Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Vietnam was not a fun place to be. Phu Bai Aug 64 to Jul 65.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Their stories will come out more and more in the next few years. My brother in law was a door gunner. Wounded twice. Died from the effects of Agent Orange would never talk about some of the things he experienced.

After he passed away my niece showed me a couple of his journals he had kept during and after his time in VN.

I cried as I read many of the entries. He and his pilots did some wild stuff to save trapped ground troops. I have encouraged her to share those journals with other members of the family.

He was a pretty neat guy. He died hard and quietly. I miss him.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Door Gunners were some Hard Core body stackers. My hats' off to all of them. They had a dreadfully short life expectancy. Beware of the old men in a profession where men die young.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Not only brave pilots and crew, Huey was one tough ship.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Heroes - period. Thanks for sharing the audio.

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
Terrific post Planeguy.
I had and have the utmost respect for the chopper pilots and their crews.
I am always amazed at the calm in their voices as they stare at possible devastation in front of them.
Every soldier, sailor and marine on the ground in Vietnam had stories about the lifesaving actions of heroic chopper pilots.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Is this the same guy that used his chopper as a weed whacker to clear an LZ?

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
These chopper pilots had Balls of Steel. The best of the best.
YUP. ^^ What he said, ^^.
Thanks for the share.

One of the very few things my Uncle ever said about Vietnam was absolutely hilarious. We were at a antique equipment show and this Huey flys by. He just started talking about the last time he was in a Huey.
When he came home to the U.S. He was stationed in Burbank ,CA for several months. He had to take a crane down and lift a motor out of a Huey. After they had installed the new one, the pilot tells him it was some Generals chopper, and they had to put , like, 20 hours on it before the General would fly in it. This pilot had also done several tours in Vietnam, So he ask Uncle to go for a ride. He says sure and off they go.
1st off, the pilot knew where every nude sun bather in the L.A. area was. Then they toured a few nude beaches. Uncle said they were about 150 to 175 feet up cruising along the waters edge, and he was in the co-pilots seat. He says the pilot all a sudden says " this next beach is all hippie protesters, and I hate these fu##ers". Uncle said he put that chopper into a dive so sudden, he thought they were going to crash right into the ground.
They go ripping up the beach so close to the ground, full throttle, that Uncle said he thought they were going to harpoon people with the skids. The hippies were trying to throw crap at them , but the prop wash was not only blowing all the stuff away, but it was rolling the hippies like dust bunny's away from the chopper and sand blasting the crap outta them.
One of the few times I ever seen him laugh or talk about anything vietnam related.
Before leaving CA, He bought Mickey Thompsons drag racer towing truck, he used to haul racers to the bonneville salt flats, , A 1952 Chevy with a V-8 Cadillac motor, and drove it home to PA. I remember when he came home. He still has the truck.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
An uncle of mine was one of the first door gunners in Vietnam. If imagine the experience recorded in that video is similar to what he experienced. He passed away last year. Looked like a Hell's Angel but was a great person who took care of his family without every asking for anything. His son has served in both the Marines and the Army.

A former manager of mine was on the ground in Vietnam. On the one occasion he talked about it he described having to call in an air strike on a position across a dirt path from where he and his squad were pinned down. (Not sure if squad is the correct term, he may have said something along the lines of "my men and I"). He passed away several years ago. Both of his sons attended West Point.

A friend of mine who also served in Vietnam (not sure in what capacity) is currently undergoing treatment for mesothelioma that is likely the result of exposure to something during his service.

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
They were all HEROES. interesting story about your uncle. would you have a picture of his truck?
No I dont have a pic. . He dont take it out much. The truck is in cherry condition. But its a candy colored blue 52 or 53 - 5 window Chevy with the factory bed. There was a picture of it in Hot Rod magazine hooked to the trailer hauling some car that they set a land speed record in @ Bonneville salt flats. I dont know what year the magazine was. Seems to me it was an early 1960's edition and the car was a Buick or Pontiiac powered, but they were painted the same color. I would have to ask Him or Dad for the details. I believe the car may have been the Challenger 1.

One time in the early 1980's he took me for a ride. We was going on a very long straight stretch and got behind a line of slow traffic. This Corvette comes from the back and starts passing everyone. Uncle pulled out and put the bumper right on his a$$. When the vette pulled right, Uncle mashed her on down and passed the Corvette. I will NEVER FORGET the look on the guys face. PRICELESS. I will also never forget when he mashed on it, I had my hand up on the seat back, and when the seat went back into the cab, my fingers got pinched, That 390 CID Caddy really has some smoke.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts