Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To you smart guys with experience, where to mount it? Rifle came with a modified Pic rail that goes over the ejection port. Mount RDS there? any issues with removing bolt when cleaning? or add a pic rail foward above the hand guard? Recommendations??

·
"The Real Deal"
8,044 Posts
To you smart guys with experience, where to mount it? Rifle came with a modified Pic rail that goes over the ejection port. Mount RDS there? any issues with removing bolt when cleaning? or add a pic rail foward above the hand guard? Recommendations??
Never mounted a spitfire to a mini, but have used a fastfire 2, scopes, and strikefire red dot. I used the gg&g 1913 rail on my mini ranch to allow attachment. It has a relief cut in that rail to allow the brass to eject properly. It can be testing to remove the bolt for cleaning, more so with a red dot in that location versus a scope, still a bit tough but possible. You can also go the scout location for mounting a red dot, if that makes anything easier. The go to rails I would recommend for that would be either of these. They allow unobstructed access to the bolt for removal.

I perfer the amega.
Amega Mounts Home page

Mini-14, Mini-30 Optic Mounts, Scope Mount, Mini-14 / 30 Stock Set, Optics

Here is my setup using the mount, and low or medium 30mm ring with a strikefire on my mini.

Ruger Mini 14 Accessories | Ruger Mini 14 Scope Mounts for Ranch Rifles

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Here is a photo of my Bushnell TRS-25 on my ruger mini-30 using the Ruger factory rail scope mount that came with the rifle. I have no problems of the ejected cases hitting the rail or Bushnell and does not interfere with rifle takedown.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Since red dots don't have a set eye relief, I prefer mounting them out on an Ultimak (or Amega rail like Tacky mentioned). You will never have to worry about brass hitting, removing your bolt, interfering with your rear iron sight, or being in the way of carrying your Mini, hand around the action. Those aluminum railed hand guards also help stiffen the barrel and diffuse barrel heat, just like a strut does. Having nothing over the action is the better way to do things!

Why the SpitFire ? For what you will pay for the Spitfire, you could get a Burris Fastfire like the one pictured on my Mini-30. The Spitfire is 4 times as big, over 15 times heavier than the Burris FF III. And the Spitfire is designed for an AR, so it will sit up way, way high on a Mini, especially mounted on an over-the-action rail. And battery life on the Burris is 3 times longer than the Vortex.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
No co-witness. I don't think anything out there would. The Mini's irons sit so low you have to scrunch your head down into the stock to see through them. Mine could be lower with the standard Picatinny mount instead of the protector wing mount like I use, but I like having the "wings" around the optic.
Even though co*witness would be nice to check iron's zero against the dot, I find seeing the irons through the dot's screen is a bit distracting. It is easy enough to take off the red dot quick if you ever needed to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts