Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased my wife a RAR .270

I'm looking to put either a

Diamondback 3x9x40 v-plex @ $189

Or

Diamondback HP 4x16x42 v-plex @ $249..99

Anyone have experience with one over the other? We do mostly mule deer in southern idaho at 50-300 yards maybe the occasional 450 yard shot

I also need rings to mount the scope. Last time we put Warne mediums on a RAR .308 with a 4x12 vortex crossfire 2

Would I be able to clear the 3x9 or 4x16 with a "low" ring set up? I keep hearing about Burris Zee rings... Should I get those or the Warne's again?

Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Sounds like the 3-9X40 should be plenty for your yardage, don't see the need for the 4-16X unless you just really want the extra magnification.. Really don't think you're going to need it..

I have the Crossfire ll 2-7x32 on my RAR Ranch and love it! It's good out to 300yds I have yet to try any further.. Vortex is underrated I love them!

·
Registered
673 Posts
Sounds like the 3-9X40 should be plenty for your yardage, don't see the need for the 4-16X unless you just really want the extra magnification.. Really don't think you're going to need it..

I have the Crossfire ll 2-7x32 on my RAR Ranch and love it! It's good out to 300yds I have yet to try any further.. Vortex is underrated I love them!

I hate to disagree but I find 4X is never too much and 16X is quite useful at ranges beyond 200 yards or so. In fact, my favorite variable is the 6-18X40mm Nikon Buckmaster on my Ruger M 77 Hawkeye (204 Ruger). In my one long range experience with the new rifle, two weeks ago, it gave me one shot per hit on the ends of tomato cans at 300 yards. As I often say, if you can't see it, you can't hit it. If the extra cash is not a problem, I say buy the higher magnification scope. If cash is a problem, then 3-9X will do just fine.

I have used Ruger rings, Burris Zee rings, BKL rings, Warne rings and many others. Each seems different but only Weaver rings are annoying, as the scope rotates in them while tightening because you tighten only one side. All the others seem to work about the same. All rings can be improved by being lapped. Lapping rings also takes stress off the scope. I would say high rings or medium rings will be needed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts