750 while a bisley ivory stainless might sell for $500 - to which I can attest, because I've paid those numbers this year for those models.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
My Ruger Vaquero Bisley has had very good care from both the 1st owner and myself. If hard times hit where I was forced to sell off firearms because of need for money I still wouldn't take less then $500.00 for mine no matter where I lived. Here in Utah I guess the values are higher I don't know but I haven't even seen a used Ruger Blackhawk for under $450.00 Why should a Vaquero be priced higher then a Blackhawk?? Good hell the Blackhawk has adjustable sights where the Vaquero doesn't but I guess there is a explanation for that one also. But my Vaquero Bisley is just like the one that Varminterror has a picture of other then mine has wood grips on mine.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
gqucool - yeah, it's all marketing tolerance - the New Vaquero has an MSRP of $769 in stainless, the stainless Blackhawk is $749. What that tells us is that Cowboy Action Shooters are more willing to pay more for their Toys than Hunters are willing to pay for their Tools.

The ORIGINAL Vaqueros, on the other hand, are a market all of their own. It's not a pure collectors market, as Cowboy Action shooters still want them, some hunters, and lots of big bore fanatics like myself want them, but they can't be compared to the Blackhawk or Super Blackhawk prices. A Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk, or New Vaquero can never be a 44mag Vaquero - so if a guy wants a 44mag Vaquero, they have to pay what a 44mag Vaquero costs, not what a Blackhawk costs.

Nobody buying a 44mag Vaquero is asking themselves - "why buy this when I can get a blackhawk or super blackhawk or new vaquero cheaper?" because they're not looking for the cheapest single action revolver on the market. We're looking for 44mag Vaqueros.

Heck, I paid more for my latest USED Marlin 1894 JM stamped rifle than I did for the NEW PRODUCTION Marlin 1894 with Rem proofs - I'm not buying the cheapest rifle that fills an application, I'm buying a specific item that I want.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
My next acquisition would be a Ruger Vaquero Birdshead in a .45acp those new are just a tad over $600.00 whew!! Very pricey!!!

·
Registered
231 Posts
IMGP0606.JPG

My 5 1/2 inch stainless Bisley Vaquero 44 mag on top. Not for sale. Your price seems very reasonable. Mine is from July 2003 time frame.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I would buy that Ruger in a heart beat at $480.00!

I have a pair of the original model Bisley Vaqueros with 5-1/2" barrels in .45 Colt (One is stainless and the other one is blued that was re-done by the factory) that I use for cowboy action shooting:

I also have an original Bisley Vaquero in .44 magnum that started out with a 4-5/8" barrel, but I had a 7-1/2" barrel installed on it. It makes a nice companion to my other two original Vaqueros in .44 magnum (One is 4-5/8" and the other is a 7-1/2"):

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the response on my question. Especially VARMINTERROR. I bought the Vaquero on Saturday the 11th. Gotta get some rounds put together to try it out.. Thanks again

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Thanks for all the response on my question. Especially VARMINTERROR. I bought the Vaquero on Saturday the 11th. Gotta get some rounds put together to try it out.. Thanks again

William
Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your Vaquero they are nice guns.
I'm sure most of us would like a range report when you get it to the range.
Thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts