Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As mentioned in another thread, I am waiting for a "new to me" Ruger mark II .22 LR pistol to be delivered to my FFL dealer.
I have seen several videos and read many comments over the years on this forum about replacing Ruger original parts with Volquartsen parts.
Every thread praises how much better the after market Volquartsen parts are over the original equipment parts.
In the videos I have seen the Volquartsen parts look to be identical to the parts being replaced.
The latest video I watched was replacing the firing pin and extractor on a Mark II. All the parts looked the same.
I read about people buying a new Ruger 10/22 or a Mark series pistol and replacing brand new parts.
So my question, if the gun goes "BANG" where is the value added in replacing a working part with a more expensive part?
I am old and I grew up poor, what am I missing?
Thanks in advance for attempting to educate me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
As mentioned in another thread, I am waiting for a "new to me" Ruger mark II .22 LR pistol to be delivered to my FFL dealer.
I have seen several videos and read many comments over the years on this forum about replacing Ruger original parts with Volquartsen parts.
Every thread praises how much better the after market Volquartsen parts are over the original equipment parts.
In the videos I have seen the Volquartsen parts look to be identical to the parts being replaced.
The latest video I watched was replacing the firing pin and extractor on a Mark II. All the parts looked the same.
I read about people buying a new Ruger 10/22 or a Mark series pistol and replacing brand new parts.
So my question, if the gun goes "BANG" where is the value added in replacing a working part with a more expensive part?
There’s bang and then there is smooth bang

·
Registered
762 Posts
The VQ sear (and bolt, recoil spring guide rod, maybe some other parts) is/are much more polished, and the extractor is better shaped for reliable extraction.

The VQ firing pin is a little wider, heavier. I think it's better than Ruger's current Titanium FP, but it's not much better than Ruger's old steel FP.

Really, about the only VQ part that I don't like is their "target hammer". The notch for the strut is cut too wide IMO, and the lightening (by drilling a big hole in it) makes it more likely to produce light strikes. I only run with the original MKII style Ruger hammer in my pistols.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Frankly, you don't really need any of it. It's the wanting that gets you. Some of the parts that really make a difference are better gun sights for old eye's, a better fitting stock grip and possibly a smoother trigger pull kit for better feel and accuracy. But having said that I have many guns that are totally stock and enjoy them all.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. Yrunvs, I like the way you think.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Just my 2 cents from my own experience. My best shootin' buddy and I both bought new MKIVs in the summer of '20. He bought a Hunter; I bought the Competition Model. I also have a MKII Government Model Target, and my friends brother has a regular 5" bull barrel target MKII that we have shot a lot. Both our 2's are well broken in and have excellent triggers.

After running about 500 of so rounds through the two new 4's we both felt the triggers in the new 4's didn't measure up to the older 2's. We both bought the VQ Competition kits from Optics Planet and sent them off to VQ for installation and tuning. Both came back in around nine days. Great people to deal with ... zero issues. Both are clean, crisp trigger pulls right around 2#.

After shooting all four guns we decided that the MKIIs were pretty good as is and to not do anything to them. But we're both REAL happy with the improvements to the MKIVs. Your mileage may vary. (also, shown here my Clark)

Air gun Trigger Revolver Line Gun barrel

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
I love to " tinker " with my Rugers ( Standard, MKII, MKIII, MKIV ), and always looking for improved performance ( if that is possible ). As posted above it's the idea of upgrading an already excellent gun. But I have had an issue with the Volquartsen target hammer; the strut is wider and more blunt than the stock Ruger hammer, and on two occasions I have had the strut actually come off the mainspring cup; I was shooting along and the gun was running just fine, and then it just quit ( like the trigger was not connected to anything.) Upon disassembling the gun, I found nothin wrong except the hammer strut had simply come off of the main spring cup.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just like to tinker. That said, I replaced the firing pin and extractor in my 10/22 with Volq parts and I haven’t had a single FTE or FTF since.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Obviously you lack the spendthrift gene.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've hunted, shot, collected firearms for well over 50 years. And rarely have I modified any of my weapons beyond occasional replacement with original manufacturer parts. Both my Mark IV Target and Mark IV 22/45 are glaring exceptions. I installed Volquartsen's Accurizing Kit on both. The Volquartsen components turn these pistols into target pistols.

Other than also installing Ruger checkered wood grips on the 22/45 I've changed nothing else. To me, the Volquartsen Kit turned them into $700 plus guns. I bought the kits direct for $141 each. Best tinkering/gunsmithing I've ever done. It's all about the trigger

·
Registered
25 Posts
I love to " tinker " with my Rugers ( Standard, MKII, MKIII, MKIV ), and always looking for improved performance ( if that is possible ). As posted above it's the idea of upgrading an already excellent gun. But I have had an issue with the Volquartsen target hammer; the strut is wider and more blunt than the stock Ruger hammer, and on two occasions I have had the strut actually come off the mainspring cup; I was shooting along and the gun was running just fine, and then it just quit ( like the trigger was not connected to anything.) Upon disassembling the gun, I found nothin wrong except the hammer strut had simply come off of the main spring cup.
Yeah im in the same camp,i have ordered Volquartsen internals before i got the pistol to put them in,great stuff,needed,maybe,maybe not

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I picked up my new to me Ruger Mark II 22/45 yesterday from my FFL dealer.
Will take it apart and check it over today.
Perhaps tomorrow will get to the range and do some shooting.
Again, thanks everyone for your thoughts on aftermarket parts.
This will be fun.

·
Captain General
34 Posts
Ruger MK pistols are improved by the addition of an aftermarket trigger with takeup and overtravel adjustment. I changed to a VQ trigger and I like it, much better than OE.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
The difference is a good 2# trigger pull instead of the factory 6 or 7# pull. It'll go bang either way.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Alot depends on plans for it,if its gonna sit in the box 95% of the time,of course not,but if you shoot alot,and want to ring the best out of a pistol,its worth it,pretty simple to install,lots on videos

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
Somewhat along the lines of this subject matter, what should I expect for pressure (pounds) required with a Volquartsen trigger kit? My wife loves a light trigger.....spoiled by many years of centerfire rifle shooting! I’ve got 3 Mark’s to work on! memtb

·
Registered
762 Posts
1.5 to 2.5 pounds is what you should expect. Mine have averaged 2.2 pounds, but other people have reported to achieve below 2.0.

Reactions: memtb

·
Registered
122 Posts
1.5 to 2.5 pounds is what you should expect. Mine have averaged 2.2 pounds, but other people have reported to achieve below 2.0.
Thank You! 2 to 2.5 would be great, smooth is a huge plus! memtb

1 - 20 of 25 Posts