Ruger Forum banner

Vintage M77 458 Sight-In - Shooting Comparison at Post 31

3K views 44 replies 20 participants last post by  Donnieweps 
#1 ·
I took my recently acquired 74’-75’ M77 out today to sight-in after a complete disassembly/cleaning. Ammo used was Hornady 500gr DGS at a range of 50 yards. 1st shot was high/left - estimated adjustments made. 2nd shot was center/left - final adjustment made. Last shots were all X’s. I’d call that good for open sights - for my eyes at least!
Plant Air gun Tree Shotgun Gun barrel
Air gun Trigger Shotgun Motor vehicle Font

See less See more
#45 ·
For fun "plinking" loads, I use 23gr of Trail Boss and a Hornady 300gr JHP which gives 1353fps/1219 ft lbs. Just a fun load to shoot.

I posted some time ago about my Ruger No.1 in .458 Win. Then I had a scope on it. Got tired of it, long time ago, I got a cut on my forehead from a scope when sighting in a rifle with significant recoil but considerably less than the .458. So, I scoot far enough back to avoid that but that dramatically reduces the field of view.

So, off with the scope and had a good gunsmith install Pachmayr's most effective recoil pad. Geatly prefer the appearance of the iron sighted gun and it's feel. Don

#16 ·
Still looks great, and as you have demonstrated, it is accurate. Knowing the history would be great. If you can't dig the history up, make up some history;). How about "the previous owner had a very close call hunting in Africa with this rifle - stopped a charging Cape buffalo at 10 yards with the last shot in the magazine." You can substitute lion if you wish.

#18 ·
It seems to me (memory not what it used to be) that someone made a peep sight that mounted on a Ruger scope 'dovetail'. As hard as open sights are getting for me that would be something that I needed to find out about*. I have 'kicked' myself for several decades now for not buying a reasonably priced Number 3 in .375 that showed up in a local gunshop. My imagination just didn't grasp that it would/could be a lot of fun with lighter handloads at the time.

* Better late than never I suppose, it occurred to me that my Gunsite Scout already has a rear peepsite. Wonder if one of those would fit your rifle (not that you ever said you needed one but ...

Bruce

#26 ·
Years ago, I had the opportunity to shoot both the Ruger # 1 and the 77 ; both in 458 Win Mag. I was pleasantly surprised that the #1 recoiled less than the 77. Shot both standing up. Don't think I would want to shoot either from a bench ! You da man ! I also was impressed that both were heavy pushes, not whacks in recoil. But from standing. I still believe the 458 is a grand cartridge and in the 77, awesome combo. Don't let it get away!

#28 ·
Woodnut I am not terribly recoil sensitive but this rifle is probably nearing my limit. I will zero the Remington 700 tomorrow and am curious if I perceive a difference in recoil with it’s lighter weight and Monte Carlo style stock. The Ruger is not going anywhere regardless!

#31 · (Edited)
Shooting comparison between the M77 and Remington 700:

The rifles were very similar in terms of accuracy (my eyes are the main factor affecting any variance). The Remington had a noticeably smoother action and the triggers on both were superb. The recoil on the Remington was noticeably more violent - probably due to weight and perhaps stock design?

Overall I am very pleased with both rifles - now to the decision is which one to keep!

Air gun Trigger Shotgun Motor vehicle Font
Arrow Red Precision sports Shotgun Recreation

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.