Ruger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I was wondering if someone could help me out. I have been getting into Firearms for the past 3 years and I recent purchased a Ruger American Predator in .308 to have a hunting rifle. I ordered a Vortex Crossfire II Rifle Scope 2-7 x 32 but I have 0 clue on what rings and mount to order. I don't know really anything abut scopes so I joined this Forum. I love my 10/22 but I'm not putting a scope on it. Any suggestions? I'm an amateur at the moment. hopefully this is the right way to ask questions, I've never used a forum before.

·
Registered
740 Posts
the rings are 1" size. vortex makes a model called the "hunter" scope rings. good rings and about $20 a set. but you shouldn't have picked up a rimfire scope for a centerfire rifle. and 2-7x seems a bit low for 308. trade up to the 3-9x40 crossfire 2. or keep the 2-7 and throw it on your 10/22, you'll like it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Which one did you buy:

Product Font Auto part Event Tool

The Predators I purchased came with the
Font Bicycle part Audio equipment Auto part Pipe

Good scope and worth the extra $40.

Edit: I was NOT paying attention when I posted this, the HEIGHT of these rings look similar to mine. But these rings are NOT for a Predator. I do not see rings in the Ruger store that would work with the Predator. And as noted below, there are cheaper options elsewhere.
Automotive lighting Automotive design Font Automotive exterior Auto part

·
Registered
723 Posts
For a new scope buyer it is a great idea to find articles and videos giving advice and read/watch lots of them for perspective.
For example, a 2-7x is great for an eastern woods deer rifle but not as good as higher magnification for smaller targets or longer ranges. I put a 2-8x on my Texas feral hog rifle, it's perfect for that. In the woods I turn it down to 2, then higher for longer shots in the open.

Generally, the larger lens (40mm, 50mm+) lets more light in and brightens the picture you see. 32mm is about the smallest they make.
Vortex makes great scopes for not a lot of money. I own three but bought the Viper series for better performance.

Since you are new to this, I would recommend taking your rifle and scope into a store and asking them for rings. I have a Sportsman's Warehouse near me and when I bought the rings they showed me how to mount the scope myself for free, otherwise they would mount the scope for a small fee.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For a new scope buyer it is a great idea to find articles and videos giving advice and read/watch lots of them for perspective.
For example, a 2-7x is great for an eastern woods deer rifle but not as good as higher magnification for smaller targets or longer ranges. I put a 2-8x on my Texas feral hog rifle, it's perfect for that. In the woods I turn it down to 2, then higher for longer shots in the open.

Generally, the larger lens (40mm, 50mm+) lets more light in and brightens the picture you see. 32mm is about the smallest they make.
Vortex makes great scopes for not a lot of money. I own three but bought the Viper series for better performance.

Since you are new to this, I would recommend taking your rifle and scope into a store and asking them for rings. I have a Sportsman's Warehouse near me and when I bought the rings they showed me how to mount the scope myself for free, otherwise they would mount the scope for a small fee.
Awesome advice, Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the rings are 1" size. vortex makes a model called the "hunter" scope rings. good rings and about $20 a set. but you shouldn't have picked up a rimfire scope for a centerfire rifle. and 2-7x seems a bit low for 308. trade up to the 3-9x40 crossfire 2. or keep the 2-7 and throw it on your 10/22, you'll like it.
Thank you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.