Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
I sorta felt that's what the future of our military looks like through the eyes of our current politicians.

really sad.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I know the feeling. I spent many years at Loring AFB in Maine. Three years after I retired from there they closed the base....after we had done a lot of upgrades to both the mission and the facility. When I last visited they had torn down the base housing, schools, and some of the barracks. The only thing in use was the largest hanger was turned into a tank/mil vehicle refurb facility. Sad days when visiting.:(

·
Banned
1,136 Posts
New wars will be fought in new ways like the Internet and special op troops. We no longer need monster bases and forts. It's called economic efficiency. WWIII will not be fought like WWII which was not fought like WWI.

That's the way it is.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Oh how wrong. Within a few years air superiority will be gone aircraft carriers will be rusting relics and we will be building armies of foot soldiers, heavy armor, and battleships.

No one has quite contemplated what the end of the bullet and guided missile mean.

New generations of mag cannons and lasers will bring a quick end to planes and missiles. Even the fastest drones will be cannon fodder for next gen weapons. Artillery also becomes most problematic. That leaves large numbers of solders slugging it it out toe to toe and massive armored battle ships of the line trying to wear each other down for borders (marines) at sea.

Armies and Navies that are not prepared will relegate their countries to 3rd works status.

·
Life is good
4,866 Posts
A great video and touching tribute to a "historic" training base!

Many installations were closed during that time due to the Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) decisions. I helped process a hundred or so equipment transfers within my assigned commands (Strategic Air Command and Air Combat Command).

The process is still on-going with the "Joint Base/Installation" structure. The military is trying to save taxpayer dollars and avert "political maneuvering" at the same time. Missions do change and politicians do retire.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I've seen it on both ends. I watched Webb AFB in Big Spring, TX close and almost took the entire town with it and also watched the Fire Training mission at Chanute and other missions move to Goodfellow AFB, TX. That realignment and growth was a bigger factor than most people know factor in the success of our national defense in the last couple of decades.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Spent 38 weeks in Chanute in 1970 for avionics training. Must have been 3-4K men in White Hall for several different career fields. I'm pretty sure the schooling ran 24hrs five days a week. Marching from barracks to school and chow halls was the bear. I think half the squadron had strep-throat over the winter.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I've watched the great Naval bases, Newport home of DESLANT and Quonset Point NAS almost disappear. Quonset did disappear. Newport is a fraction of the size it used to be and is now it's just the War College and classrooms for a number of schools.

I remember both in their hayday. Good memories.

·
Registered
423 Posts
New wars will be fought in new ways like the Internet and special op troops. We no longer need monster bases and forts. It's called economic efficiency. WWIII will not be fought like WWII which was not fought like WWI.

That's the way it is.
Wanna bet?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Very sad. Bases are closing up all over. Most all of the army posts that were in Germany are now all shut down. Our military is no where near what it once was in the early 90's.

BTW, that looks like a C-141 in your photo. I was on those at Charleston AFB as a flight engineer back in the late 80's.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Very sad. Bases are closing up all over. Most all of the army posts that were in Germany are now all shut down. Our military is no where near what it once was in the early 90's.

BTW, that looks like a C-141 in your photo. I was on those at Charleston AFB as a flight engineer back in the late 80's.
You have good eye, spent 20 years on The C141, first Norton AFB, then at McGuire, also spent lot of time at Charleston, still visit the place, love the food and stay on the base, great place to stay.

Here is website dedicated to us Starlifter personnel, if you go to the address book and browse you might see people you flew with, and don't forget to add yourself to the Guest Book.
Click below.
C141Heaven Home Page

·
Registered
2,494 Posts

That's the way it is.
Wanna bet?
Yes.

Its already begun. The fact is we are already under attack from China and other countries. Not a physical war mind you, a cyber war. They are already probing our defenses. They are already stealing our secrets.

Do we still need bases? Certainly we do. Always will. But we don't need them the way they were. They too must change. The day is coming when the bulk of our pilots won't ever leave the ground. The days of them sitting in F-15s are waning and the days when they sit in recliners is dawning. The time of the drone has arrived. RC fighters and bombers are not far behind.

I am reminded of an episode of Star Trek (The Ultimate Computer) and a great quote from Capt. Kirk, "There are certain things men must do to remain men. Your computer would take that away." We are already well entrenched in that computer takeover. My regards to Pilot Dunsel.

Gone are the days of firestorms and carpet bombing. I must admit though, there are a couple countries in dire need of new carpet or a nice coating of glass. But there is no will to do that anymore. Here or anywhere else.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts