Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have cleaned and polished the bolt and reciever...cycles great...new scope nikon fixed 4...

yesterday i was able to get baseball sized groups at 50 yds..I was shooting from a good rest, but not a vice...

should i look at trigger then barrel ? also will my tapco stock be a hendrence to better accuracy?

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
It all depends on how much you want to spend. Some folks pour 1000's of dollars into their 10/22.

If you are a casual shooter, you might start with finding the perfect ammo for your CURRENT setup.

If you would like to upgrade a bit, start with a high quality target barrel at about $200. Add a Hogue stock at about $100, and upgrade your scope to a higher magnification. Triggers, and hammers, and bolt releases, oh my.

After all is said and done, you will still have to try NUMEROUS types of ammo to find one YOUR rifle likes.

After that, it's all up to YOU!

Good luck with your journey. Let us know how it goes, and post lots of pics!

D.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Both - trigger and barrel. I'd also opt for something other than the Tapvo although that's not a must-do. Unless you really know what you want and are sure you don't want to go top-tier, start with a simple hammer change. A barrel is equally important. Again, where along the spectrum do you want to be?

·
Registered
24 Posts
One word: "TRIGGER" Factory triggers are junk.:eek: Your barrel may be fine. But everyone knows the trigger at 6-9lbs is a joke, if you want the biggest improvement.....Trigger first, 2-3lbs sweet spot.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was using cci "AR" stuff.....im wanting to do this on the cheap....nothing on the super high end....what do you all think of the volquarsten hammer job???? hammer only...they say that will lighten the trigger a couple of pounds

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Have used the VQ hammer and the Power Custom one. The VQ seems to give a lighter feel while the PC one has a bit of a smoother feel and but a fractional difference in weight.

·
Registered
119 Posts
X2 on the trigger!!!
If you are really careful and know what you're doing, you can make the factory trigger a LOT smoother and a LOT lighter just by carefully stoning it. The after-market hammers are, I think, just improved sear-hammer cleanups on the same type of trigger as the factory model--except for Kidd, which I think is a completely re-designed and built trigger.

But if you want accuracy, don't spend money on anything else until you know your trigger is not jerking your gun around.

Barrels & other stuff will help, but you cannot possibly know how much improvement in accuracy until that OEM trigger is fixed or replaced. If you do it yourself, look into sear-hammer break, springs, and shims--probably in that order. (Sear improvement can happen just from hammer replacement if you get a good quality hammer.)

At least that's what I've found to help me a lot.
Angky.

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
Three words: practice, practice, practice.

If you have your scope set up right and you are shooting from a rest, your 10/22 is inherently more accurate than you are.

If your rifle is not jerking when it goes bang, it will hit what you aim at from 50 yards. Watch closely to make sure you are not flinching when you shoot.

As others have stated, though, an upgraded trigger is probably where you would get the best value for your money.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I bought my volquartsen target hammer from midway USA for less than $50 shipped. I was skeptical but was very pleased with the results. Reduced pull weight as advertised. I also added a gm 16.5 ss fluted sporter barrel. My groups shrank 50% with the barrel upgrade. I did not test group factory trigger so im not sure how much that helped.

·
Registered
44 Posts
X2 on the trigger!!!
If you are really careful and know what you're doing, you can make the factory trigger a LOT smoother and a LOT lighter just by carefully stoning it. The after-market hammers are, I think, just improved sear-hammer cleanups on the same type of trigger as the factory model--except for Kidd, which I think is a completely re-designed and built trigger.

But if you want accuracy, don't spend money on anything else until you know your trigger is not jerking your gun around.

Barrels & other stuff will help, but you cannot possibly know how much improvement in accuracy until that OEM trigger is fixed or replaced. If you do it yourself, look into sear-hammer break, springs, and shims--probably in that order. (Sear improvement can happen just from hammer replacement if you get a good quality hammer.)

At least that's what I've found to help me a lot.
Angky.
What Angky said!!

·
Banned
437 Posts
i have cleaned and polished the bolt and reciever...cycles great...new scope nikon fixed 4...

yesterday i was able to get baseball sized groups at 50 yds..I was shooting from a good rest, but not a vice...

should i look at trigger then barrel ? also will my tapco stock be a hendrence to better accuracy?
Just a bit of advice ....keep expectations reasonable. As mentioned many spend $1000s on a 10/22 but most of them just like to 'tinker'. If you are looking to increase accuracy, then you are on the right track. If you are wanting the best accuracy available, you picked the wrong gun.

>^..^<

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
I have a Target model that will put ten in one inch at 50 yards.
I have a new (last Fall) that I put different iron sights on (for Appleseed) that delivers one inch groups at 25 yards.
My bet is that you are pulling the trigger rather than a slow squeeze. ;)

·
Registered
119 Posts
slow squeeze

I have a Target model that will put ten in one inch at 50 yards.
I have a new (last Fall) that I put different iron sights on (for Appleseed) that delivers one inch groups at 25 yards.
My bet is that you are pulling the trigger rather than a slow squeeze. ;)
Yes, your assessment is correct in my case. Well, partially correct. I just cannot hold the gun steady through the long, increasingly hard, and unevenly gritty trigger. And when the trigger finally breaks, the gun jerks back the other way due to the sudden release of tension. I learned to pull gently through the very long trigger pull of the Mosin-Nagant, but this 10/22's trigger was the worst I had ever encountered. Now that I've worked on it, stoning & polishing & shimming, it still has a firm pull with a little bit of creep. But I can squeeze off shots smoothly now. I still have to work on a gentle & gradual squeeze, like you mentioned, but I have a trigger I can do that with now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts