Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have wanted a PPK since I was about 8 years old and saw Doctor No.
Bond, James Bond had to give up his beloved Beretta model 418 for the more powerful Walther PPK. Okay stop laughing,:D. The Beretta was chambered in .25 acp and the Walther in .32 acp. But as a kid I had no idea what was what and the PPK was a sexy looking pistol.
So fast forward 53 years and I am looking over pistols in the LGS. While handling a new S&W Victory 22 thinking I need to take it home, from the corner of my eye I saw a shiny object. Not exactly a copy of Mr. Bond's gun put close enough for me. A PPK/S in .380acp. It is an Interarms model with the box and all original paperwork including the test target dated 10/15/1992. It is in great shape with a few very minor surface scratches and a crack in the right grip panel. But I already have replacement grips ordered from Numrich. The price was very good, but a bit more than the Victory. I knew that I would be able to find another Smith later. This little gem would be gone if I didn't buy it now.
But here is the good part. I had a $200 visa gift card from my credit union for bonus earned last year. So I took this baby home for $313 of my actual cash.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Nice pickup of a classic. Love the SS. I was also checking out the new SW Victory, they are sharp looking (but you definitely made the right choice).
Good luck with it.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, The Smith felt really good. And in my opinion better balance and grip feel than Ruger MK pistols I have handled. But I couldn't let this one get away.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Is it really like a brick through a plate glass window? (When compared to the Beretta .25ACP that jammed on him on that last job?)

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Got a P99C on layaway now. Very good reviews on this gun. Hoping to get it soon and make it my EDC along with my LCP custom.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Congrats, nice looking pistol.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Congrats!

I have owned one since the late 80's and really like this gun. I shoot it a lot, and have never had a problem. This gun is so well made, many of the new ones feel "cheap" compared to this :>)

Ron

A photo of my, well used, ppk/s

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,680 Posts
I might as well join the group. Here's my 380 Auto PPK/S ... made In 1984 by Ranger Manufacturing of Gadsden, Alabama and was licensed by Carl Walther to Interarms of Alexandria, Virginia

Just a side note .... if you are the type of person that likes to smack the base of the magazine to seat it .... likely you will end up ruining your PPK/S magazines. Turns out ... the slot for the magazine latch is located near the top of the magazine and is quite thin. It doesn't take much to break the thin section ... making the magazine fall out. After ruining one myself, I bought two spares and left the plastic "pinky finger" rest off.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I am emotionally attached to my daily carry walther p99 2nd gen qa in .40. I love that gun. I also had a smith ppk 380 that i shortened the beavertail to look like the original and regret the day i sold it. I also had a p22 i miss and loved but sold it for a mkiii competition. Walther is one of my favorite brands

·
Registered
971 Posts
I have the very same gun, stainless .380 PPK/S and it has become my daily carry while at work. A Stoner paddle holster makes it very convenient, although I have to admit the extended magazine with finger rest is much more comfortable and secure.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A round of thanks for stopping by and sharing your Walther gems gentlemen.
And a big thank you for Iowegan sharing a great tip on the magazines. I did find that they required a good firm push to seat today.
I got to the range and killed some paper. Nothing spectacular to show off. I shot a single target at 3.5, 4.5 and 5 yards. Only 50 rounds to test the gun for function and see how the trigger felt. Overall I had a good 30 minute session.
My first shot went low left with the double action trigger pull. All of the wide and low shots were double action. I have to work on it, but I got better with each magazine. The single action was excellent. I did limp wrist one round and had a fail to feed on the first magazine. I am going to enjoy learning to shoot this little gem.
The target shows all 50 rounds but I put a couple of stickers on after the first 4 magazines. So I took a shot of the back to show where all of the rounds went.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Here's a pair of Walthers. Don't have pics of my other two at the moment. If I'm digging around the safe this weekend and think of it, I'll snap another pic or two.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I'm a revolver guy but when it comes to pistols Walther's are the only ones I can actually shoot well. I own a half-Walther 9mm pistol called the MR-9 Eagle. It's a recent collaboration by both Walther and Magnum Research. Walther makes the frame and mags in Germany, based on an updated P99 model. When I replaced the grip there was even the Walther logo stamped underneath. Magnum Research makes the slide and barrel here in the USA. Got it for a great price and it's been a really accurate shooter. Walther makes good guns.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Try a P-38.

Found one last weekend, and it is a real X ring puncher. Typical German mfg excellence. Alloy frame (1957), but heavy enough to wish they had more than 8+1 mags for extended range time.

Interesting story of their design, mfg, engineering.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I'm a revolver guy but when it comes to pistols Walther's are the only ones I can actually shoot well. I own a half-Walther 9mm pistol called the MR-9 Eagle. It's a recent collaboration by both Walther and Magnum Research. Walther makes the frame and mags in Germany, based on an updated P99 model. When I replaced the grip there was even the Walther logo stamped underneath. Magnum Research makes the slide and barrel here in the USA. Got it for a great price and it's been a really accurate shooter. Walther makes good guns.

Definitely a nice pistol. I held the exact gun at my LGS. I'm a revolver guy too, but decided to get a P99C for my EDC. Love the decocker option. Makes it very similar to my revolvers.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for dropping by gentlemen,
Sarge that is an impressive collection. I hope to find an older blued model someday.
My wife is interested in a carry gun and I have heard the PK380 is easy to rack the slide.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts