Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a gp100 357 im wanting to put a scope on it but id rather not drill it i dont trust a gunsmith to not ruin my awesome gun. Id like to scope it with a magnifying scope using the weigatinny no drill mount. Im worried it will allow the scope to move and wont stay dialed in properly. Has anyone had issues with the mount? Ive heard drilling is the best option but how do i know the Smith wont drill wrong

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Is this the one you are looking at?

https://www.jackweigand.com/Ruger-GP100-Scope-Mounts-No-Drill.html

That mounts in the front sight dovetail and the rear sight? No experience on this mount, but to have it drilled and tapped is fairly easy and straightforward. If its a reputable 'smith, I wouldnt worry as its one of the easier things to do. In fact its straightfoward enough that they have a link to a youtube video for you to do it yourself. I would skip that and just have a gunsmith with the proper training and equipment do it.

So, why the distrust of gunsmiths?

·
Banned
1,940 Posts
I've had one on my GP100 for several years and it's held a zero even after shooting around 5000 rds of my reloads through it. Even with those cheap ebay rings that I keep forgetting to replace with some nicer QD rings in case I want to swap out the scope for a red dot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys im going to go ahead with the no drill mount. Any suggestions on scopes? Im mostly shooting in a 25yd range but i may take it hunting sometime. I dont want to go cheap and end up with junk but i dont want to break the bank either.

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
I'd highly recommend a quality red dot for 25 yard range work and for hunting, too, given a 357 revolver is basically a 50 yard deer gun. A red dot is MUCH easier to use than a scope and won't be heavy enough to change the balance of the gun. My favorites are the Ultradots or Burris Fastfires. A good inexpensive red dot is the Bushnell TRS-25 if price is a concern.

·
Registered
82 Posts
It’s an excellent optics mount, very solid. As for holsters, Simply Rugged makes a scoped revolver holster, which might accommodate that set up, but I thinks it’s designed as a chest rig. I’m not sure what kind of belt holsters are available for an optics-equipped GP, maybe someone else can help there.

Attachments

·
Registered
302 Posts
It’s an excellent optics mount, very solid. As for holsters, Simply Rugged makes a scoped revolver holster, which might accommodate that set up, but I thinks it’s designed as a chest rig. I’m not sure what kind of belt holsters are available for an optics-equipped GP, maybe someone else can help there.
That is one sweet looking piece.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts