Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had not realized that Ruger ever produced a lever action rifle.
With that knowledge I humbly ask Ruger to produce another one.

I want someone, ANYONE, to produce a lever action .327 Federal magnum carbine.

I believe it would be a huge seller.
I would buy at least one or two, and I know others that would buy them as well.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
I believe it would be a huge seller.
Whenever I see someone say this I ask... Would you put your $ up to fund the R&D for it? Better yet, put your $ up and contract it yourself just as a distributor would for an exclusive.

While an interesting cartridge and platform for the cartridge, I just don't see it as a "huge seller". Look at those models already available in the cartridge. They're not exactly flying of the shelves nor do they command demand of the other chambering in the same models. If it wasn't for Lipsey's and their contracted models, there'd be even fewer models available. It just doesn't have the strong following Federal and Ruger hoped for.
Like the .32 H&R mag it's simply not appealing enough in the market to warrant the resources to design and produce. With so much of the market demand geared towards bigger - larger calibers and big power, the smaller calibers simply get over shadowed and passed over.
I do know that existing .32 H&R lever guns, the Marlin anyways, can be worked over and rechambered to the .327 Federal. Sometimes when what you want, if you really, honestly want it bad enough, isn't available, you gotta go about it a different route.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
They said the Glock 43 wouldn't sell. Flooded market.

Somebody, somewhere has the market research on what guns will be profitable. It's rarely a gamble.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
I wonder if Ruger still looks at the lever market. They were once in it. Will they enter it again? I thinkbthey have found some good markets to get into (ARs, 1911s, etc.).

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Better chance of making your plea over on the Henry forum. At least that's a company that actually makes lever action rifles. Would Ruger ever get back into the lever action game? I dunno. They were only in it from 1996 to 2009 and left it for a reason. I'm not really a lever action guy so I don't know - were the Ruger models considered to be good rifles? If so were they too expensive? There is very little discussion about them here so that suggests to me that they are somewhat obscure.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
I wonder if Ruger still looks at the lever market. They were once in it. Will they enter it again? I thinkbthey have found some good markets to get into (ARs, 1911s, etc.).
Their 96's didn't sell well at all, hence them being discontinued. 1911's, AR's...both have been high up on the demand ladder for a looong time. Even with the market as flooded as it is with them both it worked for them. I do believe if those such as Lipsey's who brought out the .327 Single Seven saw the potential for something such as a 1894 in .327 Federal, they've have one. Just too small of a market demand for full cataloged production.
Gotta add that the 1894CB I had in .32 H&R mag was a very sweet little shooter. Awesome little rifle that mated perfectly with my Single Sixes (baby Vaqueros). One is .32-20 I gotta believe would be equally fun.
I am a bit syurprised Ruger didn't offer their 96 in the .357 mag or 45Colt.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
This topic comes up every once in a while, I started a similar discussion some time ago as well. If Ruger ever gets around to making a 327 lever gun, I reckon Big Ol' Boy and I would be fighting for the front of the line.

The reality is that this kind if rifle will only appeal to a small number of people, and as Iowegan pointed out once, there are already enough 32's to satisfy the market. It's a miracle that the 327 was brought back in Ruger's line up to begin with. Hoping for a lever gun is almost too much to ask....almost.

·
Registered
805 Posts
IMO Marlin and Henry got the lever gun market almost filled up. The days of the lever gun being a dominant market item are likely over. Anything could happen but it does not seem that Ruger would want to get back in.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
IMO Marlin and Henry got the lever gun market almost filled up. The days of the lever gun being a dominant market item are likely over. Anything could happen but it does not seem that Ruger would want to get back in.
I think lever guns made a bit of a comeback over the past decade. Probably has something to do with the increasing popularity of cowboy action, maybe nostalgia too. But you're right, Henry and Marlin have it buttoned up.

·
Registered
17,240 Posts
I always thought Ruger would have been more successful with their lever actions, if they would have made them more like a 94 Winchester.
The 96/44 looked too much like a 44 Carbine, with a lever hangin off of it.

Reactions: Waveform

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
I always thought Ruger would have been more successful with their lever actions, if they would have made them more like a 94 Winchester.
Good observation - I agree. Sort of a morphed rifle - rotary magazine, lever action 44 Carbine. Style sells.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I would like to see some American manufacturer make a run of the WCF calibers like 38/40 and 44/40. I have wanted one or both to shoot black powder in for a long time. I even emailed Henry about this idea. They did not say yes did not say no. If Ruger made a traditional styled lever gun and added these calibers I would get one. I however would not disagree it probably would not be a big seller. Even with the cowboy action game there is not a huge lever gun market these days. I figure it will never happen.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
I'll take one in 7.62X39.:D
That would be some fun! I never thought of that... those AK pumps always intrigued me. I never thought of a lever in the caliber...

I agree. The 22 version similarly looked like a 10/22 with a lever. Unique for sure. Classic lever styling like historic designs may have been better for Ruger. Or not. Who knows...

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I would like to see some American manufacturer make a run of the WCF calibers like 38/40 and 44/40. I have wanted one or both to shoot black powder in for a long time. I even emailed Henry about this idea. They did not say yes did not say no. If Ruger made a traditional styled lever gun and added these calibers I would get one. I however would not disagree it probably would not be a big seller. Even with the cowboy action game there is not a huge lever gun market these days. I figure it will never happen.
https://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/the-henry-original/

Henry in 44-40

1 - 20 of 48 Posts