Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
High Gloss/SS Vaquero (large frame) 44MAG 4 5/8"

New, my FFL just got this from his distributer about a week or two ago.
I can't stop myself when I see these things !! :D

·
Registered
193 Posts
great score and very good looking gun. I can see that these single actions can be quite addictive.:D

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
That is a good find, as they no longer make the Vaquero in .44 Mag! It must have been sitting on the distributors shelf for awhile.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is a good find, as they no longer make the Vaquero in .44 Mag! It must have been sitting on the distributors shelf for awhile.
Yeah, my FFL seems to get some neat ones like this now and then. He also has a new Colt 1991A1 1911 w/old(large)roll mark, matte finish. Some things he gets from Lew Horton but I don't know where he gets his Rugers. I really wasn't wanting another revolver but when I saw this I was wanting another revolver. :D

Here is a .357/9MM Blackhawk (1984) he bought off an individual (not for sale ! :()

I got first call on this if he changes his mind.

Note the SBH hammer and SS grip frame. These were factory installed, we are pretty sure, after purchase. I inspected it very closely and it appears to be unfired.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found this info on the "other" forum.

NCGUY wrote:They must be making these again. If you look at Davidson's Gallery of Guns they have alot of them.
I haven't got that figured out yet. The word is that Ruger had a cleanup of about 1,600 sets of old Vaquero parts, split evenly into about 400 each of the high gloss stainless and blue/case color models, 4-5/8" and 5-1/2" barrel lengths. Don't know if the person who started this thread realizes it or not, but the gun he pictured is one of these guns. Could turn out to be very rare! You will note that these guns are new manufacture, that is, serial numbering is after 58-96012, which is the highest I had heard of for the old production Vaquero when it was discontinued. The highest number for an old production Vaquero cannot exceed 58-96019.
In 2007, Ruger made a small batch of around 300 of the KBNV-34 (stainless high polish .357 4-5/8" barrel) as a parts cleanup to that model. They are known between 58-96020 and 58-96529.
The four models of .44 Mag. old style Vaquero are known to be serial numbered up to 58-98121.
All are different variations than the old style Vaquero because they have the Warning statement rollmarked on the bottom of the barrel. They also have the new manufacture rosewood grips that you will see have a large "XR" routed out of the back of each panel (post Lett manufacturing).
Now the big question. Will Ruger continue to make the .44 Mag. old style Vaquero? There would certainly be a market for it because the new Vaquero with its smaller cylinder frame won't handle the .44 Mag. cylinder.
As tough as it is to sell SA's like this today, I see no reason why Ruger wouldn't think it a good idea to keep manufacturing this in .44 Mag. The .44 Mag. afterall was one of the more popular calibers, probably more popular even than the .357 Mag.
Chet15

·
Registered
374 Posts
Why won't they make them in .44spl? Just change the reamer. They could use the new smaller frame with plenty of safety margin.

.44Mag seems kinda goofy in a SA revolver with such crude sights It's too much for defense, unnecessary for CAS, and for hunting you'd want a blackhawk with good sights or a scope. But .44spl.... I bet those would fly off the shelves. And no scrubbing of that horrid ring around the long chambers.

Same with the blackhawk, of course, but Taffin and Skelton have been angling for that from the factory for years with no progress. Enough that the old .357 flattops, both new and old, keep getting converted.

A 4-5/8" small-framed .44spl blackhawk/vaquero pair... mmmm...

-Daizee

1 - 15 of 15 Posts