Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a GP100 3" 38 Spl. early this year. Got bored with 38 Spl only chambering so I called David Clements to see if he would rechamber to 357 and tune the action.

This was late September 2015 so I called Clements and he said to send the gun in and he would do the work. He also stated that he had the month of October scheduled for GP100s. Shipped gun last day of September and talked with Clements by phone a few days later and he said he had received the GP.

Winter's coming and the rain and cold have driven me inside to wait out the Idaho fall and winter. Now I'm waiting for my tuned 357 to return to me from Virginia.

I hate waiting.......reminds me of being in the military, when all things worth wanting were projected off into the unknown future!

Sorry for the rant just had to let off some steam!

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Hope your GP100 gets back is your GP100 a Mod. 1751?? If so very nice gun. I have a Ruger SP101 3 inch barrel in .38 Special, now wondering if my gun could also be re chambered to .357 as well?? Good luck & I hope that you soon get your Ruger back!!!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks gcucool! I know that Clements is a small shop and every phone call takes him away from the task at hand. December is going to be a long time and coming and going, but I will call January 2, 2016 if it's not back by then!

Can't remember the Model #of my GP but it's the Lipsey's exclusive, just before they brought out the 3" adjustable sighted 357. I'll wait and pay the impatience tax for not waiting for the #1708 to come out. Remember the 1708 was never to be produced again!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Send him an email so he can answer on his own time. If he doesn't reply in a week (it is holiday week after all), follow up with a phone call.

It sounds like he implied it would be done in October and we're almost a month past that now, so it is not unreasonable in my mind to touch base and see where you are in line. "Stuff happens" so I wouldn't get nasty yet but two contacts in 6 weeks is not being a pest at all.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys I'll give him an email. And wait a week for an answer, holidays and scheduling gets crazy.

gcucool: Ruger says that the steel in the SP and GPs are the same; that they do not switch steels when switching from 38 to 357.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I have a Ruger SP101 3 inch barrel in .38 Special, now wondering if my gun could also be re chambered to .357 as well??
That's funny. I have two 3" GP100s, one in 38 and one in .357. I like both but the GP100 is almost "too much" for the .38 and I've thought several times that a 3" SP101 would probably be the perfect platform for .38. Aren't too many floating around.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Personally your Ruger GP100 Model 1751 yes it's a Lipsey's exclusive to me this is one of the nicest GP100's that Ruger has turned out in a long time. Either one of the 1751's or a GP100 WC would be my choice if I was looking to buy a Ruger GP100. I have a 3 inch barreled SP 101 in .38 Special & yes it is a perfect platform for .38 Special mine is very accurate!!!

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
A 10mm Clement's GP100 is one of my "dream guns", I am prepared to wait when I finally get a 6" GP100 "project" gun, and send it in.

I know the pain of waiting..........I have a .45 ACP Vaquero Birdshead at Mahovsky's for Metalife hard chroming, and I called last month and he said "should be done this week".........a month later, they haven't even charged my card yet, just want my gun finished and back at this point. Luckily it's the winter and shooting season kind of slows down, but would still like it back.

Also ordered Kirinite grips for that gun from Eagle, they've been "10-15 days until shipping" for over a month. I wish these companies would just tell you "yeah it's gonna be a few months"........

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
A 10mm Clement's GP100 is one of my "dream guns", I am prepared to wait when I finally get a 6" GP100 "project" gun, and send it in.

I know the pain of waiting..........I have a .45 ACP Vaquero Birdshead at Mahovsky's for Metalife hard chroming, and I called last month and he said "should be done this week".........a month later, they haven't even charged my card yet, just want my gun finished and back at this point. Luckily it's the winter and shooting season kind of slows down, but would still like it back.

Also ordered Kirinite grips for that gun from Eagle, they've been "10-15 days until shipping" for over a month. I wish these companies would just tell you "yeah it's gonna be a few months"........
Tell me about it. I usually do my own file work on AKs. I decided to let a smith open up the magazine well on a build. He was also going to press the rivet in the mag catch. I was quoted 2-4 weeks. I am now at 4 months. I'm frustrated because I normally do this stuff myself. I thought I'd spoil myself. Now I'm regretting it. I just wanted a reasonable quote and I want to shoot the rifle!

I know, not quite the same process, but a similar frustration. Let's see what the price tag is as well... I was quoted less than $100.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I emailed Clements and I now am waiting a reply. Nothing satisfies until the weapon is returned and modified to spec.

We wait! This is the first gun I have ever sent off for custom work. Past 50 years I've shot them.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I emailed Clements and I now am waiting a reply. Nothing satisfies until the weapon is returned and modified to spec.

We wait! This is the first gun I have ever sent off for custom work. Past 50 years I've shot them.
You're a great customer for being patient. Seems most ppl nowadays would just start badmouthing without even doing their part to make contact

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Just received an email from Mr. Clements, he begins work on GPs next week! Thanked him for his reply and that I was quietly waiting for a slicked up GP 357 3" with adjustable sights.

If I would have waited and purchased a 1708 I would have sent it to him for an action job anyway!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts