Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Let me start by saying I have a Single Six Stainless convertible I bought about 30 years ago and have spent many enjoyably hours with it. Fast forward 27 years and I got my wife interested in shooting by getting her to try the Henry 22 carbine she gave me for my 70th birthday. She loved shooting it so much she took it for her own so I had to buy another for myself. Ok now a year later we were in Buds Guns and she saw a S&W 317 and fell in love with it. So now she shoots a carbine and a DA Smith.

Now yesterday my wife was out taking care of her affairs and I decided to hang out at one of our local gun shops. John the owner asked when I entered, interested in a Wrangler? He’d taken in 2 unfired ones and had a spectacular price on them. But I already owning a Single Six so I said no.
On the way home, I started thinking my wife might enjoy one so when she got home I asked her and she said she’d like to look at one. The shop is only 10 minutes from our home but by the time we got there both had sold. But there was a new one on the counter and she started eying it. John the owner said he’d knock 10% more off the normal discount and she jumped all over it.

Today we hit the range. What a great little revolver! She loves it and I’m amazed at the accuracy and what you get for such a low price.

At first it was shooting low a couple of inches but after a few cylinders I suggested changing ammo to some Federal bulk from Walmart, the red box with 550 rounds. Now it shot dead point of aim. We both couldn’t believe the difference in Winchester, 333 round bulk, and the federal.

Let me say both of us are impressed. While not as refined as my old Single Six it’s an incredible gun. The trigger on hers is excellent and crisp and you can eat the X out of a target.

Ive shot since I was a kid and reloaded for decades and know bullet weight, powder and charge affect point of impact but with her Wrangler it seemed more pronounced. Perhaps it due to the lighter bullets, just don’t know but it certainly impacted accuracy. I have 6 or eight different types of 22LR and will do a test shoot from my rest in the coming week.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
This reminds me of my used but unfired super single-six revolver that I picked up less than a year ago. I first tried some CCI-SV in it and it shot high and to the left and it was going to take quite a bit of cranking on the rear sight to get it to shoot to point of aim. So I then tried some Walmart/Federal 36gr high velocity bulk pack ammo in it, and darned if it didn't pretty much shoot dead on! I was really happy that I tried a different ammo before cranking on the rear sight. Myself, I am 75 years old and you never get to old to get excited about a new to you Ruger rimfire single action revolver. (y)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree! I’m almost 72 and still get excited about new toys.

I’m sure you know what happens when you get a new gun, you have to get new grips and other goodies to go with it. Arriving in a week or so are her new custom grips and hand tooled leather gun rug.

Looking back at it, she drives a Jeep Wrangler and she thought it’d be cool to have a Wrangler revolver too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts