Ruger Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for opinions on rests to use when sighting in a hunting rifle. Brands? Style? Pros/Cons? One piece? Separate front/rear supports?
I've always used the latter but I sometimes feel like I struggle getting consistent results (which I know is also based on me). Max distance would be 100 yards; might try 150 in some cases to see what happens.
Thanks,

·
Banned
402 Posts
Old pants or old sweat pants, cut off at the knee tie off bottom--fill with sifted sand--tie off top. Make a smaller one for the back under the stock. if two heavy for you use some of the little Styrofoam balls they mix with potting soil.
Carry bag/s can be made lighter. toed together and carried over the shoulder.
Right hand squeezes rear bag for fine adjustments. Try front bag just after hold down screw aft of the trigger guard. Bag placement against/under forearm effects point of impact. Don't reach up and press down on the scope.

·
Registered
998 Posts
The Caldwell Led Sled is a great rest for sighting in rifles. I bought mine years ago after purchasing a 300 Ultra Mag.

The Led Sled took all of the pain out of shooting the rifle and will also keep it nice and steady.
+1 on the Caldwell lead sled. I have 2 different models, one is the older "Original Lead Sled" and the other is the newer Caldwell FTX model I purchased this year. I used the FTX Lead sled to sight in my Savage 110 .22-250 and I was breaking clay birds from 640 yards! It also makes shooting "painful" heavy magnums and 3" deer slugs a pleasure instead of a daunting experience! There are several models to choose from ranging in price from about $70 to around $300.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.