Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Pennsylvania and have a PA license to carry firearms. My PA lisence is honored in the States I’ll be driving through, West Virginia, Virginia and North Carolina but not South Carolina. I’ve heard I can keep my loaded hand gun legally in my glove box while I’m in the car, or transport it to my hotel room. Any thoughts?

·
Banned
4,290 Posts
Here's a link to SC's state website. According to sub-paragraph (9) you're good to go providing the glove compartment is locked.

First "EDIT": I just re-read and it appears that the glove compartment must only be "closed" but the gun case should be locked. I think they purposely write these laws somewhat vague.

2nd "EDIT": After a 3rd reading, I have no idea of what they're saying. :confused: It looks like your OK without a locked container exactly as you described in your OP. :confused: :confused:

Maybe someone else, preferably a SC LEO or attorney, can reply. I know now why I didn't go to law school. :D

Click Here> South Carolina Law Enforcement Division

Or, just keep driving south into Florida, The Gunshine State. Your PA permit is honored here. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Same For Georgia, PA license is recognized. We live about five miles from the GA/SC line and I have no idea why SC is the way they are. But for that reason alone, wife and I avoid the place as best we can.

GeorgiaPacking.org's Reciprocity Page

Welcome South brother!
Can you recommend a nice place to spend a few weeks on the Atlantic coast to escape the snow and cold of Northwester PA.

·
Banned
4,290 Posts
Can you recommend a nice place to spend a few weeks on the Atlantic coast to escape the snow and cold of Northwester PA.
Hey Frank, If you really want to escape the ice, snow and cold, I highly recommend the beautiful weather and white sandy beaches of the Gulf Coast of Florida. You'll be pretty much guaranteed beautiful, warm, sunshiny days. Especially February, March and usually April. Also, your PA concealed carry permit is honored here so you won't have that issue to worry about. It's probably an easier drive from western Pennsylvania to Florida's gulf coast that it would be to drive to the east coast of South Carolina or Georgia. Definitely a lot warmer too.

Wherever you decide to go, enjoy! Semper Fidelis, brother. :)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Yes it is true, You can carry cocked and locked in the glove box or center console or trunk. No permit needed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Frank, If you really want to escape the ice, snow and cold, I highly recommend the beautiful weather and white sandy beaches of the Gulf Coast of Florida. You'll be pretty much guaranteed beautiful, warm, sunshiny days. Especially February, March and usually April. Also, your PA concealed carry permit is honored here so you won't have that issue to worry about. It's probably an easier drive from western Pennsylvania to Florida's gulf coast that it would be to drive to the east coast of South Carolina or Georgia. Definitely a lot warmer too.

Wherever you decide to go, enjoy! Semper Fidelis, brother. :)
Thank you sounds good. Stay safe

·
Registered
307 Posts
There are a few Apps out there for this info. I like one called CCW. You just click the state and it will tell you everything you need to know in that state, from transportation, states that recognize your CCW, prohibited areas, Duty to inform officer, signage laws, AG and Police Contact info. It is updated all the time. I really like it.

·
Registered
343 Posts
My daughter works for a Sheriff's Office here in SC and I have checking on the carry law for you here in SC. I will try and let you know as soon as she gets back with me.

If you are looking for a nice place in SC I would recommend Myrtle Beach. There are a couple of great Gun Shops with indoor shooting ranges. Beautiful beaches and you can find some really cheap rates this time of year. I live 2-1/2 hours inland from Myrtle and it was in the 50's here today.

If you want something more historical, try Charleston, SC. Some great places to tour including Fort Sumter and you can go see the Hunley there. It was be more expensive there.

If you want something real quiet, try Hilton Head. It is near Savannah, Ga so you can check out that area as well. All three places are nice areas and you can find some great seafood and low country cooking.

SC is a great state to visit. Good luck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My daughter works for a Sheriff's Office here in SC and I have checking on the carry law for you here in SC. I will try and let you know as soon as she gets back with me.

If you are looking for a nice place in SC I would recommend Myrtle Beach. There are a couple of great Gun Shops with indoor shooting ranges. Beautiful beaches and you can find some really cheap rates this time of year. I live 2-1/2 hours inland from Myrtle and it was in the 50's here today.

If you want something more historical, try Charleston, SC. Some great places to tour including Fort Sumter and you can go see the Hunley there. It was be more expensive there.

If you want something real quiet, try Hilton Head. It is near Savannah, Ga so you can check out that area as well. All three places are nice areas and you can find some great seafood and low country cooking.

SC is a great state to visit. Good luck.
Thank you for the help and suggestions. My wife and I are planning on Pawley’s Island SC a few miles south of Myrtle Beach. We were there last winter for a month and found a great condo on the beach. We use the beach more for walking than swimming. As you will know the average air temp when we come down is around 60 degrees not as warm as Florida but compared to Northwester PA if feels really nice. I’ve been to a few the gun shops in that area especially the one in Murrells Inlet.

Another great place to visit in the upstate is Greenville. I do a lot of road cycling and we were there a few years ago to watch the US Pro Cycling Championships. Most of the pro cycling teams that I only see on TV were there and I even had the opportunity to ride the race course. There is a climb just outside or Greenville called Paris Mountain. The pro’s go up the 2 mile climb in like 12 min. It took me 25, I was going up the climb just fast enough so I did not fall over, Ha,Ha,Ha.

·
Registered
301 Posts
The glove box does NOT HAVE to be locked. I carry mine like that all the time

·
Registered
335 Posts
My understanding from my CCP instructor was that it was "political" they don't recognize our CCW so we don't recognize theirs.
Political...go figure.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Pawley's Island is a great place too. It is between Myrtle Beach & Charleston. I go to the gun shop in Murrells Inlet every year and shoot in their range while I am there on vacation. I even bought a Ruger 22/45 from him one year when I was there.

There is a great place to eat in North Lynchfield Beach called Hanser House. Best seafood around. Their Shecrab Soup is to die for. In fact, the owner of the gin shop in Murrells Inlet is the one who put me on to that place. he said he had eaten Shecrab Soup all up and down the east coast and theirs was the best.

I grew up in the upstate in Clemson (near Greenville) so I am very partial to that part of the state. Love the mountains and we were in the foothills.

Have a great vacation and enjoy SC. It is a great state. Be safe.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pawley's Island is a great place too. It is between Myrtle Beach & Charleston. I go to the gun shop in Murrells Inlet every year and shoot in their range while I am there on vacation. I even bought a Ruger 22/45 from him one year when I was there.

There is a great place to eat in North Lynchfield Beach called Hanser House. Best seafood around. Their Shecrab Soup is to die for. In fact, the owner of the gin shop in Murrells Inlet is the one who put me on to that place. he said he had eaten Shecrab Soup all up and down the east coast and theirs was the best.

I grew up in the upstate in Clemson (near Greenville) so I am very partial to that part of the state. Love the mountains and we were in the foothills.

Have a great vacation and enjoy SC. It is a great state. Be safe.
My wife and I have eaten a few times at the Hanser House in fact three years ago we were there for Thanksgiving. We stay next door at the Litchfield Beach and Golf Resort they have great off season winter rates for their condo’s.

Thank you

·
Registered
126 Posts
My wife and I have eaten a few times at the Hanser House in fact three years ago we were there for Thanksgiving. We stay next door at the Litchfield Beach and Golf Resort they have great off season winter rates for their condo’s.

Thank you
You didn't mention Beaufort SC (same county as Hilton Head), between Charleston SC and Savannah GA, and home of Parris Island. I thought maybe you knew of it, from the USMC insignia as your icon. There is a great beach there for camping and walking - Hunting Island, a state park. The town has kept its small-town feel.

·
Registered
343 Posts
The law in SC (as per our Sheriff's Office) is that you can carry your handgun in your glove box or console & it does not have to be locked. Unfortunately, you can't carry it on you since we do not have a reciprocating agreement with Pennsylvania.

Hope this helps. Have a great vacation in SC & be safe.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
You didn't mention Beaufort SC (same county as Hilton Head), between Charleston SC and Savannah GA, and home of Parris Island. I thought maybe you knew of it, from the USMC insignia as your icon. There is a great beach there for camping and walking - Hunting Island, a state park. The town has kept its small-town feel.
I know all about P.I. Spent 11 ½ there going through boot camp but I never thought of it as a place I would want to spend my vacation. Plus it would remind me of the buddies I lost in Viet Nam.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts