Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished assembling a new 22/45 with a Tac-Sol Pac-Lite upper and a Volquartsen Frame. I have several questions:

1) How do I know that my upper is correctly mated and fitted with the lower? There is no "play" or feeling of "looseness" after assembly. The bolt stop does protrude slightly over the top of the upper receiver, so I'm guessing I did it correctly? The VQ Lower comes with spacers and I didn't adjust them at all.

2) I used a new OEM 22/45 bolt and I noticed that if I manually cycle the bolt, there is some resistance at the half way point, in which I need to use slightly more force to pull the bolt all the way back. Is this normal or did I mess up reassembly? I did follow multiple tutorials to ensure that the struct is correctly placed (the mainspring housing meets a bit of resistance at the last second when I put it in, which I think means I did it correctly).

I've also read that Tac-Sol uppers tend to have peening issues with the tang and slight displacement of the breech face after high round count. Can anyone verify that these are still problems to look out for and what can be done to minimize this? Is there a reassembly error that's the cause of these problems

Thanks!

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,684 Posts
Codename46, With what you posted in #1, it appears you did a good job. Of course "inspection by Internet" leaves a lot to be desired.

#2 .... In addition to pulling against the recoil spring, you are also pulling against the hammer. If you dry fire, you will notice it is considerably harder to pull the bolt back and you won't feel and mid point resistance. If you don't dry fire (hammer remains cocked) then you will feel some additional resistance when the base of the bolt pushes the hammer down. So ... I would say #2 is also normal.

Your last question .... all Ruger Mark Series pistols will peen the bolt face and the corresponding barrel and frame surface. This is not a critical measurement so it never really becomes an issue even after 10s of thousands of rounds. No amount of lubrication will prevent peening so you just have to accept it and go on with life.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Codename46, With what you posted in #1, it appears you did a good job. Of course "inspection by Internet" leaves a lot to be desired.

#2 .... In addition to pulling against the recoil spring, you are also pulling against the hammer. If you dry fire, you will notice it is considerably harder to pull the bolt back and you won't feel and mid point resistance. If you don't dry fire (hammer remains cocked) then you will feel some additional resistance when the base of the bolt pushes the hammer down. So ... I would say #2 is also normal.

Your last question .... all Ruger Mark Series pistols will peen the bolt face and the corresponding barrel and frame surface. This is not a critical measurement so it never really becomes an issue even after 10s of thousands of rounds. No amount of lubrication will prevent peening so you just have to accept it and go on with life.
Thank you very much for the helpful information. I am relieved that I did not make any critical errors but I report back with any problems after function testing at the range tomorrow.

·
Registered
947 Posts
If it cycles and operates properly when you pull the trigger, then you have likely assembled it correctly.

R,
Bullseye

1 - 4 of 4 Posts