Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I was stuck in the house because of the recent snowzilla here in the east coast. Watching too many YouTube videos, I decided to change the hammer spring and trigget spring on my newly bought, used Wiley Clapp. I put in the 10 lb trigger spring and 12 lb hammer spring. I also have a GP100 that uses the 8 lb trigger spring ftom the same spring kit. It feels that my GP100 with the oem hammer spring(14 lb), has a lighter hammer than my WC with a 12 lb hammer spring. Also, the trigger on my WC doesn't feel as smooth as my GP. It feels it was smoother when I had the OEM spring.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Not know too much about your GP100 WC why don't you leave your WC as is for now. Try and break it in say 300=500 round. Keep it lubed just try cleaning out thr burrs & rough edges that I have heard about here. My last two SP101's have had rough edges around the hammer, trigger guard & trigger edges. I used my dremel with the polish edge to smooth up the edges I mentioned. This is what I found on my SP101. I have never had to do this to my K framed S&W but these are two totally different built revolvers. This is what I did with my new Ruger SP101 .327 FM it seems to have smoothed up with use. Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got the WP used from a local gunstore. I have no clue how many rounds thru it, although it looks very nice. As mentioned, I have some springs left in my spring kit I used in my GP. Being stuck in the house, watching too many YouTube videos, and having good experience changing the trigger spring on my GP to a lighter 8 lb spring, I decided to use the remaining trigger and hammer spring on my WP.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Both of mine had standard springs. The spring kits were an improvement. Then again I had 500 and 1500 through them respectively before cleaning, lubing and spring kitting. IIRC I only went down to the next weight down from stock. Reliability and positive trigger return are more important to me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought my GP100 new in September 2013. I don't know if the WC models have a different serial number, but, my WC has a newer serial number than my GP. I am going to install the oem springs when I get some free time today.

·
Registered
323 Posts
So I was stuck in the house because of the recent snowzilla here in the east coast. Watching too many YouTube videos, I decided to change the hammer spring and trigget spring on my newly bought, used Wiley Clapp. I put in the 10 lb trigger spring and 12 lb hammer spring. I also have a GP100 that uses the 8 lb trigger spring ftom the same spring kit. It feels that my GP100 with the oem hammer spring(14 lb), has a lighter hammer than my WC with a 12 lb hammer spring. Also, the trigger on my WC doesn't feel as smooth as my GP. It feels it was smoother when I had the OEM spring.
Morning jun

Sometimes lighter springs can bring out the worst in a guns action. With heavier springs that can mask a basic trigger system grittiness.

My (personal) suggestion is to lightly buff the contact surfaces (just buff, no sand or metal removal), then shim the trigger, hammer, & hammer dog to be centered & moving super freely-- THEN install lighter springs.

Also compare the removed spring coil count, spring length, & wire diameter to what you just installed. It's possible that your gun already had lighter springs than you just installed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts