Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody tried out the new Walther sp22? I held one at the gunshop yesterday and almost brought it home.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,481 Posts
If you mean the Walther P-22, yes I have one. More correctly, my wife has one. These are very well made little guns that do exactly what they were designed for. At 15 yards or closer, my wife can empty the 10 round magazine in a about 5 seconds and keep all the hits contained in a fist sized group. At 25 yards, the groups spread considerably but this is not a target gun nor was it intended for shooting farther than 15 yards. This is her "house gun" and occasional carry gun.

The only issue with these full feature 22s is the lips of the magazines. Both of my factory supplied magazines and a extra one that I bought had distorted lips that make the nose of the bullet rise too high and jam when feeding. A little work with a pliers and they feed like a champ. I can't recall having a single malfunction since the magazines were tweaked.

I hung a cheap laser on the accessory rail (the Walther laser looks much nicer). My wife enjoys shooting cans from the hip with the laser. She seldom misses. Of course the 22 LR is not a big powerful cartridge but if someone pumped 10 rounds in you at close range, it might just end an attack.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These are the Walther SP-22's. I handled the larger one on the top at my local GS. I like the way it feels, just don't know anything about them

·
16,481 Posts
velvalco, Very interesting! Sorry, I obviously didn't know the SP-22 existed. Looks very modernistic if nothing else. Walther has an excellent reputation so it might be worth taking a chance on one.

When the Berretta Neos space gun came out, I thought I should have one. I was sadly disappointed with both function and accuracy. Lets hope the new Walther is a better pistol.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i agree with ya, i was very disappointed with the berretta as well.

think i'll wait and see if i can find some reviews.

·
16,481 Posts
velvalco, I went to a gun show in Council Bluffs, IA today and got to fondle a couple SP-22s. For sure it is a unique looking gun with some strange ergonomics. Don't think I'll be buying one any time soon.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I picked up a S&W 22A at a gunshow two weeks ago for $190 out the door. Not a bad shooter....but it has a few parts that I don't think are made to last...good enough for the money though.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have a P22 and have two diametric opinions on the pistol: it is a fun little handgun AND a poor example of the much-vaunted German engineering, design and manufacturing mystique. I've done gun show "examinations" of the SP22 and think it is an improvement on the P22. At the right (low) price, it may be worth trying out. The SP22 seems to try to be a bit more of an attempt to be a "target" pistol. I will keep fighting and enjoying my P22, but I'm not too sure if I will soon be in the market for an SP22.

CHIEF: the P22 has the 22A beat in the small and cute categories. The 22A is well ahead in the quality, reliability and accuracy categories.

·
Registered
1 Posts
SP22 & Walther laser

The modular design of the pistol is what drew me to buy it. It shoots 'soda can bottom' sized groups at 25 yds for me with iron sights.

The initial question of this thread was in regard to the Walther SP22 laser. The Laser's dot is very small (precision pinpoint) and wasn't bright enough for my eyes to see until I got within 15 yds or so.

I bought the 4" picatinny rail set thinking that it was needed to mount the laser. Actually it was not needed as the laser came with its own rail mount.

There is a design flaw with the laser.:( I just emailed this concern to Walther customer service today, and am waiting a reply. For your info, here is the email.

[Gentlefolk –
I shopped for lasers to add to my new SP22. There were various priced units from $60 up. I purchased the Walther brand for its blended look even though it was much more expensive.
Here is the problem - after every few shots, the battery cover flies off and the batteries fall out (from recoil?). The cover is not damaged in any way. The retaining prongs are in perfect new condition. I double check that I have installed it correctly each time.
Nothing says ‘High Quality Item’ like a duct taped cover on the firing line. Please advise if you have a fix for this malady.
Thanks - Mike]

I'll post Walther's reply when I receive it. For now, it seems best to pass on the Walther brand laser.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I almost bought one of the Berettas a while back and settled on the S&W 22A. I probably have about 3000rds through it now. Can't beat how easy it is to take down, clean and reassemble. Lifetime warranty as well. That being said, once I get my .357 Blackhawk I want to get a MKII. The only thing that's held me back is disassembly and reassembly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts