Ruger Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
OK, got the LC9 back! Going to take it to the range tomorrow...

BTW, Just wanted to let everyone know Ruger Tech quoted:

'Technician suggests discontinuing excessive dry firing, JP'

So there you have it. Can't dry fire the LC9 'excessively' -- even with snap-caps or the laser bullett... so you can dry fire it, just not that much...

I find it interesting I can 'fire' with live rounds, but not 'fire' with snap-caps...

BUT, Ruger's customer service is OUTSTANDING...

-Don

·
Registered
445 Posts
Comment / question:

I have an LC9 pistol. What is rugers stance on dry firing the pistol? What is their stance on using snap caps? Thank you

Response: No, snap caps are not recommended for dry firing. The firing pin in the Ruger LC9-Series pistols is of the inertia type and dry firing should cause no damage to the firearm. When handling the firearm, ensure compliance with all warnings and instructions contained in the instruction manual, and be especially careful to keep your firearm pointed in a safe direction. An empty magazine must always be locked in place for dry firing.

If you need further information, please visit our website at www.ruger.com

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Comment / question:

I have an LC9 pistol. What is rugers stance on dry firing the pistol? What is their stance on using snap caps? Thank you

Response: No, snap caps are not recommended for dry firing. The firing pin in the Ruger LC9-Series pistols is of the inertia type and dry firing should cause no damage to the firearm. When handling the firearm, ensure compliance with all warnings and instructions contained in the instruction manual, and be especially careful to keep your firearm pointed in a safe direction. An empty magazine must always be locked in place for dry firing.

If you need further information, please visit our website at www.ruger.com
Thank you, I knew i read it somewhere.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
did ck the ammo often. I used American Eagles and UMCs. The issue happened on the American Eagles. Its hard to learn a pistol if you are told not to dry fire 'excessively'. Just hate the LC9 trigger. Love the SR9c and SR9 though. LC9 is a 'backup' now and I'll take it out just to be 'able' to shoot with it, but as my CCW, no -- I'm using the SR9c with the N8 square pro holster (LOVE that holster! very comfortable -- I'm a 'big' guy so looked for comfort!)

n82tactical.com

-Don

·
Registered
18 Posts
I also have concerns with my Rugers for CCW. I bought a LC9, had to send it back for repairs, they replaced the frame. I bought a SR22, today I will send it back for the second time. This is all in the past few months.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My firing pin broke on my new LC9 today. Had about 600 rounds in it. After firing a round I saw a rodlike thing sticking out the back of my slide just above the cocked hammer. It was the firing pin and so I just slid it right out of the gun.:confused:

Gun is on its way to Ruger.

Very disconcerting.

It is my only gun. It is for concealed carry (I am a private investigator).:eek:

I was firing 115 grain hollow points. Not +p or +p+.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm wondering if this might be the result of a light firing pin spring. Out of all my 9mm pistols, the lc9 launches a no.2 pencil the furthest. A slightly lighter hammer spring might resolve the FP from banging against the firing pin retainer and either sheering the FP itself or bending it and causing eventual fatigue failure. I've never had a light strike with my lc9 but hitting the primer with enough force to launch a pencil completely out of the barrel pointing straight up is probably overkill. Anyone make a lighter hammer spring or heavier FP spring?

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
I'm wondering if this might be the result of a light firing pin spring. Out of all my 9mm pistols, the lc9 launches a no.2 pencil the furthest. A slightly lighter hammer spring might resolve the FP from banging against the firing pin retainer and either sheering the FP itself or bending it and causing eventual fatigue failure. I've never had a light strike with my lc9 but hitting the primer with enough force to launch a pencil completely out of the barrel pointing straight up is probably overkill. Anyone make a lighter hammer spring or heavier FP spring?
You might want to check with Ruger. They may be using a different firing pin spring than the original design. I had light primer strikes in 12/12 & they replaced my firing pin & spring. I had close to 1500 rounds & that many dry-fires.
400 rounds since then without issue & the primer strikes seem deeper.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Do you have a decocker safety on your strikers ? With my P89 I dry fire it with the safety on and the cam gives the illusion of a dry fire without engaging the firing pin. I have actually dry fired less than 20 times due to this feature.

·
Registered
7 Posts
As a professional, you need a BUG.
While my LC9 was in for repairs I did go out and buy a BUG. A Walther PPK.

The LC9 was returned to me about a week later. They say they replaced the firing pin and firing pin retainer. They also advised against "excessive" dry firing and said when dry firing to use spring-loaded snap caps.

Right now I am carrying the PPK. I have put about 160 rounds through the LC9 since it was returned with no problems. But that issue with the broken firing pin has me a bit queezy about carrying it for now. Will want to fire it a lot at the range before trusting it.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts