Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
"The Real Deal"
10,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still trying to wrap my brain around this. Four days In a public restroom in a mall and nobody notices?

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I'm still trying to wrap my brain around this. Four days In a public restroom in a mall and nobody notices?

That stinks!
(Sorry, that was way too obvious and soon) yes I find folks can no longer afford to pay attention, to anything. Except the phone. Especially in the john.

·
"The Real Deal"
10,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That stinks!
(Sorry, that was way too obvious and soon) yes I find folks can no longer afford to pay attention, to anything. Except the phone. Especially in the john.
I have more pressing problems when I'm in the head, no time for a phone. 😁

·
"The Real Deal"
10,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So being a career firefighter for ages, we are sometimes called to assist removal of deceased individuals, sometimes a day or 2, sometimes a week or 2. After 4 days somebody, or everybody should have noticed, trust me.

·
Registered
864 Posts
So being a career firefighter for ages, we are sometimes called to assist removal of deceased individuals, sometimes a day or 2, sometimes a week or 2. After 4 days somebody, or everybody should have noticed, trust me.
My wife was a Field Deputy Medical Investigator for the state ME's office for 20 years. She got to deal with lots of decomps and any other fun scenes...

·
"The Real Deal"
10,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My wife was a Field Deputy Medical Investigator for the state ME's office for 20 years. She got to deal with lots of decomps and any other fun scenes...
It's a rough job. Tyvek suits, taped ankles, and wrists, and at times a SCBA to be able to do it. Other times a n95 or respirator with vicks vaporub on your top lip. That's why EMS calls the FD, for breathing apparatus and manpower sometimes.

I dont care how hard you are, you never get used to it.
The stories I could tell, but i will spare you guys that grotesque job.

·
Registered
129 Posts
When did "Wait... What?" become a thing?

Is this the new paradigm? The new normal? The next big thing?

My head explodes. I LITERALLY can't wrap my arms around it.

The whole thing stings to high heaven, that's for sure!

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
It's a rough job. Tyvek suits, taped ankles, and wrists, and at times a SCBA to be able to do it. Other times a n95 or respirator with vicks vaporub on your top lip. That's why EMS calls the FD, for breathing apparatus and manpower sometimes.

I dont care how hard you are, you never get used to it.
The stories I could tell, but i will spare you guys that grotesque job.
I caught an overtime shift one evening and fortunately ended up driving the engine. Went on a 'sick person' call and we were there long before the 'bus' so the Lt and jumpseat guy headed in, moments later the jumpseat guy was back to grab his SCBA, Lt had a really bad cold and apparently no sense of smell. 'Sick person' had not spoken, been up out of bed or eaten for at least 4 days, wife seemed surprised that she had been sleeping with a corpse that long.
We only carried stokes baskets on the trucks (where in my early days I was often assigned - alone, a late arriving Engine or Rescue would be detailed to help me when we actually had a fire). I came in one day and was sent to a local funeral home to get the stokes back after it had been used to recover someone from the river. No idea how long they had been in the river but it wasn't much fun washing the 'leftovers' out of the wire mesh of the basket!
Just another day at the office.

Bruce

·
"The Real Deal"
10,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I caught an overtime shift one evening and fortunately ended up driving the engine. Went on a 'sick person' call and we were there long before the 'bus' so the Lt and jumpseat guy headed in, moments later the jumpseat guy was back to grab his SCBA, Lt had a really bad cold and apparently no sense of smell. 'Sick person' had not spoken, been up out of bed or eaten for at least 4 days, wife seemed surprised that she had been sleeping with a corpse that long.
We only carried stokes baskets on the trucks (where in my early days I was often assigned - alone, a late arriving Engine or Rescue would be detailed to help me when we actually had a fire). I came in one day and was sent to a local funeral home to get the stokes back after it had been used to recover someone from the river. No idea how long they had been in the river but it wasn't much fun washing the 'leftovers' out of the wire mesh of the basket!
Just another day at the office.

Bruce
Its never easy.

Worst I've seen is about 15-16 days, that was the worst.

When people say firefighters and medics dont need a raise, I think they should accompany us to deal with that. They would change their mind quickly.

Reactions: FireEscape

·
"The Real Deal"
10,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A friend was a sheriff deputy on the boat patrol. He said it gets nasty when they have been in the water a while.
We run boats 2, I can attest to his statement.

Reactions: JTJ

·
Registered
864 Posts
I didn't mention my wife is also part of a federal disaster team under NDMS, DMORT (Disaster Mortuary Operational Response Team). She did three deployments to Katrina and one to Rita during the same time frame in south Louisiana. They recovered and identified about 1500 bodies during her time there. Many had been in water for days, sometimes weeks. None of it seemed to bother her. Also Ivan, the Joplin Tornado, etc.
She worked closely with local fire/rescue here at home. We have a well known high bridge that has become a suicide destination so she worked lots of recoveries at that scene as well. 650 feet from the bridge to a narrow river below. Generally quite a mess. She used to enjoy tormenting the young FD and LEO officers who all were tossing their cookies.
Plant Water Tree Natural landscape Landscape

1 - 20 of 20 Posts