Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A lot of guys bear hunt, but something about em, unlike a deer, I have no desire to shoot one. As crazy as it may sound to a lot of you, unless they are are wanting a piece of me, I let em go.
I dont hunt them either, but they damn sure aint huntin me, the wife or my pups either! I wont pay it no mind, cept If they get aggressive

·
Registered
428 Posts
Went hiking last week in PA’s Michau State Forest. I’ve been hiking there for over 50 years. The hike was the first one on which I did not see a black bear even far away. Talked to a Ranger who told me that there have been fewer bear sightings there than normal this year, but that some bears from MD were moving into PA. He said there is no bear season in MD so the bear population keeps growing and then some migrate to PA. Maybe the lack of sightings is a fluke. I hope so.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Went hiking last week in PA’s Michau State Forest. I’ve been hiking there for over 50 years. The hike was the first one on which I did not see a black bear even far away. Talked to a Ranger who told me that there have been fewer bear sightings there than normal this year, but that some bears from MD were moving into PA. He said there is no bear season in MD so the bear population keeps growing and then some migrate to PA. Maybe the lack of sightings is a fluke. I hope so.
I dont know much about the subject at all, but here, in Ne Ohio I constantly have bald eagles, yotes, foxes. In my youth, those were not around much if any. Never a bear. But in the past 5 years folks been reporting bear. Now very close to me.

·
Registered
SS security six
23 Posts
My dog went batshitcrazy the other night, saw bear tracks in the driveway taking the Boy to the school bus in the Am. Walking along, normal, then you can see where she (?) started digging for traction, about mid driveway, where the dog took off to. Good pup. I hate bears with a passion, should be open season on them year round.

I was in the cottage, in a rare unarmed state, when this one came into the porch knocking in the middle of the night very rudely to get in. Boy (5 at the time) and I were on the top bunk with the firepoker at the ready. Not sure what It would have done if it did get in, thankfully our yelling turned him around and out it went.
Brown Wood Door Fixture Flooring

Next day in the very middle of our little lake:
Cloud Water Sky Water resources Atmosphere

Top of that window is 60" off the ground.
Building Window House Tree Cottage

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My dog went batshitcrazy the other night, saw bear tracks in the driveway taking the Boy to the school bus in the Am. Walking along, normal, then you can see where she (?) started digging for traction, about mid driveway, where the dog took off to. Good pup. I hate bears with a passion, should be open season on them year round.

I was in the cottage, in a rare unarmed state, when this one came into the porch knocking in the middle of the night very rudely to get in. Boy (5 at the time) and I were on the top bunk with the firepoker at the ready. Not sure what It would have done if it did get in, thankfully our yelling turned him around and out it went.
View attachment 171712

Next day in the very middle of our little lake:
View attachment 171713

Top of that window is 60" off the ground. View attachment 171714
This and ya'lls lack of a declaration of independence is why I don't visit much.🤣🤣
Very telling pics my friend!

·
Registered
54 Posts
A lot of guys bear hunt, but something about em, unlike a deer, I have no desire to shoot one. As crazy as it may sound to a lot of you, unless they are are wanting a piece of me, I let em go.
Same here. Partly because they are so intelligent, partly because they have given me a reprieve several times when I have inadvertently done the things that are guaranteed to bring on an attack according to the experts. Took me a few years to figure it out but I know why they haven't attacked me and why they attack other people in the same circumstances. Been having encounters with bears since I was 12, so many I couldn't even try to count the amount of times. I respect them, don't do stuff to piss them off, at least not intentionally, they tolerate me.

·
Registered
320 Posts
There's a birdseye video of a Grizzly running across a snow covered mountain making it's way around the Internet. That big boy is a freight train! Anyone with ideas of outrunning one of those things needs to adopt a new strategy of only outrunning their companions.

·
Registered
13,839 Posts
Not sure if it's close to where you were, but an engineer I work with was hiking in Pennsylvania with his wife last week, the area they were in is called Little Grand Canyon. It's approximately in the northern central part of the state. Anyways, him and his wife saw (3) bears, lots of other critters but no snakes whatsoever. He was talking to a local and mentioned the bears, the local wasn't to concerned about the bears but did question him about seeing any snakes.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts