Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't do a search too far back, but figured I'd start the discussion.

What are everyone's views on the use of remanufactured ammo? Now, for the record, I'm not talking about the guy at the absolute back corner table at the gun show (you know the one, next to the janitor's exit where he takes the trash out to the dumpster) with the cardboard sign that says "Bubba's Reloadz". Or, even the more prolific Lester's "It Usually Works".

I'm talking about outfits like "LAX Ammunition" or "Freedom Munitions", or even maybe some of the smaller gun-show places. Does "remanufactured" get you thinking that it's lower quality? Does that make you pause?

Especially during these times and the times to come, is it foolish to hesitate to buy ammo because it's commercially remanufactured? Or, is the quality low enough that you'd rather shoot cheap, Russian steel-cased ammo (I know, many have good luck with it, too...but that's a different question) before trying anything marked "remanufactured".

Again, I'm talking established commercial outfits who do this in bulk, not some schmoe in his basement who inherited a Dillon and woke up one day saying "Hey, there's an ammo shortage...I can make some money off of this!"

I'll admit, the thought of it makes me hesitate, but only because I mentally equate it with "refurbished" (for right or wrong), with which I've had mixed results. But, I am also aware that we're not talking about HP Laptops, but ammo that has most likely been fired and reloaded...which I personally do on my own...as I am a reloader. So, I agree with the concept of reloading ammo.

I've never tried commercially reloaded ammo, so have no experience with it...hence my sending this question out to you folks.

Thanks in advance.

Aqualung

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have shot a lot of ammo from freedom munitions. Before i started to reload. It worked very well for me. I still have some of theirs in my steel stash box. The others i have not tried.

·
Exchequer
4,496 Posts
I've mentioned and recommended LAX Ammo previously on the forum. Have ordered thousands of rounds of their reloads in 9mm and 357 and never had any duds. Plus, they will ship free for new/first time customers. That alone is worth the price of admission in my opinion.

·
Cat Herder
1,630 Posts
The last two times I've bought Freedom I've not been impressed. Sticky extraction from revolver cylinders and doesn't hit to point of aim from my 1894CST. A new (not reman) Freedom 158 grain 357 mag hits several inches below an American Eagle 158.

I've gotten some Georgia Arms 357 mag reloads before and found that it was pretty good stuff, but it was also not as cheap as Freedom.

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've mentioned and recommended LAX Ammo previously on the forum. Have ordered thousands of rounds of their reloads in 9mm and 357 and never had any duds. Plus, they will ship free for new/first time customers. That alone is worth the price of admission in my opinion.
hlg,

Yep, I saw your post on the other thread and that got me thinking...

Thanks.

Aqualung

Reactions: hlg

·
Registered
327 Posts
I've had no problems with Freedom Munitions (45 ACP and 223). Midwest Ammunition works well. They are a smaller reman outfit and their ammo seems to be only available at a few ranges (Shoot Point Blank, Premier Range and Training and a couple others). That being said, like the OP, I get good mileage out of my own reloads and shoot twice as much for the same money.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
"Bubba's Reloadz".
First off I didn’t know bubba was into that.....I guess I need to send him a PM. :p

As far as buying ammo as you’ve described, I have in the past with zero issues. I know a lot of guys freak out about this but I’m not one of them.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,270 Posts
Views on Commercially Remanufactured ammo?

No

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
I have a good supply of remans from Freedom Munitions, no issue what so ever. I have been buying from them for a long time. Now, the reloads that try to get sold at gun shows (when they were allowed to happen) I stay away from. I feel those outfits are more fly by night types ...

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
I've bought from Freedom, but almost always it was loaded in new brass.

I was at an indoor range a few years ago and the guys in the lane next to me had a terrible jam with a Beretta carbine. Wasn't in battery and they couldn't pull the bolt back. Ended their range day to take the jammed carbine to a gunsmith. They were shooting reloads from one of the Northern IL companies. After they left, when I was cleaning up my brass, I found an odd looking case on the floor. It was the back one third of a 9mm case. The brass split and they must have jammed the live round into the stuck case body. It was a reloaded "IMT" or "FM" case (the ones with the internal step).

The commercial reloaders are limited in many are using brass trade ins which may not be structurally sound. Pay your money and take your chances.

(and I do like Brown Bear & Silver Bear steel case ammo)

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
I've shot the brown and silver with issues ... some ranges don't even permit it ...

·
Registered
226 Posts
A couple years ago I bought a few boxes of Precision One 44 mag. I could not tell the difference at 25 and 50 yards. I don't know how it would be in a lever but judging by the groups at 25 and 50 I would think it would be alright. I actually didn't know they were remanufactured boxes when I bought them... I saw the price and said "wow". lol Since then I bought 200 more to have in the stockpile.

As far as silver and brown bear 223, I use them for reflexive fire when I test my magazines. I bought about 5k of silver and brown bear in the Nov Obama won the election. I already had a lot, but figured it couldn't hurt to have a lot of this stuff considering it is/was so cheap. I don't keep my SD magazines loaded with them, but I would not lose any sleep if that is all I had left considering I have never had a problem with the ammo.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,174 Posts
I think the key is cost ..... you get what you pay for. If you just want plinking ammo, remanufactured ammo will probably be OK. If you want precision accuracy .... probably not.

Reactions: BigG and hlg

·
Registered
237 Posts
When I bought my first gun (Ruger 45LC OM) in 1973 I also bought a RCBS reloading kit. I've never had to buy reloads. Since then I cast and swage bullets for most of my calibers. I now have 6 different presses I would be very Leary of shooting any reloads that I didn't have control over the quality.

·
Registered
514 Posts
It's factory ammo or my own handloads for me. No experience here with commercially reloaded ammunition. I'm not knocking it I'm just not the most trusting soul. Too many unknowns for me.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I've used Freedom Munitions and L.A.X. Never had any problems with either. 9mm, .45acp, .44mag,, ,357mag is mostly what I purchased. I prefer the L.A.X. myself. They seem to load the ammo a bit hotter than Freedom.

·
Registered
35 Posts
To all here. Please don't take this as "gospel truth", but it is my understanding the LAX has bought out Freedom Munitions. Over the past few years I've heard & read of several "unpleasant" experiences with some Freedom Munitions ammo!!!!!! I actually live close to where F M's are manufactured. I don't know if their QC has changed lately, but, I'd be a bit reluctant to purchase a lot of their 'Re-Man' ammo. Another thing that bugged me, was a few years back I purchased some nice 45 acp plated bullets from Extreme Bullet Co, & when I went to reorder some here lately,I find that instead of still being made in Nevada, they are made locally by the same company as the 'old' Freedom Munitions company....... Not sure if the quality will be the same? Just my $ 0.02 worth folks......

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,757 Posts
Especially during these times and the times to come, is it foolish to hesitate to buy ammo because it's commercially remanufactured? Or, is the quality low enough that you'd rather shoot cheap, Russian steel-cased ammo (I know, many have good luck with it, too...but that's a different question) before trying anything marked "remanufactured".
When I began shooting my .45 and .38s regularly, I bought a big old can of remanufactured stuff from a well known company.

It all went kaboom. And then...a 9mm my brother-in-law bought from the same firm blew out at the case head, ripping the extractor of his Kahr (an all metal gun, btw) to pieces. Had it been a polymer frame, he'd have had a handful of plastic (my dislike of polymer frames is another topic).

The round was clearly overcharged with powder at the factory.

No thank you, I said, and never bought from the firm or any re-manufacturer again. By then I was already reloading. Now I reload most of what I shoot, though for home defense and hunting I buy only premium factory stuff. And to heck with steel case ammo. I don't trust it in my weapons.

It's not worth the risk buying remanufactured, whatever the "times to come," as you put it, might be. Admittedly, I shot 1000 rounds happily and my brother-in-law hundreds before he got a bad round.

Still, you'd be better off learning to reload. I have a Lester's sign over my bench to remind me to be careful. And then some.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts