Ruger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....Also known as the Taylor Knock Out formula. For those who don't know, this was a method devised by elephant hunter John "Pondoro" Taylor for ranking the power of cartridges. It's formulated thus: Multiply the diameter of the bullet times the muzzle velocity times the weight in grains, then divide the resulting number by 7,000. Examples would be the the 9mm 124 grain load scoring a TKO value of 7.2. The .45 ACP 230 grain registers 12.6. The 12 gauge Federal 1 oz. HP slug comes in at a TKO rating of 71.4. Now, I have no opinions on this system or it's validity....because I'm not a hunter, and I positively stink at ballistics, biology, physics, and numbers in general! I'm just wondering what you guys think.

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
I plan to keep a eye on this thread since "knock down power" is always a subject discussed around the gun counter at the LGS. A 45/70 black powder charge with a 600gn. projectile @ 1200fps. seems to give me some wild numbers.

I'm reading the formula as (diameterXspeedXbullet weight)/7000=n

Is that correct?

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[QUOTE

I'm reading the formula as (diameterXspeedXbullet weight)/7000=n

Is that correct?[/QUOTE]

The way I typed it is how I read it directly from an older article by John Taffin [credit where credit is due, and all of that].

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
That's 46.286 whatever's. I'm on the road right now, but if nobody else has done it by the time I get home, I'll project it in a spreadsheet to see what happens.

As much as I respect our pal bwinters, I think that this would be true of any projectile since what you are looking at is terminal energy of the bullet, not how it reacts on the target. Mass X velocity squared equals energy transfered (I think - OK, I'm getting o-l-d already). :D It's been a few years since I looked at these equations.

The shape/material/stabilization of the projectile would determine the effects seen in the impact at the target, but this formula examines that stored energy of the projectile if it was totally expended ten feet from the barrel. Not real world of course. Just a relative energy number.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyone else?

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm...I'd kinda hoped for a few more responses than this. Methinks I've perhaps hit upon a topic that's either not well known enough to merit much discussion, OR, it's already been talked to death before. Oh, well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts