Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Did my last shot double fire? Range Video of LC9s

We take videos when we go to the range, when I watched this one when I got home it sounds like the last shot from the LC9s double fired.
I've watched the video several times and can't see 2 hits or 2 shells coming out and I didn't feel anything odd when I was firing it.
It is possible the other shot came from the range next to us, but it seems unlikely.
The suspected double is on shot 7. I was sometimes loading 7+1 and sometimes just loading 7 in the mag, so I can't say if there were 7 or 8 rounds available to fire.
The only other 'malfunction' on the range today was the slide locked back one time while there was still one round in the mag, which was odd but I doubt it's related.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj6_M1ihe9g

I used the YouTube video editor to crop the video and slow it down 8x, it looses resolution but you can see the action clearer. I'm starting to think it did double fire, and that if it did, then I sent a 9mm well over the berm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vMhzlCGIP8

·
Registered
534 Posts
I check out the slow mo....................
I heard two reports,
But only saw your slide cycle once,
the dust behind the target, only one bloom of dust came up.
And watching the target itself, only saw one hole punched out?
Even if you did fire off a second round and you shot over the top.........you would think in slow-mo you would see the slide cycle twice.......which I did not!
Could be wrong but don't think so??:confused:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I've put the raw video into a video editor and watched it frame by frame (yeah this is bugging me). The camera shoots 30 frames per second. In the other shots the slide does cycle in less than 1/30th of a second.
I've been following the path of the brass which moves slower but at unpredictable speeds.
I can only see on piece of brass on the screen at a time on the last shot(s). In the first 2 frames after the shot, the visible brass moves a shorter distance than the other shots so I am not certain if the first piece is out of view and what is in the second frame is a new piece of brass or the continuation of the first piece. I can follow that piece of brass for 2 more frames.

Anyways, if it was not a double shot, what could cause the double report? And is the striker sticking and causing a slamfire even possible in this firearm?

If anyone is interested in the raw video I can post it for download. It's only 28meg.

Thanks,
eb

(edit/arrgh: there is actually a person named Pistol Slamfire, googling stuff was so much easier before hipsters came along)

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Don't know why you are bugged about this. There was no slamfire, and no double-fire. And you don't know if there was an extra hole in the paper. Time to relax.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Watched again on computer through YouTube, I am more convinced it was only one shot. Extra report sound may have been due to the slide locking back? Not a real clear double shot sound to me. Due to you only hearing the double it on the recording, I would say it si likely an anomaly with the video.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Muzzle flip looked harsher on last shot. Could be slide locking back. I had someting similar with my SR9c while shooting from reset and fired twice. I knew though that I had unintentionally done a double tap.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Never had it happen in many hundreds of rounds in two different LC9s and two different LC9Ss.

It DID happen once to my wife with my Ranch Rifle with a very light GunDoc trigger! Scared the crap out of her. Was almost a single hole in the target.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts