Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to buy a vaquero birds head in 45acp at a great price and am wondering if it can be converted to 45lc as well. I see lots of places that say you can go from 45lc to 45 app but know the other way. I know someone will have an answer here.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sounds like you want to ream the existing cylinder to LC .
Just find a second LC cyl . Cheaper and you end up with convertible.
Takes a little looking but they do show up.
Unless,,,, by new model you mean midframe. That might be harder

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it’s a new model vaquero on the mid sized frame, not sure if the new model Blackhawks are the same frame or if I will need to look for one off a new vaquero in 45lc

·
Registered
476 Posts
Ruger did no one any favors when they named the 'second generation', mid-sized frame guns the "New Vaquero". All Vaqueros are "New Models" having been designed and built with the lockwork which includes the transfer bar. If yours is actually stamped "New Vaquero" it has a smaller frame and takes a smaller and shorter cylinder than the New Model Blackhawk frame.

Bruce

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Since that pistol was sold as a convertible, Ruger would probably fit a new cylinder for you. I think it might be cheaper to do it that way than pay a gunsmith to rebore six holes and adapt the ACP cylinder. Worth a phone call, anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Talked to Ruger a nice lady told me $175-215 for the cylinder and she couldn’t say how much to fit it. Thinking that’s probably the smartest way to go.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I’m curious why do you feel the need to change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Was looking at shooting it in CAS but just discovered 45 cowboy special that is a rimmed case that I can shoot in the 45acp cylinder, problem solved.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts