Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10/22 that I've used for over 30 years. Love it. I recently bought a new stainless 10/22 for my grandson. What a disappointment compared to the old one. Terrible trigger pull, stove piping, and a six inch group at 50 yards with 5 different types of ammo. Fixed the trigger and stove piping with after market parts. I took the barrel off the old gun, put it on the new one and shot a 3/4 inch ten shot group. The problem followed the old gun. Bad barrel?? How many after market parts does a person have to buy to make it a decent rifle?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I have a 10/22 that I've used for over 30 years. Love it. I recently bought a new stainless 10/22 for my grandson. What a disappointment compared to the old one. Terrible trigger pull, stove piping, and a six inch group at 50 yards with 5 different types of ammo. Fixed the trigger and stove piping with after market parts. I took the barrel off the old gun, put it on the new one and shot a 3/4 inch ten shot group. The problem followed the old gun. Bad barrel?? How many after market parts does a person have to buy to make it a decent rifle?

Many old 10/22's seem to shoot better than new ones also. But my new ones have shot very good groups. It seems to be hit and miss with most Rugers now a days.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any recommendations for after market barrels that will fit the original stock and receiver? Not looking to build a bench rest rifle. Just something that's half assed accurate.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Best barrel for the money is probably a Green Mountain.

As far as how many parts you have to buy to get a decent rifle.........well, at least ONE more. Sorry, couldn't resist.............LOL!!!!

With as many guys as build "project" guns, a stock barrel should be a dime a dozen...........but you still won't know if it will be a good one

·
Banned
388 Posts
Call Ruger, explain the situation and have them put a new barrel on is what I would do
I agree! Thats the first thing I would have done. I have owned 20+ 10/22's in the past & present and have never seen a grouping from one of my stock rifles over 1"-1.25" at 50 yards. Quite a few easily under 1" with irons. I suspect you got a bad barrel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like it MSP3903. I'll have to get a hold of Ruger but I may have blown it by installing the Volquartsen stuff.

·
Registered
284 Posts
In the 70's I disassembled my new Ruger 10/22, I found chips from the threading of the scopemount holes. I chamfered them, I lightly honed the receiver and sharp edges on the bolt. I lubed it with moly and it's been a awesome gun ever since.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Looks like it MSP3903. I'll have to get a hold of Ruger but I may have blown it by installing the Volquartsen stuff.
I *think* the others have mentioned: Be sure you've giving it a good cleaning first and run it damn near dry.

Also like the others, I think you should get better shots than that.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Any update with Ruger? I don't think your aftermarket parts will be a problem. Do you have the old parts to reinstall if necessary? I am able to hit 3" metal targets at 110 yards with iron sights. I got lucky.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I'd tell them what you did with swapping the barrels and the results you got and that you'll send in just the barrel and they can send you a new one. Unfortunately I too understand being disappointed with the 10/22s they are putting out now. My daughters went back before we even shot it because the front sight fell off in the box on the way home with it. They had it for 2 weeks and sent it back saying they put a new barrel on it, which I'm almost certain is a lie. Still had the same blemish on it near the action and had some shims pounded in the front sight dovetail. Didn't even mention any of the other issues I told them about both on the phone and in the letter I sent with it. The whole deal has really shaken my confidence in ruger. After an absurd amount of polishing on the trigger group it shoots pretty good despite being insanely sloppy in the stock. I'll see if I can find a pic of the group it shot.

·
Registered
690 Posts
20160227_201438.jpg My 8 year old daughter did that, and yes she picked the target. That was at 25 or 30 yards, I can't remember for sure how long that range was, but that rounds 5-10 of the first 10 rounds she shot out of it. Open sights.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hopefully Ruger Company will aspire to the very highest standards of quality review and control.

My newer version Talo 10/22 International is outstanding.

I am reminded of the Thompson Contender muzzle loader barrel I had to send back to the factory after a couple years of ownership.....groups drifted,could not sight in any more....barrel "warped". Stuff happens.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Check the crown on your barrel. If Ruger won't do anything for you, lapping the crown is a very easy process and might be all you need.
+1 ~ I bought a barrel off Ebay to have threaded. When I sent it to the machinist, he emailed me and asked if I had shot the barrel, and if so, how were the groups. I hadn't, and he stated it had one of the worst factory crowns he had ever seen. He guaranteed it would shoot 1 ragged hole groups at 25 yards after it was threaded, and re-crowned. It does, and will shoot .50" groups at 50 yards now.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
View attachment 23743 My 8 year old daughter did that, and yes she picked the target. That was at 25 or 30 yards, I can't remember for sure how long that range was, but that rounds 5-10 of the first 10 rounds she shot out of it. Open sights.
I'm not so impressed with the 10/22, but your daughter... that little sister can shoot.:)

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
It sounds like the OP may have a problem with that specific 10/22. Hopefully he will get it fixed by Ruger

My post is about how the price has gone down.

(FWIW, I am eligible for SS retirement benefits and was shooting the original 10/22 rifles when they came out. Were they any better? Maybe, but in todays dollars they cost more.)_

Ruger sold the first 10/22 for $54.50 in 1964 per their ads.

The Ruger 10/22: Then & Now - Shooting Times

The original configuration was simply called the 10/22, and it featured a plain American walnut, military carbine-style stock; a blued 18.5-inch, round barrel (with six grooves and a 1:16-inch twist rate); a blued, aluminum-alloy receiver (produced by the investment casting process made famous by Bill Ruger Sr.); a folding rear sight; and a gold-bead front sight. It used the now-famous 10-shot rotary magazine that Bill Ruger Sr. came up with (see the accompanying sidebar for more about this landmark design), the receiver was drilled and tapped for a dovetail rail that allowed the use of narrow-base .22 scope rings, and it weighed a mere 5 pounds. The MSRP in 1964 was $54.50.

Per one of the time value of a dollar calculators, a dollar in 1964 would be worth $7.65 in todays dollars making the price of that 10/22 at $416 in today's dollars. DollarTimes.com | Inflation Calculator

Looking at the current Cabelas website (and people always whine that Cabelas doesn't sell cheap), the most expensive 10/22 is a folder, stainless barrel, etc and sells for $399 which would cheaper than the original 10/22.

Cabelas has three other versions that all sell for $259.99 including one with a wood stock. In 1964 dollars those models would sell for 40% less than the original $54.50. They would sell for $33.98.

Today's Rugers may not (or maybe they are) be better than the older models but Ruger has actually brought the price down.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Sorry to hear.
usually it's just a trigger kit or whole trigger group, and sights.

I've seen dozens on the AS firing line, yours is the first I've seen where the barrel had to go. But yes the quality of the trigger is all over the place, from not so great -to- really bad news.

I have 2 "newer ones" (last 10 years or so), same original barrel, but new TGs and stocks and sights. And they shoot just as good as my original one from the late 70's. They all have the same aftermarket TGs. (I did buy one of the new Ruger TG on sale to try and it works well enough - but again there have been mix reports) .

And all of mine will tight up their groups to better than 1/2 with match grade ammo, shooting from positions (compared to WallyWorld bricks of Remington or Federal).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts