Ruger Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks to all for your input.

I just want to clarify that I do not reload 9mm (yet), but am accumulating the brass to do so in the future.

As it happens, I bought a good stock of 9mm a bit back and have yet to shoot it...and at the sad rate I get to shoot, it'll last me quite a while.

I was just wondering what your thoughts were on it.

Thanks again.

Aqualung

·
Exchequer
4,486 Posts
To all here. Please don't take this as "gospel truth", but it is my understanding the LAX has bought out Freedom Munitions. Over the past few years I've heard & read of several "unpleasant" experiences with some Freedom Munitions ammo!!!!!! I actually live close to where F M's are manufactured. I don't know if their QC has changed lately, but, I'd be a bit reluctant to purchase a lot of their 'Re-Man' ammo. Another thing that bugged me, was a few years back I purchased some nice 45 acp plated bullets from Extreme Bullet Co, & when I went to reorder some here lately,I find that instead of still being made in Nevada, they are made locally by the same company as the 'old' Freedom Munitions company....... Not sure if the quality will be the same? Just my $ 0.02 worth folks......
I did some digging and found this article from 2019. In a nutshell, Freedom filed for bankruptcy and was purchased by an Idaho company, Kash CA, Inc, which does have an interest in LAX range and ammo.

Howell Munitions & Tech has new owner

·
Premium Member
13,944 Posts
I will buy it upon inspection and if it is veteran owned. Other than that it is my reloads or self defense ammo.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have personally bought and shot thousands of rounds of reloaded ammo from LAX, Freedom, Miwall, and others with absolutely zero problems.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I didn't do a search too far back, but figured I'd start the discussion.

What are everyone's views on the use of remanufactured ammo? Now, for the record, I'm not talking about the guy at the absolute back corner table at the gun show (you know the one, next to the janitor's exit where he takes the trash out to the dumpster) with the cardboard sign that says "Bubba's Reloadz". Or, even the more prolific Lester's "It Usually Works".

I'm talking about outfits like "LAX Ammunition" or "Freedom Munitions", or even maybe some of the smaller gun-show places. Does "remanufactured" get you thinking that it's lower quality? Does that make you pause?

Especially during these times and the times to come, is it foolish to hesitate to buy ammo because it's commercially remanufactured? Or, is the quality low enough that you'd rather shoot cheap, Russian steel-cased ammo (I know, many have good luck with it, too...but that's a different question) before trying anything marked "remanufactured".

Again, I'm talking established commercial outfits who do this in bulk, not some schmoe in his basement who inherited a Dillon and woke up one day saying "Hey, there's an ammo shortage...I can make some money off of this!"

I'll admit, the thought of it makes me hesitate, but only because I mentally equate it with "refurbished" (for right or wrong), with which I've had mixed results. But, I am also aware that we're not talking about HP Laptops, but ammo that has most likely been fired and reloaded...which I personally do on my own...as I am a reloader. So, I agree with the concept of reloading ammo.

I've never tried commercially reloaded ammo, so have no experience with it...hence my sending this question out to you folks.

Thanks in advance.

Aqualung
Well, friend.... before I started reloading I used a lot of Freedom Munitions and LAX reloads. They were just fine, no serious problems. I guess you would call me “Bubba” because I roll my own. But my reloads are better than the factory stuff, and I trust them more.. Because I made each round. Also, I can reload pistol calibers for about $0.13 a shot and 223/5.56 for my Mini-14 for about $0.23 a shot.

·
Registered
8 Posts

What are everyone's views on the use of remanufactured ammo? Now, for the record, I'm not talking about the guy at the absolute back corner table at the gun show (you know the one, next to the janitor's exit where he takes the trash out to the dumpster) with the cardboard sign that says "Bubba's Reloadz". Or, even the more prolific Lester's "It Usually Works".

I'm talking about outfits like "LAX Ammunition" or "Freedom Munitions", or even maybe some of the smaller gun-show places. Does "remanufactured" get you thinking that it's lower quality? Does that make you pause?

Especially during these times and the times to come, is it foolish to hesitate to buy ammo because it's commercially remanufactured? Or, is the quality low enough that you'd rather shoot cheap, Russian steel-cased ammo (I know, many have good luck with it, too...but that's a different question) before trying anything marked "remanufactured".

Again, I'm talking established commercial outfits who do this in bulk, not some schmoe in his basement who inherited a Dillon and woke up one day saying "Hey, there's an ammo shortage...I can make some money off of this!"

I'll admit, the thought of it makes me hesitate, but only because I mentally equate it with "refurbished" (for right or wrong), with which I've had mixed results. But, I am also aware that we're not talking about HP Laptops, but ammo that has most likely been fired and reloaded...which I personally do on my own...as I am a reloader. So, I agree with the concept of reloading ammo.

I've never tried commercially reloaded ammo, so have no experience with it...hence my sending this question out to you folks.

Thanks in advance.

Aqualung
I’ve used freedom ammunition and had great results. My CZ in 45acp eats up their semi wad cutters with no problem. With a reputable store like Lax I wouldn’t hesitate to use it

·
Registered
14 Posts
I’ve run 1000’s of LAX reman rounds with very few issues. For the price (pre Covid panic) you can’t beat it. 9mm 380 223 and 556. Added bonus is sometimes you’ll order reman and they will be out of stock after you order and they will send an “upgraded” order and ship their house brand. LAX and freedom munitions are sister companies so both are quality for the price. They usually have the best prices on bulk name brands too when the big box stores are out of stock.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I’ve had good luck with Georgia Arms’ reloads to include .38 Special, .357 Mag and .45 Auto Rim. They’re my primary .32 H&R Mag source...but that’s new brass. I noticed they are not taking new orders right now.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Like Npela, I roll my own and have for much longer than I care to think about. I was also one of those remanfacturers, many years ago, and have reloaded well over 1 million rounds, of which I pulled the handle on each and every round. When I had my shop I had 2 Dillon 1000 presses, one for large and one for small primers (the part that takes the longest and is hardest to adjust). The only round I ever had come back was a factory .270 round from some South African company, although they worked fine in my .270. Mostly because my inspection procedure was pretty detailed. It still is today, although it's different depending on what it's to be used for. Hunting and self defense ammo gets the full monty, including chambering (which I do for any factory ammo as well... I've seen too many failures over the years). For plinking ammo, which is not loaded as hot, it's not as stringent and I will confess to some failures to chamber over the years, usually from brass that was long beyond its prime!
Most high volume reloaders use machines that do the entire process from loading the brass to packaging. I have no idea what kind of inspection process they have (or dont have), but while I've seen a few failures with them, it's usually something that doesn't allow the round to chamber, not something dangerous like an over-load. I would not hesitate to use them for plinking.
The bottom line is, the only ammo I trust 100% is ammo that I've loaded myself. I know how much powder each case contains, that the primer is seated correctly, that the brass has a clear flash hole, etc., etc., etc.! I do carry factory ammo in my EDC, but only because at the time, I couldn't buy the bullets seperately and load them myself. Each round has been chamber checked and primers inspected for height, which is about all you can do with factory ammo. Underwood has a good rep, so I'm not really worried but I can't tell that each and every round has powder and will go bang... but I trust it 99.9%. Mine is 100%. I know it will chamber, that the primer is good and it has the right amount of powder. I would stake my and my loved ones lives on it.
Cheers,
crkckr

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I have used both Georgia Arms (not taking orders at last check) and North Georgia Arms (who I can't seem to find lately). Both have been great with more consistent quality than lower end new ammo.

·
Registered
48 Posts

Thanks in advance.

Aqualung
I used to shot a lot of Freedom Munitions remanufactured ammo. Never had a problem with it. Unfortunately, neither Freedom nor LAX have any ammo for sale in 9mm, .380 or 45acp in the regular target shooting permutations. I'm not going to bankrupt myself and practice with expensive, self defense ammo. I can get plenty of shotgun and .22 lr ammo at my local Walmart, and that's what I'll play with down at the range. For a while, there was a shortage of toilet paper but eventually the manufacturers ramped up production. i don't know why centerfire ammo continues to be in short supply. You'd think the manufacturers would ramp up production and make more money. The supply of firearms hasn't abated. I still get emails from Sportsman and PSA touting various handguns both new and surplus. Why buy a handgun for which I can't get ammo?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts