Ruger Forum banner

Do You Think That Sign Alerting Intruders That You Have Firearms Is A Good Idea?

• Great Idea! Where Do I Buy One?

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • Bad Idea! What Was She Thinking?

Votes: 69 89.6%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Many of you may have recently seen the story of the Indy woman who shot an intruder who broke into her house even though she had a rather conspicuous "We Don't Dial 911" sign hanging on her porch. I've always thought that using signs of this nature on the home or car, and essentially advertising that you have firearms is a bad idea. Whether someone cases your place and decides to remove your guns while you are gone or whether a picture of the sign is entered into evidence if you end up in court after a self defense shooting, it just again ... seems a bad idea to me. What say you?

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. — The sign outside of an Indianapolis house is quite clear. It reads, “We don’t dial 911” and includes an image of a handgun.
An intruder learned the hard way that the sign was no joke .....

·
Registered
629 Posts
I voted good idea. I say give em a warning and if the intruder still wants to proceed further, well I guess they had it coming! Cheers gunna.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I voted bad idea for the same reasons Buck stated. I don't want to advertise I have guns in the home.

In the event of a self defense shooting, which I pray never happens, such a sign could be used against the homeowner in a criminal hearing or civil suit.

·
Super Moderator
21,412 Posts
I give no indication that we are armed the BG's will have to learn that the hard way.

·
Reloading Addict
10,714 Posts
I voted good idea but I wouldn't go to that extreme. I do have a sign on my porch that warns.."Intruders will be shot, survivors will be shot again".

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Could be construed by some university types as micro aggression. But then again they are not on a university campus. :rolleyes:

I don't think the signs make a huge difference one way or the other. Kind of like a beware of dog sign. Also probably should be in some international common pictograph for those that don't read or speak English.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I voted "Bad Idea"...(for me)

Such as my concealed carry philosophy goes, I broadcast zero awareness and warning that I am armed and prepared to defend myself if need be.

I don't believe in taunting or challenging a bad guy to take an action towards me that he might not if left "unprovoked".

If the bad guy cannot abide by the laws of this land and of God's word, like others that do, than he's going to have a bad day, brought upon himself through his own stupidity.

Nuff' said...

·
Registered
10,286 Posts
Good and bad....

I had a friend who had three guns stolen from his car is less than a year.

Policeman finally told him to remove that NRA bumper sticker before he parked in the shopping center downtown.

It worked.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
While I love the message, I think there are two problems with novelty signage. As Buck mentioned, signs like that (even if they are a joke, but not a joke) can be a problem in court. They shouldn't, but you can bet the family of a shot intruder will be using it to look for a pay day. My personal favorite is the sign that says "That door you just kicked in was for your protection, not mine."

The second problem I see is that signs like that can backfire and attract gun seeking burglars.

In my opinion, this is the best kind of sign.

·
Super Moderator
16,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
.....I had a friend who had three guns stolen from his car is less than a year. Policeman finally told him to remove that NRA bumper sticker before he parked in the shopping center downtown.

It worked.
Exactly why I don't have an NRA sticker on any of my vehicles :).

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
I say let the bad guy be surprised when he walks through my door uninvited.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
No one needs to know........

·
Registered
458 Posts
Bad idea... I'm not worried about people knowing that I have firearms. Neighbors hear me shooting all the time... They know. My problem is that I'm pretty sure there is a cop that is facing charges, or has been charged for manslaughter or murder for having a custom dust cover on his police ar-15 that said {edited for language}. Seems like a liability and might be perceived that you didn't even try to resolve the situation.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I'm surprised that that certain states don't require gun owners to post a sign. The sign I would post, if required by law, would be "Secured by Ruger, Smith and Wesson, Winchester, and others".

·
Registered
6,243 Posts
Signs like "we don't call 911" and the like could be used by an anti-gun prosecutor as evidence that you were reckless and seeking a confrontation. As funny as they might be, I don't like the idea of "muddying the waters" in the event of a self-defense shooting.

Jim

·
Registered
54 Posts
According to the story the intruder shot first. The sign didn't deter him from breaking in, he was just prepared to shoot. I'd prefer the intruder not be anticipating that I'll be armed.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I voted no, I agree with the majority I don't advertise gun ownership. Unfortunately though participation forums, shooting clubs and associations are advertisement enough.

I did however find the sign humorous.

·
Premium Member
2,727 Posts
Signs are a bad idea. Why would you want to proclaim to everyone that you have firearms? It will only bring unwanted and unnecessary attention to you from the wrong element. It tells the bad guys that your home is a convenient shopping center whenever the opportunity presents itself.

I liken it to carrying a concealed weapon and then telling everyone around you that you have one.

When it comes to defensive firearms...keep it classified!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts