Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anybody out there have experience with the PPQ45?

I am debating between this and the Ruger SR45 which is quite a bit cheaper ([email protected]). I sold my XDS 45 so will have about $475 to burn on new 45acp. All opinions appreciated

I live waaaay out in West Texas so renting these guns and deciding is not an option for me
the nearest range with gun rentals is 150 miles one way

·
Registered
153 Posts
The PPQ45 is a very fine pistol. Lots of people rave about it on the Walther Forums. I don't own one chambered in 45, but I've shot one and it retains basically all the best characteristics of a PPQ M2... but in 45!

The majority of users report them being rock solid over many, MANY rounds.

Probably the biggest considerations about the PPQ45

1. Very light trigger (5.6lbs or less on some models)

2. No manual safety controls

My advice is if you're even *slightly* leaning towards the Walther - grab it! Of course keep in mind you'll probably pay an extra 10-20% on magazines VS the Ruger as well. 40-50+ bucks is common on the PPQ magazines.

The only reasons I would choose the Ruger over the Walther is if I really wanted a slide mounted manual safety or was really partial to the cosmetics of the SR45.

Of course that Walther is probably going to run pretty close to your budget. Cheapest I see on gun deals https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/2807076 is around 430 dollars. Depending on how much your FFL charges for transfer you'd be just about topped out.... whereas with the Ruger you'd have enough for a few boxes of ammo and a number of extra magazines... perhaps a consideration.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The PPQ45 is a very fine pistol. Lots of people rave about it on the Walther Forums. I don't own one chambered in 45, but I've shot one and it retains basically all the best characteristics of a PPQ M2... but in 45!

The majority of users report them being rock solid over many, MANY rounds.

Probably the biggest considerations about the PPQ45

1. Very light trigger (5.6lbs or less on some models)

2. No manual safety controls

My advice is if you're even *slightly* leaning towards the Walther - grab it! Of course keep in mind you'll probably pay an extra 10-20% on magazines VS the Ruger as well. 40-50+ bucks is common on the PPQ magazines.

The only reasons I would choose the Ruger over the Walther is if I really wanted a slide mounted manual safety or was really partial to the cosmetics of the SR45.

Of course that Walther is probably going to run pretty close to your budget. Cheapest I see on gun deals https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/2807076 is around 430 dollars. Depending on how much your FFL charges for transfer you'd be just about topped out.... whereas with the Ruger you'd have enough for a few boxes of ammo and a number of extra magazines... perhaps a consideration.
Excellent feed back thanks for the info dude!

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,788 Posts
While price is an object always, I only buy one gun, at most, a year. So I never let that sway me, within reason.

If you are set on a modern semi, I'd recommend the PPQ for its trigger. The PPQ's trigger is so spooky light it might be too light for some shooters. I did really well with it.

That said, my favorite is the full sized S&W M&P 2.0 .45, for two reasons. First I like a safety on my guns; it's an old 1911 habit. Second, I like steel. I did not confirm this at the time, but the PPQ has a plastic guide rod (or so the gun-counter commando told me). The S&W has a steel chassis, too. Not sure about the SR or the PPQ in that department. That steel chassis makes me lean to the Smith.

I shot these two against each other when a friend was looking at modern semis and we rented the lot in 9 and 45. We did not rent an SR45, but we did also shoot a RAP, which came in beneath the Walther or S&W for me. My friend put it ahead of the S&W, because she disliked the gun's grip texture I so liked.

Moot point, in the end. She decided on a revolver and I'm sticking with my 1911.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I did not confirm this at the time, but the PPQ has a plastic guide rod (or so the gun-counter commando told me).
The PPQ does indeed use a plastic guide rod (although there are a few companies offering steel or tungsten guide rod replacements).

My SW99 45 (which is based off of the P99 9mm, which is basically a PPQ with a DA/SA trigger system) has a plastic guide rod and the original is still functional almost 20 years later. The plastic rod has developed a rather large 'hump' or bend in it and looks quite misshapen, however.

I did decide to grab a couple extras 'just in case' even though the humped one functions perfectly.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hey BB,
Which 45 did you get?
I ain't bought nuthin yet, think I am leaning towards the SR45 think it will be a good gun for $300 and I am wanting a manual safety so I can bounce around the ranch in the jeep with gun on my hip

Mm I sure like my 40 shield maybe I should look at the Shield 45?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I ain't bought nuthin yet, think I am leaning towards the SR45 think it will be a good gun for $300 and I am wanting a manual safety so I can bounce around the ranch in the jeep with gun on my hip

Can't go wrong with either the SR or Shield.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shield 45, Ruger SR45, Walther PPQ ........these are ones I have narrowed down too LOL !

The big advantage of the shield is it is CC sized weapon

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had a SR45 that was a jamomatic with Federal Hi-Shok Hydra-shok, Hornady HAP, and Wilson Combat signature match. Sent back to ruger and when I ran it again it was only slightly improved. My last range trip with it I was so frustrated with it I used it for a trade in on a Walther PPQ 45. The Walther shoots everything without issue. Never a regret and it is now my nightstand gun. The good with the SR45 was it was accurate, a soft shooter, and ran ball ammo with no problem. For personal defense, you’re going to have to find a defensive round that can work with the SR45, it is picky.
The Walther had plastic sights and guide rod, both easily replaced. It too is accurate and a soft shooter.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts

You may have just answered your question. You already know you like the shield setup. If you want more rounds, you could also go with a standard M&P 45. Also, right now there is a $50 rebates on all shields (I think until Dec 15).

I also think there is an advantage to having guns that operate similarly. Of course you can also say variety is the spice of life.

·
Registered
153 Posts
My personal opinion is that the shield 45 isn't really going to do anything your shield .40 doesn't already do, but will have less capacity.

Unless you're truly dissatisfied with the .40 cal chambering in your shield I think you'll get better utility out of adding a M&P2.0 .45 or the SR45 or the PPQ45 to your stable of guns.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My personal opinion is that the shield 45 isn't really going to do anything your shield .40 doesn't already do, but will have less capacity.

Unless you're truly dissatisfied with the .40 cal chambering in your shield I think you'll get better utility out of adding a M&P2.0 .45 or the SR45 or the PPQ45 to your stable of guns.
make slot of sense thanks bro!

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
I have the walther in 9 and an sr 45 I like the feel of the st though that is subjective. 175 buys a lot of aammo.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Anybody out there have experience with the PPQ45?

I am debating between this and the Ruger SR45 which is quite a bit cheaper ([email protected]). I sold my XDS 45 so will have about $475 to burn on new 45acp. All opinions appreciated

I live waaaay out in West Texas so renting these guns and deciding is not an option for me
the nearest range with gun rentals is 150 miles one way
The Ruger SR45 is now discontinued. I own an SR45 and it is by far the most comfortable double stack 45 I have ever held. I also bought some of the performance accessories from Galloway Precision like a Ghost Connector, SS guide rod, SS striker indicator. I also polished up the internals and the trigger is really smooth. I removed the stupid magazine disconnect.

You don't need a manual safety on a pistol with a Glock style trigger.

The RAP in 45 is quite a bit more expensive than the SR45 so if budget is a concern, then get the SR45. Maker sure to get some extra mags.

The PPQ 45 is going to be more expensive than the RAP or SR45, and Walther is proud of their magazines.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts