Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, in TX we have the 30.06 law stating that CHL holders may not carry their weapon on the premesis (sp?). To the best of my knowledge in TX unless you are asked not to carry and it's not one of the 6 places you are restricted from carrying here, it doesn't matter what the sign says (unless there is the 30.06 sign). Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

If there is a sign when you enter a building saying firearms are restricted inside the buidling (not a 30.06 sign in TX), do you still carry in the building?

Also, I usually wear and undershirt when I carry to keep the weapon off my skin, but tonight, I just went with a Tshirt and covered my piece. Felt kind of weird being that I never carry like that. I felt like I had a huge growth on my hip.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
i'd respect the rights of the property owner and not carry a gun onto the place----but at the same time, i feel the property owner ain't repectin' me so i'd just take my business elsewhere..........

·
Banned
282 Posts
If a property owner posts a sign saying I can not carry on his premises, I carry anyway. From time-to-time, I may challenge the sign and the reasons they were posted (my wife hates it when I do that). Sometimes I have changed their minds, sometimes not.

In my neck of the woods, a property owner who posts a sign saying no guns allowed, does not have the force of law. If you have to use your pistol to defend your life on such a premises, oh well. They can ask you to leave and may want to press trespassing charges, but that's about it.

That's why we call it concealed. Nobody's supposed to know. Don't ask. Don't tell.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,471 Posts
In my state (Nebraska), when official "No Weapons Allowed" signs are posted, it is a violation of the state's weapons laws to carry in those places. If you get caught, you lose your permit to carry and because it is a "weapons charge", you may lose the right to own a firearm. If you don't have a CCW permit, you go straight to jail ... major felony.

I wouldn't even think about risking the loss of my permit or gun ownership so I either don't go armed behind the signs or do what deputy125 said .... take my business elsewhere. You might want to check the laws in your state ... it's not worth a trip to jail.

·
Banned
298 Posts
I agree with the general consensus that it is out of respect to the property owner. but anyone who puts up them signs is no friend of mine. Most places posting the sign are places I would rather not be in anyhow.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Respectfully

Respectfully; sign says now firearms; no firearms it is.
I go somewhere else.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Neophyte said:
Respectfully; sign says now firearms; no firearms it is.
I go somewhere else.
I agree.

It would be nice to have a business card sized document that you could hand to the store manager that says something like:

"You say that those with legal authority to carry a concealed weapon can not carry in your store. Does that mean you accept FULL legal responsibility for their safety while they are in your building? If not, you will doubtless understand why I take my business elsewhere."

At least that way the store manager knows he lost business AND it was handled in a non confrontational manner. :D

·
Registered
377 Posts
I also would do business elsewhere.

Ed

·
Registered
47 Posts
My Instructor (CCW Class) gave us a situation:
He is in ,oh say,Wally world (IN TEXAS)shopping and a person that works there comes up and says'Sir we believe you are carrying a weapon and we would like you leave the store". What do you do?.............
Several people,including me got the answer wrong.
If you are asked to leave,DO IT. Dont argue with them at all. Take your weapon,secure it (in the vehicle or even back home) ,then return to shopping. If you stay,you COULD be arrested for crimminal trespass and you probably will have to be searched by the police.Then you get in more deeper than you really wanted to.
It is hard for me not to want to argue my point ,especially when I think Im right,but under these conditions....Im out of there.
Im not going to risk loosing what I worked so hard to get.
By the way, IF you leave that gun IN your locked vehicle,make VERY sure that you remove that ammo from it and keep it ON YOUR BODY! (Yes IN the store with you)
Dont want some store manager to get YOU to leave a loaded weapon inside your car only to return & find out its been stolen or broken into!
Maybe being shot with my OWN gun,leaves a BAD taste in my mouth.......
If they have a sign,Im going somewhere else,but if asked to leave,I will do it.Usually means your conceal...... AINT concealed.
Stay Safe,BoogeyMan.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Why do we see a YEAR OLD thread coming back? :confused:

·
Registered
730 Posts
Looks like the guy is new to the forum(3-09) was reading old threads and thought he had something useful to add. Personally I like that better than starting a new thread, but I will usually leave old threads alone, even if I think I have something contribute to the conversation. But that is just me.

·
Registered
824 Posts
'cause newbs like me want to put in our two cents.

Another point for MN carry law - If I carry into a place that is posted (and the law is very specific about what a proper posting is) in order to be in violation of the law 1. a person with authority in the premise asks me to leave 2. I refuse to leave then, I may be ticketed $25 and the ticketing officer will ensure that I leave. . . though the officer is forbidden from confiscating my weapon.

This was one (of several) area where the guys that wrote our carry law did a very good job.

·
Banned
640 Posts
I too, would probably start a new thread, but this is a subject that will be revisited with the arrival of new members. Same as the CCW badge, the best gun, the best ammo, the best holster.

Different states have different laws. Many states will only have trespass laws IF YOU ARE CAUGHT. If you are concealing and are caught, you obviously are concealing well enough. Expect to be caught.

Here in AZ, a posted establishment APPEARS to be backed by law, but I cannot find any case law that backs that up. So my thinking, here, it could be hand written on a napkin and carry the same weight as the 30.06 sign in TX. Luckily, I’ve seen very few signs in AZ except in high density tourist areas. This gives the CA tourist a warm feeling I guess. The biggest problem we have here is that many are leaving CA, coming here, and end up trying to change our values to CA’s values.

The following site is just full of really good info on firearms. The link goes directly to things you can print up to give to the offending shopkeeper. The owner of this site is a real character with many other interests, so it’s a fun site to browse anyway.

http://www.the-eggman.com/writings/ccw_letter_tpl_001.html

Chris

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
The way I look at it: is there a metal detector at the door? Is it a school?

If the answer is no to both of those questions.....well then...lets see.

Carrying concealed means concealed, if you're doing your job right no one will know you have your weapon.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Old Threads: Well Im not sure but "I" just got here myself,and I appreciate in info from where ever or when ever it comes.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The only place I've seen around here with a No Weapons sign is a gas station. This one is on the reservation down by Baraga, so I'm not sure what laws apply. In the rest of Michigan you will be charged with trespassing if you are asked to leave and don't leave. Rather than take the chance on getting caught, I like to spend my money elsewhere.

·
Registered
30 Posts
In Utah, if a business posts a sign stating that ccw is not allowed, by law they are assuming responsibility for your safety. When this law went into effect, almost all signs came down. I very rarely see one now.

If I do, I ignore it. My life is more important than respecting their wishes, especially when I know they really can't protect me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts