Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering adding a Vaquero to my collection. So I want some input from all. Most likely caliber is going to be 45lc. Barrel length isn't that much of a concern as long as it isn't longer than 7&½".That being said there are many other variables to consider.
#1- New model or old
#2- stainless or blued
#3- plow handle or bisley
Thoughts or opinions on this?

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
I think it should be 'your' opinion as to which. That said, there never was an Old Model Vaquero (I wish there had been!) as both the original Vaquero and New Vaquero are New Model revolvers.
I prefer the New Vaquero as it does everything I want to do with it. I will not be loading ROLs with it. It is also very close to the original Colt Single Action in size. As for SS or Blued (MY preference), that is your call. Both will last life-times of use. Plow handle works for me because it feels right in my hands. Again your call. Handle both and see what you think (or just buy one of each).

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
(or just buy one of each).
I like the way you think. Not sure the wife will agree..
A little more about my situation. I already own a blackhawk in 45 with plow handle. So....
And really just looking for people's onion. Doesn't mean I will take it. Just like others personal take on it. Makes for good reading.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I prefer stainless and the Bisley grip and hammer, but that's just me. The older, bulkier ones will hold up to stronger loads.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a Vaquero Bisley in .357 and for now until I can find a compact pistol to carry concealed, I am accomplishing it with the Bisley in a belly band holster, although it is a little uncomfortable it works and since Chicago is the murder capital of the world now.... any gun is better than no gun and you cannot beat a .357 JHP for a defensive round.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a Vaquero Bisley in .357 and for now until I can find a compact pistol to carry concealed, I am accomplishing it with the Bisley in a belly band holster, although it is a little uncomfortable it works and since Chicago is the murder capital of the world now.... any gun is better than no gun and you cannot beat a .357 JHP for a defensive round.
That beats most my friend.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,335 Posts
45 Colt is one of my favorite cartridges and as such, I have quite a few Ruger SAs chambered for it. For factory equivalent loads, there's nothing wrong with plow handle grips but my accuracy is better when I use my Bisley Blackhawk …. partly because the barrel is 7 1/2" long, partly because the sights are way better, and partly because the Bisley grip is more manageable.

My all time favorite 45 Colt is a 2002 vintage heavy frame Vaquero. It happens to be a convertible in the shiny stainless steel finish with a 5 1/2" barrel. I had to blacken the rear leading edges of the sights with flat black spray paint to get a good sight picture but once I did, it became a pleasure to shoot. All of my other 45 Colts are blued guns. I personally like the looks of a blued gun better but for keeping the gun looking nice, nothing beats a shiny stainless finish where all it takes after a shooting session is a wipe-down with a cloth to restore it to factory condition.

I don't currently own a New Vaquero, however they are really nice guns. I figured if I ever want to run Ruger Only loads, the large framed Vaquero was my best bet. To date, I've tried a cylinder or two of ROLs in my Blackhawks and Vaquero and found recoil was a bit too stiff for these old hands. I could be just as happy with a New Vaquero.

Here's my ol' nasty Vaquero Convertible:

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I have the original and the new with 4.6 barrel and plow handle grips. I have short fingers and chunky hands and the new model fits me the best. By all means put your hands on as many different ones as you can and decide for yourself.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have both the Vaquero and the New Vaquero. My choice is the Vaquero. All of mine are in Stainless.
I too have a 45 Colt / 45ACP Convertible. It never hurts to have options....
I prefer the "Plow Handle" vs Bisley, you may like one over the other.

My advice, try them all and make an informed choice.

WR

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,888 Posts
I enjoy both of my original large frame .45 Colt Vaqueros. The 3.75" birdshead is easy to carry, and the 4.6" plow handle makes my cowboy gunfighter fantasy great fun to indulge.

·
Super Moderator
4,062 Posts
I collect original Vaqueros and I own more than a few. I have blue, stainless, CCH, short barrel, long barrel, Birdshead, plow handle and Bisley. I also have three New Vaqueros. Every Vaquero/NMV I own is 45 Colt.

Two of my NMV are my CAS guns. They're stainless 5.5" and I've have no idea how many thousands of round I've shot through them. The actions on both are like butter but I haven't done a thing to them except shoot the crap out of them and occasionally clean them. The reason these two are NMV and not original Vaqueros is because when I started shooting CAS I bough these two used and they were my first Vaqueros. I see no need to replace them simply because they happen to be NMV.

My other NMV is a 7.5" CCH framed 45 Colt. Even though I prefer original Vaqueros over NMV I bought this one because they didn't make a whole lot of NMV with CCH frames and 7.5" barrels.

OTOH, I'm completely enamored with original Vaqueros and I'll buy just about every one I find that's a little unusual and/or in excellent condition. I don't own any that are rare or super valuable but most of mine are not the run of the mill 4 5/8 to 5.5" basic blue Vaqueros. If you made me pick which my favorites are I'd have to say my 4" blue/CCH Birdshead and a consecutive serial numbered pair of 7.5" blue/CCH plow handled guns. All three are, of course, 45 Colt.

I prefer original Vaqueros for several reasons:

1. They don't make them any more.

2. Ruger QC was a little better back then.

3. Even though I don't shoot ROL in my original Vaqueros I could if I wanted to.

4. Original Vaqueros can be found in some pretty cool configurations.

5. It's a finite set of guns and I enjoy learning everything I can about them and trying to become a subject matter expert.

6. While they don't make them any more they're still available and every now and then you can find some really nice examples for sale.

7. As collector items they're still affordable.

8. I prefer the slightly more robust feel of the larger framed original Vaqueros. However, the size difference really isn't that much so don't get hung up on it unless you know for sure you want to shoot ROL.

My recommendation is look for the configuration that appeals to you and not worry about whether it's an original or a NMV. Either one will serve you well and unless you're extraordinarily abusive your great, great grandchildren will love owning them too. One last thing, 45 Colt is the only caliber worth buying whether you choose original or NMV. Why? Because it's 45 Colt. If I have to explain it...... :p

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bonk, that's some pretty good info on why you choose what you choose. That's exactly what I wanted to see from responses.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
One last thing, 45 Colt is the only caliber worth buying whether you choose original or NMV. Why? Because it's 45 Colt. If I have to explain it......
+1 ....

BTW, I have both original and New Vaquero also, both blued. Have only one of 'each' :) .... Unlike Bonk ;) . Prefer the New Vaquero frame though.... But prefer the Case Coloring of the original Vaquero... Both are 5 1/2" my favorite barrel length. My original Vaquero's cylinder throats were 'way' under sized. After I reamed that revolver's throats, my group size was cut in half. Leading problems mostly went away. Also cut the forcing cone to 11 degrees. I then fire-lapped it, and that took care of all leading problems with this gun. The New Vaquero throats was much closer to what it should be. Reamed also but didn't notice much, if any difference on target. But at least I know they are correct now. Both revolvers needed barrel turned and front sight filed down for correct POI with a 250g RNFP.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Personally, I like the Birdshead grip best. I have a pair of stainless 5 1/2", plow handles and a pair of 3 3/4" blued with birdshead grips. Ive tried to stay with the plow handles, but consistently shoot the birdshead better. This is in SASS shooting. Over a few yrars, I go back and forth but always better with the birdshead. My next purchase is a Talo Vaquero birdshead in 45 acp 3 3/4".

·
Registered
23 Posts
Personally, I like the Birdshead grip best. I have a pair of stainless 5 1/2", plow handles and a pair of 3 3/4" blued with birdshead grips. Ive tried to stay with the plow handles, but consistently shoot the birdshead better. This is in SASS shooting. Over a few yrars, I go back and forth but always better with the birdshead. My next purchase is a Talo Vaquero birdshead in 45 acp 3 3/4".
F45:

My first SA was that configuration- in 44 Magnum though.
Surprisingly enough, it is quite manageable even using full-house loads.

-steve

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Vaqueros are the best!

Purchased my first Vaquero SS 5 1/2-inch barrel in 2002 in .45LC and it near perfect in all ways as far as I can tell. Couple of weeks ago I got my New Vaquero in 38/.357 SS with a 4.62-inch barrel. I think both fit there caliber just about perfect. Bigger frame in the .45LC and the smaller one in 38/.357. Both shoot better than I can, so no negatives from here. Go shoot!:D

1 - 20 of 45 Posts