Ruger Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is driving me nuts. When I expand the mouth of the case, I can literally seat the bullet with finger pressure. I can also pull the bullet back out of the case with my fingers.

I am using a set of Lee 32-20 dies. When I measure the OD of the case neck at the mouth after sizing, it measures .326". The brass at the neck is .007" thick on each side. The neck ID measures .313" before I expand the case mouth. You can not push a .313" lead bullet into the case. After I "expand" the case mouth withe the expander "ball", (It measures .310"), I can carefully seat the bullet with my fingers. The lead bullet that I am using has a crimp groove that I can put a roll crimp in to hold it from pushing into the case. (I am shooting this in a Blackhawk, so no tube feed to worry about.)

I took the sizing die apart. Using my pin gauges, I determined that the inside of the neck area is .323". Is this dimension too big to create enough neck tension to hold the bullet? The case is springing back to .326".

By the way, the brass is Starline.

If anybody has any ideas, I would appreciate the help. If not, I will call Lee Precision Monday morning.

·
Registered
799 Posts
the beginning ID of .313 seems a little loose. I shoot allot of 32 H&R Magnum that I use a .313 sized 32-20 98 GR SWC bullet as one of my loads. My starting ID is .310 / .311.
When I use the expansion die I barley touch the mouth of the brass just enough to start the bullet. This leads me to having to hold the bullet on top of the brass while pushing
it into the bullet seating die sometimes.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My suspicions are the die is cut a little to big in the neck. What baffles me is why the bullet won't start when sized, but will start when an under size expander (.310") passes thru the neck. It makes no sense.

I also load the 32 Mag. I have checked that expander and it also measures .310". I can't interchange them because that set is RCBS.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
My suspicions are the die is cut a little to big in the neck. What baffles me is why the bullet won't start when sized, but will start when an under size expander (.310") passes thru the neck. It makes no sense.

I also load the 32 Mag. I have checked that expander and it also measures .310". I can't interchange them because that set is RCBS.
I do not have an answer for why that is occurring but might have a way to find the answer.
Lee makes a Universal Case Expanding Die which will let you put some 'flare' on the case mouth without expanding the neck.

It might be worth trying to see if that gives you enough neck tension, if not then you need a smaller ID sizing die.

Bruce

·
Registered
64 Posts

Has this always been the issue from the get go with your LEE dies? Have you gone thru a re-set up of your dies?
Could be you aren`t getting the proper resizing. Maybe the case isn`t getting fully sized to proper dimension, per die set-up. (?)
I would pull the dies, clean them very well, then re-set them up per LEE`s instructions. I would also hope that your press is good condition, not worn.

Keep in mind, shell holders CAN mess with case sizing too, if the shell holder`s shoulders are high. (not allowing case to go full length up into the die)

If a cleaning & re-set up doesn`t cure your problem, you can do one of 2 things, Call LEE`s, or throw the LEE`s out, replace the LEE dies w/RCBS or REDDING.

·
Registered
700 Posts
[When I measure the OD of the case neck at the mouth after sizing, it measures .326". The brass at the neck is .007" thick on each side. The neck ID measures .313" before I expand the case mouth. ... After I "expand" the case mouth with the expander "ball", (It measures .310") ...]

When resizing, the expander/decapper easily passes through the case neck when the case is raised into the die, and the case neck is resized after the expander ball goes through. When the case is lowered the expander ball expands the case neck . If the neck ID is 0.313", and the expander ball measures 0.310", then the case neck has not been resized, and the expander ball will do nothing. As mentioned above, check your die set up.

At least this is the way I read this.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[When I measure the OD of the case neck at the mouth after sizing, it measures .326". The brass at the neck is .007" thick on each side. The neck ID measures .313" before I expand the case mouth. ... After I "expand" the case mouth with the expander "ball", (It measures .310") ...]

When resizing, the expander/decapper easily passes through the case neck when the case is raised into the die, and the case neck is resized after the expander ball goes through. When the case is lowered the expander ball expands the case neck . If the neck ID is 0.313", and the expander ball measures 0.310", then the case neck has not been resized, and the expander ball will do nothing. As mentioned above, check your die set up.

At least this is the way I read this.
The dies are set correctly. When I measured the inside of the neck portion of the sizing die, it measures .323". I used a pin gauge, so I am pretty comfortable with the accuracy. The brass is springing back to .326" and leaving me with an neck ID of .313". I agree that an expander ball of .310 is not doing anything. As I said in an earlier post, my suspicions are the neck of the sizing die is too big and it is not sizing the neck down enough. I have not had time this week to call the company and ask. I hope to have time next week to call them. Oh well, the joys of reloading. Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

·
Registered
700 Posts
The dies are set correctly. When I measured the inside of the neck portion of the sizing die, it measures .323". I used a pin gauge, so I am pretty comfortable with the accuracy. The brass is springing back to .326" and leaving me with an neck ID of .313". I agree that an expander ball of .310 is not doing anything. As I said in an earlier post, my suspicions are the neck of the sizing die is too big and it is not sizing the neck down enough. I have not had time this week to call the company and ask. I hope to have time next week to call them. Oh well, the joys of reloading. Happy Thanksgiving everybody!
Thanks for your reply. You've really narrowed it down. Good luck. And happy Thanksgiving to you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts