Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new SR1911 and find the slide release lever is very stiff to operate. I have other semi-autos and even the new ones of them are not as stiff. Is there any way to alleviate this other than cycling the slide until my thumb falls off?
Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Shoot Safe and Often

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
You can ease the pressure off of it by pulling the slide back.

I've heard that just reaching up the with thumb and pulling it down to let the slide slam forward is a no-no (but I do it anyway - life's too short). Stronger hands help too. I think it's my SA "Loaded" that's pretty stiff. My EDC S&W "E" commander is pretty easy.

If they're too easy, they don't hold.

I suppose short of using a file, just keep breaking it in.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I would look for any burrs on the slide release or on the slide where it comes in contact with the slide release. If you have another slide release try that one.
Also check how the slide release shaft fits in the frame. Disassemble the pistol and put the slide release through the holes in the receiver and check for any binding. If there is no binding, put the barrel in place on the receiver (frame) and check foe any binding.
Worst case, check all areas where the slide release makes contact with the rest of the pistol. Look for wear mark's.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Its not a slide release lever, its the slide stop lever. Im not being a jerk by correcting you on the term. Its not meant to be pressed down to release the slide. The correct way to release the slide is to "sling shot" it. Grasp the slide at the rear cocking serrations, draw it back, and release it. Allow the recoil spring to snap the slide forward, and strip the round from the magazine. That is the correct way to release the slide. Don't push the slide stop lever down to release the slide.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts