Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard there is a kit to replace my original Vaquero gate mechanism with a modern one.
If I don't roll my cylinder just right, it stops where I can't load or eject a cartridge.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,807 Posts
ScreamingCockatoo, There are two way to change cylinder indexing. The first and the easiest is a "free spin pawl". When installed, the free spin pawl will allow the cylinder to rotate in either direction when the loading gate is open. You can either buy an aftermarket free spin pawl or you can modify the factory pawl.

The second and much more expensive option is to buy a Power Custom hammer kit. This changes the loading procedure where you open the loading gate then place the hammer at halfcock. Once the hammer is in the halfcock position, the cylinder will only rotate clockwise but it indexes where each chamber can be loaded/unloaded.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Using the Iowegan's instructions, I had my pistolsmith make the modification to my pawl to make it a free spin pawl. It works as advertised.

Dale53

·
Registered
100 Posts
Wow... there were three hours or so between the post containing instructions for the mod to a free spin pawl, and the OPs note that his smith had performed the job, and the gun works fine. That is some FAST gunsmithing turnaroud. : )

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,807 Posts
pawneefork, Different person, different time.

Modify your pawl to look like this and it will free spin:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts