Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright boys. I'm about 236 right now. I've lost a little weight before, but tend to default back to 236 and not much over that no matter how many delicious meatball and cheese subs I eat. I am 6'0", and don't really have the desire to get down to like 185. BUT, I think I'd be a lot happier at 210. That's my goal: 210.

So I'm here out in the open stating that I want to lose 25 pounds by the end of the year. That's just five pounds a month for five months, starting with August 1.

For you married guys, here's another strategy. I plan on rewarding myself if I can do this. And wives will absolutely buy into this because they are tired of looking at our beer bellies. If I weigh 210 on New Years Eve I get to buy that shotgun I will have picked out! That's an easy choice for the ladies in the house, I know my wife would pay a few hundred bucks to see me 25 pounds lighter!

Anyone with me? Want to take the Ruger Forum Challenge?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Go for it EddieF. But I got you beat already. I use to be a fraction over 6', shrinking every year. My max weight was 219, but now down to 194 in stocking feet. Bounce back & forth up to as high as 198. Haven't broke back into the 200s. My secret? I quit smoking in Feb. Don't ask me how but that's when I lost the weight.
Also started eating salads and chicked, stay away from the fried foods most of the time. Just watch your diet and that will help alot.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My biggest weakness is probably chips. Chips and fries, I can't leave them alone. I think if I knocked those out and got back into a walking routine I could do it. When you break it down by 5 pounds a month, that's like a pound a week, it's not that much when you look at it that way...

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I've gone down 5-7 pounds in a week, by drinking over a gallon of water a day...ex-spurts tell me that when the body realizes it's getting enough water daily, it'll release what it's been holding in the tissues and you lose 8# per gallon...with all the rain, I haven't been out in the hot sun-haven't been thirsty, and haven't been drinking water...that's my goal-to get back up to a gallon a day and the flushing action will probably clean out some toxins and such, too...I think I'll have to put a gallon in the fridge and empty it daily...and you guys pray for my work, too...hasn't picked up since the rains stopped and I'm hoooonnnnggry!!! Need to get out there sweating and burning these nasty calories like I usually am this time of year...that in itself will peel a few off...Yeah, I'm game...I'm 239 and going for 215.........that's realistic for me...for a first run, anyways...here we go.....I'll pray for y'all and y'all pray for me...I think He'll help us 'cause I don't think He wants to put up with any of us just yet...JB and Jimbo might be talking bad about us for 20 years if we don't get serious....No more ice cream for me even if it busts every cow in Texas...

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Wow sheepdog, that is bold taking a stand like that. Yep need to join in will do my best nope not sure what my weight is right now. I'll check it out.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, me and Sheepdog both trying to lose 25 pounds! Sheepdog, think of all the firearms you can add to your routine! You can carry fifteen more pounds of weapons and ammo and STILL be ten pounds lighter, leaner and faster!

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
I'm at 160 but could stand to lose 10. I'm only 5'7". Of course none of my pants would fit any more. Oh...wait a minute...that would give me room to stick a second gun IWB.:D

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
quote:Originally posted by rman

I'm at 160 but could stand to lose 10. I'm only 5'7". Of course none of my pants would fit any more. Oh...wait a minute...that would give me room to stick a second gun IWB.:D
Oh that's WAY easier than buying new pants!! :D

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
I'm 6'2" and weigh 250. I need to go down to 180. Thats 70 lbs. but I know I can do, because I have before. The biggest problem is what Gunman mentioned. Keeping if off after you lose it. I've got to do that this time also. I can lose weight by leaving off the three things I like best. Bread, Potatoes, and Sweets. Last time I lost weight I ate so much lettuce that my ears started growing long. [:0]

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I found a wonderful sweet snack...Craisins...made like raisins from cranberries...which are good for us...and they're great......

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hey sheepdog keep us posted on the water diet, sure sounds simple, Ill try it, nothing else seems to work for me.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Huh, a year or so ago I was almost 200, now only 160, thanks to the wife's lunches I'm taking with me to work. :) Our 15 yo son is already 180 but he's higher than me.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
It's not a diet...it's just the first to go...most of us drink so little water that we hold all we can-7-12# in our tissues...no, my sustained loss will be from pushing back from the food bowl and trottin' 'round the neighborhood lots more...checkin' my p-mails and such...also known as exercise.....[V]

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Hey sheepdog, drinking all that water and eating the cranberries will keep you standing over the john, since the cranberry is a natural diuretic.
Maybe the weight loss is due to all the running back and forth to the restroom?
Geez- that's a picture I didn't need to conjure up-----

·
Code Slinger
2,203 Posts
I was at 220 about 5 months ago, and I am down to 200. My goal weight is to lose another 15 or so. I think 185 is right for someone 6'2".

Here is what has been working for me:
I watch the portions I eat. We live in a over-weight & over-eating society. The average person should eat ~2000 calories, and that juicy 20oz t-bone steak at Lone Star is 1500+ calories by itself! http://www.calorie-count.com/calories/item/62511.html add in the mashed potatoes, sweet tea, and your over 2000 calories just for that one meal.

When we go out to eat at a steak house, I get the smallest steak (8-10oz) with broccoli instead of potatoes, which is ~800 calories.
For lunch I usually get a salad. When ordering a salad, get the dressing on the side. Instead of pouring the salad dressing on, dip your fork into the dressing before getting a bite. The will reduce how much salad dressing you eat, because salad dressing is FULL of calories! I've seen people on a 'salad diet' put 6-8 tablespoons of ranch dressing on their salad, did you know thats 450-600 calories!? Ranch dressing contains ~148 calories for 2 tbsp. http://www.calorie-count.com/calories/item/4115.html so if possible order the fat free dressing ~48 calories instead.

Don't starve yourself! If you starve yourself, your teaching your body to store the calories and lower your metabolism. So snacking on raw broccoli thru the day is an excellent way to keep off the hunger and keeps your metabolism running.

Oh, and last tip: Eat more broccoli! :)
http://www.calorie-count.com/calories/item/11090.html

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
There ya go guy's, I know you can do it.... just stay focal on the plan of getting that weight off. I plugged in over at Men's Health and the questionare that I answered for my weight said I should be between 179 - 139

Now I don't see that happening because that would make me like a bean pole. I still have a goal to loose, and stay under 200 and still have some body fat to burn down right there where the love handles are :D

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Losing weight is not as hard as people make it sound. I did not give up bread or carbs or no bull like that. I did almost totally give up fried foods and eating out however. I try to eat fat free or low fat stuff as well. And the key, the absolute key to losing weight is to exercise. Exercise will take it off and it will keep it off. You got to get off the couch and do something. I started out just hiking. Then lifting weights. I lost almost 50 pounds just doing that. Then jogging. That took the rest of it off. I try to jog 2 or 3 times a week and lift weights a couple times a week.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Problem with some of the older people is that some aren't physically able to take a lot of exercise, and those have to turn to a controlled diet. Big thing is to get it off and keep it off. :)

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'm 6'2" and 225, I could stand to lose 40 pounds or so. [xx(]

I used to weigh 155 when I was a freshman in college. College eating habits have taken their tole on my figure. :(

1 - 20 of 34 Posts