Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
like the looks of the new SP 8 shot adjustable sighted revolver. Would like to hear from owners of the SP. Don't have a 22LR handgun and I've always liked the SP series.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Want to know about an SP101 22 4"

I love mine. It was good out of the box, but I took it apart and polished it up.

Some people have had poor luck with them, but I believe those guns were made during the rush after Sandy Hook.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Yes, there have been complaints and issues on these - notably heavy triggers - but we recently picked up a new one and it's been great. Very decent trigger pull in both SA and DA.

Accuracy on ours is good; not quite up to our Single Sixes, but still plenty good for most uses.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have one. It is a beauty. The trigger was/is very heavy. It was beginning to loosen up, but I decided to have someone work on it. They screwed it up so I sent it to Ruger. Ruger sent it back and now I almost need to use my leg to pull the trigger. My wife and daughter can't pull the trigger. If it had a good trigger it might be my second favorite revolver.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Mine is an early one. It had a good trigger from the beginning. My wife has shot over 7,000 rounds through it, and just to see how the Wolff spring kit was,I swapped springs for the lightest mainspring. It has a wonderful trigger, and is 100% reliable. Its a very well made revolver, and is a nice balance between bulk, and finesse. I like mine a lot.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I took mine apart and polished the innards when I bought it new; I did a Wolff spring swap and after my wife shot it she claimed it as hers... She lets me shoot it occasionally. She takes it down to the main components when she cleans it to ensure it passes her inspection :)

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Accuracy on ours is good; not quite up to our Single Sixes, but still plenty good for most uses.
My Stainless 6.5" SS is about a half lb heavier, and the longer barrel also gives it an edge over my SP101. I wish someone would supply a narrower front sight for the 101, as that also gives me some variation when trying for a consistent sight picture at 50yds.

But all in all, the .22/SP101's at my house have been very good as accuracy goes. And you can shoot shorts, CB's, and the longer Hyper V ammo without a hitch.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Again- that's a MOO. :)

The 4.2 .22 SP is not the best gun for small kids & those with lower hand strength.

One of the easiest & cheapest ways of getting around that stiff DA pull is....don't use it. :)
Denis

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Mine is very heavy in SA - to the point my wife can't pull the hammer back, double action is fine. Mine is very accurate and the fit and finish is excellent. One of these days I'm going to put Wolff springs in it.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
The 4.2" is fugly. Wish they'd bring back the full underlug 3".
The .357/4.2" has a full underlug, and I suspect the .22/SP would not balance as well with a heavier barrel. The 3" barrel is still available in .357, where the extra beef does reduce muzzle rise. .22's don't need that.

The 4.2 .22 SP is not the best gun for small kids & those with lower hand strength.

One of the easiest & cheapest ways of getting around that stiff DA pull is....don't use it. :)
Or, polish the internals and install a 8lb trigger return spring.

.22 Revolvers, and especially DA revolvers are plagued with the need for more hammer energy to reliably spark the rimfire rounds.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mine was like it had a handfull of sand in it. I changed out the trigger return spring and the hammer spring. All the internals were polished and shims added. It is very smooth in both DA and SA.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Mine had a very heavy double action pull. I sold it and bought a Three inch S&W 63 which I like much better. I Of course that is just my opinion.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The more I shoot mine the more I like it. I did put a Wolf hammer spring in it. I shoot it in double action only and for single action I shoot my Single Six.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My SP101 was made back in 2012, so I'm not sure if that is an early model or not. It has a very smooth trigger. Slightly heavy pull in DA, but smooth. I never thought about polishing inside or replacing any springs, until I read this thread. I did put one of the Ruger (Hogue) rubber monogrips on it which allowed it to fit my hand better.

I just noticed that Ruger released a GP100 10-shot .22 revolver. Ruger® GP100® Double-Action Revolver Model 1757

Have not seen one in person yet.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the input! I'm an old cop who carried DA revolvers for the majority of my career. Do a little shopping and purchase a well fitted one and then a polish and spring job!

Not quite sure why I need one as I own S&W 38 Kit guns. 3" adjustable sighted 38s.

Have to see what Santa has left to spend after XMas!

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
I bought matching revolvers in 4.2" 22LR, 327FM, and 357mag. Like any Ruger revolver, they need an action job to really sing.

Now I just need a weekend free to cut the 327FM and 357mag to half lugs instead then I'll really be set. I want to change out the terrible fiber-optic sights to boot, but haven't decided with what exactly to replace them (probably tritiums).

The SP101 is a fantastic small frame revolver, and the 4.2" 22LR version delivers everything it should. I suppose I could find myself wishing that it was a 5-6" version instead to gain a little speed and accuracy, but the 4.2" is very handy, and has made for a fantastic trapline revolver this winter.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Varmint Terror: I've had several SPs and with a little TLC they "work". If I was limited to one small frame revolver it would probably be the 4.2" SP in 357. Post on that 327 when you get it "tuned up" please!

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
My copy is 2.5 years old and a nice shooter. I for one understand the 22 nneds a heavier spring set and trigger pull to set off the rim fire cartrides so I am ok with the trigger pull.

It has such tight tollerances that it can become grit sluggish in loading shooting and extraction, but that is true for many guns.

Wish it held 10 rounds.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I went through both .357 and .22 SP "Kit Guns" to polish the hammer spring strut, exchange hammer and trigger return springs for Wolff replacements and add shims to hammer and trigger pivot pins. It wasn't a huge job (Youtube is my friend!), didn't cost much, and greatly improved the action of the guns. The .22 especially needed some help. I think it's a really nice little wheel gun.

PC

1 - 20 of 20 Posts