Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I would like to replace the factory front sights on my brand new 4" GP100 with
something brighter that stands out better.....

Any suggestions??

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
At one time Millett made blaze orange and white front sights for the GP/Redhawk. Perhaps you can find them with time on Ebay or elsewhere. XS makes sights for the GP in tritium with either a Big or Standard Dot that really stand out.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I had a Meprolight front night sight on my 4" GP100 but wound up selling it. In low/no light it worked fine but at my dimly lit local indoor range it wasn't any better than the factory sight. If you want something that really stands out then fiber optic sights are the way to go. I just put Williams fiber optic sights on my 6" GP100 and liked them so much I put them on my 4.2" Redhawk too. If you just want the front sight then you might want to look at Hi Viz, they make one with interchangeable color inserts.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I had a Meprolight front night sight on my 4" GP100 but wound up selling it. In low/no light it worked fine but at my dimly lit local indoor range it wasn't any better than the factory sight. If you want something that really stands out then fiber optic sights are the way to go. I just put Williams fiber optic sights on my 6" GP100 and liked them so much I put them on my 4.2" Redhawk too. If you just want the front sight then you might want to look at Hi Viz, they make one with interchangeable color inserts.
Wow, that sounds like exactly my experience. I started with FireSights - love the green dot rear but don't like the red front so I swapped that out for a green tritium Meprolight. But like kingstrider said, I can't see the green at all at my range where I shoot most often. I'm thinking of getting a HiViz green. Wish I had just started there. Oh well, gotta learn what works best for you and the only way to do that is by trying a few things.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Check out XS Sites. Not just your ordinary dots. I've put their product on my two ARs. Huge improvement.

Remember, if your gun's purpose is self defense then you must prepare for total darkness. Then all that plastic stuff will be worthless.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
I put Meprolight front sights on mine. I also switch out with a FO one sometimes.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Got a Clements front sight, great for bullseye. I have a HiViz and it's green and great for many applications. Have the Meprolight front sight and it's a great dark time sight. The beauty is you can use all three with a quick switch.

Clements for targets, HiViz green for general hunting and informal carry, and the Meprolight for night sight defense work.

Point of Aim doesn't move much among the three sights when you use 158grain slugs.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
If it's a plunger type front sight, grab a couple different sights and be happy. I use tritium night sights in mine - meprolight usually, but a few custom blades with trijicon vials.

If the night sights wash out in "moderate light," like that common to indoor ranges, throw a bit of white paint around the dot, then cover that with blaze orange.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My GP wears a tritium front sight most of the time. When I go to the range, HiViz sight put in (it takes maybe 10 seconds).
Tritium makes the GP easy to find in the dark. That's why I have one.
BTW I love the GP's bark. It'll scare off damn near anything.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
My 4" Fixed-Sight GP100 in .357 magnum (see Avatar) sports an XS Sights Tritium front sight...makes a world if difference in low/no light shooting! Works great!

·
Registered
649 Posts
another vote for Hi-Viz, made a big difference when shooting paper

·
Registered
629 Posts

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I have a green and an orange fiber optic for mine. I have the green mounted right now and it is BRIGHT in daylight. The down side is it looks a little bit more fragile than I prefer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts