Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so i'm a little unclear about waiting periods around the country. we have a three day waiting period here in nevada, and once you've cleared that you get your purchase and a little blue card, and the next time you buy they just call the state capitol and do the same quick little check they do on long guns. do other states have 3-day waiting periods (or longer) that you have to deal with every single time?

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
In Florida if you don't have a cary permit you have to wait three business days for a hand gun. No matter what kind of weapon you buy they still have to call in for clearence with the government.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
ok, so i'm a little unclear about waiting periods around the country.
'Spose you guys are just lucky you don't live in AU.
We have to apply for a permit to acquire (PTA) from our state firearms registry.
It arrives from a week to up to six weeks, depending on what you are buying and what you have bought previously.
Then, you take that PTA to the LGS to purchase your gun.
Some states here are longer than that..... :eek:

·
Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
In AZ the waiting period is about 10 minutes. Less if the store isn't busy and you know all the questions on the FFL transfer. :D

That's the way I like it.

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
Mi

With CC Permit-no wait, send in purchase paper within 10 days.

No CC Permit- go to sheriff's office pay $10, take a little quiz, swear you're telling the truth, take purchase permit, drive as fast as you can to LGS, fill out paper work there, drive home as fast as you can to shoot new gun! Send in purchase paper within 10 days.

(I do believe we are getting a new law or just got a new law where you don't need to get a purchase permit anymore.)

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
I'm your neighbor in California. I think you have it good in Nevada.

Here we must pay a fee, take a test, and then are issued a card that allows us to buy handguns. We are then allowed to purchase only one handgun per 30 day period (except for private party transfers, which are not counted toward the limit).

There is an approved list of handguns we can buy. Lots of cool firearms are NOT on the list. Not allowed for sale here.

Purchasing a handgun, rifle, or shotgun is always a lot of paperwork and there is a 10 day waiting period for all of them, every time we buy one.

·
Banned
89 Posts
here in NC it is different in every county. my county takes character reference.takes ten business days then you can call sheriff dept to see if permit approved then you can get up to 5 purchase permits at 5$ a pop. once you get cc you can buy as many pistols as you want anywhere in the NC that sells guns

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
In AZ the waiting period is about 10 minutes. Less if the store isn't busy and you know all the questions on the FFL transfer. :D

That's the way I like it.
About the same here in good ole West Virginia. Buy as many as you want or can afford and carry them out the door.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
no waiting period in PA, walk in, fill out paperwork and pass the PIC's(instant background check) and you walk out with the gun in hand. No limit........
That's the way it was here in the past for rifles & shotguns take it the day you bought it always been waiting period for handguns since I've been old enough to buy one anyway

·
Registered
129 Posts
waiting period

My son lives in Nevada and there is NO waiting period in Reno where he lives . This three day wait you speak of must be in Vegas and I believe it is a city thing.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My son lives in Nevada and there is NO waiting period in Reno where he lives . This three day wait you speak of must be in Vegas and I believe it is a city thing.
no waiting period for first purchase? or any subsequent purchase? i had the three day for first handgun, but if i went in tonight there wouldn't be one.

·
Registered
129 Posts
argonaut, are you in Vegas, cuz the only wait my son ever had was the wait for the background check. That includes his first purchase as well. Handguns and long guns.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
The length of time it takes me to fill out the 4473, plus 5 minutes to make the call.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts