Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was the Mini-14 included in the original AWB?

·
4E617468616E 4C656767
1,840 Posts
No. The Ruger Mini-14 was not specifically named or called out in the original AWB (H.R. 3355, SEC. 110102, Subsection B, Definition 30A).

·
Registered
719 Posts
I do not think that it was originally, BUT the models with synthetic stocks & muzzle brakes (Government Bayonet=models) were "Law Enforcement Use Only" (as some were stamped with this0 I think, and NO MAGS over 5 rounds I think ? ? ?

Someone correct me please if I am wrong on my facts here....

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Taken directly from the '90s Fed ban......

(30) The term "semiautomatic assault weapon" means - (A) any of the firearms, or copies or duplicates of the firearms in any caliber, known as - (i) Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (all models); (ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil; (iii) Beretta Ar70 (SC-70); (iv) Colt AR-15; (v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC; (vi) SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12; (vii) Steyr AUG; (viii) INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22; and (ix) revolving cylinder shotguns, such as (or similar to) the Street Sweeper and Striker 12; (B) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of - (i) a folding or telescoping stock; (ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon; (iii) a bayonet mount; (iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and (v) a grenade launcher.

·
Registered
719 Posts
The problem is Senator Feinstein's bill that they say will be put to a vote the first thing this January when the new Congress Session is openned up...

According to news reports the FEINSTEIN bill seeks to ban ANY gun with a detachable magazine or clip as well as any gun with greater than a 10 round capacity...

THAT is what has been reported...
Whether THAT is accurate or not I do NOT know...

BUT if it is then the liberals intend to go MUCH FARTHER than the orgininal AWB....

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
That would include a Mini-14 and 10/22 would it not?
Gotta read the rest of it. "and has at least 2 of-"

I.E. if it had a stock with a pistol grip AND a flash suppressor OR threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor it would have been a "banned weapon".

During that ban, there was a cut off date of manufacture (sometime late '94 I think). Anything made BEFORE that date was not "banned" (legal to own), anything made AFTER that date was not legal to own except for military/law enforcement purposes.

One of the other parts of Fed ban was magazines with a capacity greater than 10 rounds (with the same manufacture cut off date).

Here in MA when the Fed ban was going to expire in 2004 the State took the Fed ban basically verbatim and made it State law. So here in MA with the correct license you can own that stuff but it's gotta be darn near 20 years old (no BX25 magazines for the 10/22 here:( )

·
Registered
202 Posts
Here in The Democratic People's Republic of Nu Joisey magazine capacity for any firearm is limited to 15 rounds. My Beretta 92 has 15 round mags, all Mini-14's, and AR platform rifles have 10 round mags only because they don't make a 15. It's either a 5, a 10, a 20, or a 30....(referring to standard type mags, not the drums and such)....

Also much like the AWB, you can have an AR, if it's the M-4 type the stock has to be fixed or pinned in the extended position, no flash hider, 10 round mags. Most guys I shoot with have the match grade target models with the full fixed stock, heavy match grade barrel.....

The funny thing is, the semi-auto Thompson some how slipped through their cracks, and was never listed here in the NJ law, the WWII model with the non-pistol grip fore stock is legal, again with only 10 round mags.....

It's all senseless B.S. as we all know, feel good legislation at it's finest....:rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts