Ruger Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I've searched my manuals, and have researched this powder on line... But not much data out there on this Silhouette (used to be WAP). I have some that I tried with .45 ACP, but want to do a few tests with it in other calibers 'just to see' how it works since I have almost a full can to burn.

I have found that it is around HS-6 as far as burn rate is concerned and one load I found in .44Spec mentioned 7.8g under a 240g XTP. So I was going to start at 7.0g in .44Spec under 240g SWC.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone out there has used or have data available on the powder. Ramshot website has zilch when it comes to .44Special/.44mag, and .45 Colt, before I jump in to the fire so to speak.

·
Banned
619 Posts
rclark, I buy it by the 4# jug. Silhouette (WAP) was really designed for high pressure auto cartidges so that's why there's no data at the Ramshot website. If you look around you will find data for cartridges like .357 Magnum and such. Most of what I've found is at Steve's Pages. It only lists minimum and max charges with no performance data. I do use Silhouette for some .45 ACP loads where I want high velocity and it works very well but it really was designed for high pressure auto cartridges (like 9mm, .40 and 10mm) and is supposed to be the original .40 S&W powder and maybe the powder used to develop 9 X 23mm Winchester. Burn rate is similar to HS-6 but the powder I think it comes closest to is V-V 3N37 which I used to use a lot before I switched to Silhouette.

If you can get Ramshot powders easily, I recommend you check out True Blue and save the Silhouette for auto cartridges. It is universal in terms of being able to work well in all handgun cartridges. It's a very fine grained and true ball shaped powder. Nothing I know of will meter better and may be the reason why it's so consistent in everything from .380 to .454 Casull. ;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts