Ruger Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking at this trigger mod group on ebay for my 10/22. It's a bit pricey, but I got a pretty good deal on mine so it would offset some of the cost.

Ruger 10 22 Metal Trigger Group Gray Volquartsen Internals CNC Trigger | eBay

Also, I just bought a NOS factory wooden stock on ebay in mint condition for $39.99 as mine has the black synthetic stock.

I'm not looking to give my gun a "tactical" look. I just want a quality traditional wooden 10/22 except with an all metal trigger and housing instead of the current plastic ones. Plus, this has the bolt hold open mod as well as a Volquartsen competition trigger with a 2.5-3.0 lb pull.

Is this a good buy? Is the company that does this work reputable?

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
There is NO WAY on God's little green earth I'd spend even CLOSE to that for what that is.

You're basically getting a factory Ruger housing that's only had a $35-40 basic hammer kit installed and a colored $16 trigger. Wouldn't even give $100 for that!
Add in the puffed up description and yeah. Avoid!

Claims:
It is all new and unused!!!
The trigger job was completed at our Federally Licensed Facility.
All of the parts are new.
We get the triggers groups from Ruger and then we complete the customized trigger groups in house.
We start with a Ruger pre 2008 type all aluminum housing that can be black powder coat, silver/gray powder coat finish.
Then we install a Volquartsen's competition Hammer and spring kit.
The trigger pull will be between 2.5 to 3.0 Lbs.
We also install a auto bolt release.

• New and unused - that's a good thing
• "Federally Licensed facility" LOTS of places are federally licensed and no exact mention of exactly what license this one is for. More fluff than anything else.
• New...again???
• Ruger hasn't had these in production for years yet these folks supposedly still get them from there. I do believe Clark bought the factory's remaining inventory when they changed to the polymer ones.
• Add $40 simple kit that can easily be installed by about anyone in minutes. My 11yo has done this exact kit a couple times.
• Uses a digital gauge but can't give the exact weight? Oh, those my 11yo installed...yup, got the same 2.5 +/- range too. So easy even a child can do it. :)
• A couple minutes with a Dremel or another $9 part and you have the auto bolt release

Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere. Heck do it yourself. :)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
There is NO WAY on God's little green earth I'd spend even CLOSE to that for what that is.

You're basically getting a factory Ruger housing that's only had a $35-40 basic hammer kit installed and a colored $16 trigger. Wouldn't even give $100 for that!
Add in the puffed up description and yeah. Avoid!

Claims:
It is all new and unused!!!
The trigger job was completed at our Federally Licensed Facility.
All of the parts are new.
We get the triggers groups from Ruger and then we complete the customized trigger groups in house.
We start with a Ruger pre 2008 type all aluminum housing that can be black powder coat, silver/gray powder coat finish.
Then we install a Volquartsen's competition Hammer and spring kit.
The trigger pull will be between 2.5 to 3.0 Lbs.
We also install a auto bolt release.

• New and unused - that's a good thing
• "Federally Licensed facility" LOTS of places are federally licensed and no exact mention of exactly what license this one is for. More fluff than anything else.
• New...again???
• Ruger hasn't had these in production for years yet these folks supposedly still get them from there. I do believe Clark bought the factory's remaining inventory when they changed to the polymer ones.
• Add $40 simple kit that can easily be installed by about anyone in minutes. My 11yo has done this exact kit a couple times.
• Uses a digital gauge but can't give the exact weight? Oh, those my 11yo installed...yup, got the same 2.5 +/- range too. So easy even a child can do it. :)
• A couple minutes with a Dremel or another $9 part and you have the auto bolt release

Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere. Heck do it yourself. :)
OK, but where do I look to get what I need? I want the whole metal trigger group in one piece I can install with the the bolt hold open feature. I don't want to do it part by part or having to drill anything. I don't yet have a workshop or the know how to do this (I live in an apartment). Also, this guy has sold dozens of these things and has stellar ebay feedback, not an easy thing to maintain if your a con artist. I sell on ebay so I should know.

I'm grateful for your criticisms on this, as I don't want to get ripped off, but can you give me any useful links where I can get something like this for cheaper?

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Should be able to find a standard alloy assembly on ebay as well. The parts...check ShootersDiscount for the VQ stuff if those are the parts you want.
One thing I've noticed these last few years is that ppl with little to no experience with good triggers think even the simple DIY hammer changes give simply fantastic results. They think this because they don't really have anything to compare it to. Couple in the difficulty of giving anything but a positive feedback on ebay and, well...

Check on ebay for the housings, should be in the $60-80 range depending on the market for them on a given week. Be able to find one that matches your finish too not the grey one.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Should be able to find a standard alloy assembly on ebay as well. The parts...check ShootersDiscount for the VQ stuff if those are the parts you want.
One thing I've noticed these last few years is that ppl with little to no experience with good triggers think even the simple DIY hammer changes give simply fantastic results. They think this because they don't really have anything to compare it to. Couple in the difficulty of giving anything but a positive feedback on ebay and, well...

Check on ebay for the housings, should be in the $60-80 range depending on the market for them on a given week. Be able to find one that matches your finish too not the grey one.
The vendor on ebay selling those trigger units has black, grey, and a multitude of other colors available. I must have black, so that works out for me. Also, the 2.5-3.0 trigger pull isn't a big deal to me, but if it's better then then factory specs it's all the more of a bonus. What I really want is an all metal/aluminum trigger and guard that looks great with the bolt hold open release.

Thanks, but what your suggesting is a bit by bit, part by part search and assembly that will probably cost me more in time and frustration then buying the whole unit together. Also, that $169 price tag may not be set in stone.

I will look around for some other available options.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Not suggesting the bit-by-bit method at all. You should be able to find a complete alloy trigger assembly on ebay, GunBroker forums, etc for much less. The prices do fluctuate so anywhere in the $60-90 range is the norm. Could actually probably find a stripped one easy and then locate the factory parts even easier. Could certainly go this route, spending nearly $200 but you're getting a $40 trigger kit in a $60-90 assembly. For that $200 you can get a GOOD trigger. Just how you responded about it being possibly better than factory specs, I'm taking a guess you're not current on factory specs. It's the newer less, knowing folks I like to keep from wasting their money on over-hyped stuff.

So, check ebay, GunBroker, Rimfire Central, here....try the WTB method on the forums. Lots of folks that would help. Heck, if you had a stripped housing, I think I have most of the tae-off parts to reassemble a trigger. the rest, easily obtained from Ruger. If having one "right now" is worth the additional $100 or so, by all means. This is a perfect case of doing your homework first and not being hooked and reeled in.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I asked the ebay seller about this, and his reply was:

"That's right, Clark Customs guns bought all of rugers metal housings. I bought several hundred housings from C C G. You can buy a custom trigger group from C C G but they don't use any volquartsen parts. We sell these in our gun shop and stand behind them. Look at our feedback, the private auctions, they are the trigger housings. No bad feedback on any triggers housings."

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Ok, and...? You think they're going to say anything negative about their product? They say they buy direct from Ruger and then it's Clark? Hmmm, not too straight-up right there. Simply having VQ parts doesn't mean theirs is anything spectacular either. The VQ parts are decent, sure but also the cheapest route to go as far as the DIY kits go. While Clark doesn't use VQ parts, I'd certainly go with one that Clark has worked over before an equally priced DIY kit install. Clark has done Ruger for quite a long time and built a solid reputation. They don't simply rely on ebay. Look at Clarks stuff.

Like I said, but what you want from whom you want but IMO, this is a horrible deal. It's nothing but a regular factory assembly with a $35-40 hammer. Compare that to what the GOOD trigger cost. On the other hand, if a regular ole trigger assembly with a 5 minute hammer change is $170, I got a small fortune just sitting around.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, and...? You think they're going to say anything negative about their product? They say they buy direct from Ruger and then it's Clark? Hmmm, not too straight-up right there. Simply having VQ parts doesn't mean theirs is anything spectacular either. The VQ parts are decent, sure but also the cheapest route to go as far as the DIY kits go. While Clark doesn't use VQ parts, I'd certainly go with one that Clark has worked over before an equally priced DIY kit install. Clark has done Ruger for quite a long time and built a solid reputation. They don't simply rely on ebay. Look at Clarks stuff.

Like I said, but what you want from whom you want but IMO, this is a horrible deal. It's nothing but a regular factory assembly with a $35-40 hammer. Compare that to what the GOOD trigger cost. On the other hand, if a regular ole trigger assembly with a 5 minute hammer change is $170, I got a small fortune just sitting around.
OK thanks, I will check Clark.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts