Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend a mounting base for a scope on a 10/22 that lets you use iron sights or the scope as needed? The stock Ruger mounting plate blocks the rear sight! Thanks

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Here is a great set that I have on my 10/22. The peep is a better sight than the stock barrel mounted rear. You have to replace the front stock sight with the one that comes with the set. Because the stock one is too low. And the fiber optic is easier to see. The rail will allow you to use see through rings. However, see through rings are tall and will require you to raise your cheek off the stock to use the scope. I use regular medium height rings and remove the scope when I want to use the sights.
The link below is to Williams gunsights.
Ace in the Hole

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is a great set that I have on my 10/22. The peep is a better sight than the stock barrel mounted rear. You have to replace the front stock sight with the one that comes with the set. Because the stock one is too low. And the fiber optic is easier to see. The rail will allow you to use see through rings. However, see through rings are tall and will require you to raise your cheek off the stock to use the scope. I use regular medium height rings and remove the scope when I want to use the sights.
The link below is to Williams gunsights.
Ace in the Hole
Thanks a lot, Thanks for the link! Ill check them out

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Weaver makes a set of See-Thru Detachable Rings, no base required.

Mo That sound like what I want.I try and find them, You do not have the model # by chance? I want to keep iron sights on as well as the scope, SO depending range I am shooting I can use either

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,417 Posts
Radco, Optics related subjects should be posted in the "Optics" forum so I am moving your post.

When you read the Scope Dope article I referred to in your other thread, I addressed using a tall "see through" mount and gave several reasons why it is not a good idea.

I remember back decades ago when I scoped my first rifle. I was very concerned ... or maybe I just didn't trust the scope so I wanted iron sights as a backup. I installed Weaver "see through" rings and after a couple years of putting up with a poor cheek weld and substandard performance, I finally bought a set of medium height rings. More than 40 years later, I still have that rifle and you know what? I never had a single event where I needed iron sights. Most of the rifles I bought later didn't even come with iron sights .... and I never had an occasion where I needed them either. My point is ... once you commit to using a scope, it is very doubtful if you will ever use iron sights. If the scope fails for some reason, chances are you will buy a replacement.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Radco, Optics related subjects should be posted in the "Optics" forum so I am moving your post.

When you read the Scope Dope article I referred to in your other thread, I addressed using a tall "see through" mount and gave several reasons why it is not a good idea.

I remember back decades ago when I scoped my first rifle. I was very concerned ... or maybe I just didn't trust the scope so I wanted iron sights as a backup. I installed Weaver "see through" rings and after a couple years of putting up with a poor cheek weld and substandard performance, I finally bought a set of medium height rings. More than 40 years later, I still have that rifle and you know what? I never had a single event where I needed iron sights. Most of the rifles I bought later didn't even come with iron sights .... and I never had an occasion where I needed them either. My point is ... once you commit to using a scope, it is very doubtful if you will ever use iron sights. If the scope fails for some reason, chances are you will buy a replacement.
Thanks for moving it, wasn't sure which was best ,Ooops I made wrong choice lol Thanks again for your help and advice!

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have several on Marlin rifles and find them very dependable.
Thanks again Mo. I ordered a set for 15$ SO a great price.. No loss if they do not work. And yup to each their own, Some will like them some will not :O And even some like Hillary lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts