Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys while looking online @ Utah Gun Exchange. I noticed a new listing on a Winchester Model 70 pre 64 in .22 Hornet listed price $500.00!!! I thought whoa knowing gun values etc. I wasn't in the market to buy this rifle but I thought what the hell I going to call. Called the owner he explained he bought the rifle from a older fellow a few months back. The original owner didn't shoot this rifle so he let his "Very Stupid Son" take he. So what does the stupid son do.......my guess he didn't know how or where to buy .22 Hornet shells so he took this premium rifle to a gun smith & had it rechambered to a .22-250!!! So back to the current owner he collects Win. Mod. 70's pre 64 he has every caliber but .22 Hornet. He noticed the bolt face looked like it had been opened up or machined etc. He the took this rifle to a certified gunsmith they miked out the chamber & measured it some how maybe even cast it out not sure. But found out its now a .22-250 they took this rifle to a gun range & shot it. The story I got this rifle works great extremely accurate has a 4-16x40 scope on it. It does have a recoil pad on it but bluing and stock very nice this rifle made in 1949. It has stamped on the original barrel .22 Hornet!! The current owner told me had this rifle been left as is would be easily worth $1700-$2800.00!! So if someone wants a very nice coyote rifle varmint rifle this one would work great. The rifle got a going over & was given a clean bill of health but in .22-250 not .22 Hornet. "Very Stupid Son" man what a dope oh well the owner bought it for $400.00 he's recouping some gunsmith costs etc.

·
Registered
629 Posts
$1700- $2800. Really? I know pre 64 mod70's fetch good dollars, but it would want to be mint condition for that sort of money.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
At what point did this rechamber happen. Maybe the guy just wanted a 22-250 instead of a Hornet and since he had a nice rifle, why not just rechamber it.

Some consider it a travesty to rebarrel a red pad Ruger #1, yet it happens all the time. Some like rifles, because they like the rifle and collector value is a non factor to them.

I have several older muscle cars, that would be worth much more if they were in stock condition...........but I don't want them in stock condition, so I fix them like I want them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
As a sometime Model 70 collector, $1700 to 2500 is what a good 22 hornet brings. A mint version would bring $3500 or more. You sure can't compare a Ruger #1 to a Pre64 Model 70. As most hard 70 collectors would say they'd buy another gun before rechambering or rebarreling a 70 unless it was in need of a real makeover.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No you guys miss understand original owner had the gun not using it any more. Let's the son take it. Nothing wrong with it in the first place. The son my guess didn't know how or where to buy .22 hornet shells. On his own with out his fathers approval he has a gunsmith rechambered the rifle to .22-250! Some how the father gets his rifle back when he finds out the changes he puts a mint looking Pre 64 Win. Mod.70 in .22-250 up forsale at $400.00! The current owner finds out by closer inspection the bolt face is altered for a larger ctg.
Then takes it to another gunsmith as I described above & finds out its not a .22 hornet!! The very reason he bought it in the first place. So the father must have known this other wise the price would had been much more $$$$$. Well I answered the obvious ?'s the son took it on his own to make the changes thus ruining the value .22 hornet is a very rare chambering in a Pre 64 Win. Mod. 70 The current owner wasn't told of the changes & didn't look carefully enough I guess before he paid for the rifle. Not until later upon closer inspection does he realize the boner mistake! I just find is strange to make such a drastic change?? My personal Pre 64 Win. Mod. 70 .270 is mint to me, I won't sell it. These rifles have collector value some calibers are worth more then others!

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Just don't buy that the son did this because he couldn't find shells, or didn't know any better. And also, what competent gunsmith, that is capable of doing the rechamber, would not also know the value of the early Winchester. Would you think that would not be mentioned before the work was done?.....I do..............more to this story I feel sure.

And again, when was the rechamber done. If it was a long time ago, the rifle would have just been considered a 70 Winchester in an odd ball caliber

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
msp3903 hey I am just sharing a story from what I could gather hencthforth my title believe what you want. All I can say is I talked with the current owner & saw the rifle. Normally a Pre 64 will sell much more then $500.00!!!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I mite be mistaken here but weren't the older .22 hornets bore diameter .223? And the 22-250 bore was always .224?

I have often wondered if I found an older hornet similar to the one above, could I handload .224 bullets for it ? How would the slight difference in diameter effect performance if .224 bullets could be used without the danger of them just being a little tighter in the bore or would this be a non issue?

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I mite be mistaken here but weren't the older .22 hornets bore diameter .223? And the 22-250 bore was always .224?

I have often wondered if I found an older hornet similar to the one above, could I handload .224 bullets for it ? How would the slight difference in diameter effect performance if .224 bullets could be used without the danger of them just being a little tighter in the bore or would this be a non issue?
It would have to be a VERY old Hornet to have a .223 diameter tube on it

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
msp3903 I really don't care if you buy it or not, who know $$$$$$ does talk and the son did what he wanted without asking. This rifle now has had money's spent on it to figure out what it is and if it is safe to use as a .22-250. If it were my gun like this now I would at least get the barrel stamped as .22-250 shoot it and enjoy it!!!

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
msp3903 I really don't care if you buy it or not, who know $$$$$$ does talk and the son did what he wanted without asking. This rifle now has had money's spent on it to figure out what it is and if it is safe to use as a .22-250. If it were my gun like this now I would at least get the barrel stamped as .22-250 shoot it and enjoy it!!!
The point I was trying to make, is that the only person YOU have talked to, is the one who more or less got hoodwinked on the deal. Stands to reason he is a little miffed, disappointed or whatever. The story he related, may be all the truth, or none of the truth, so I just thought labeling the guy right off as "very stupid son" was a little extreme, when you are not really sure what the deal was.

As to the rechamber............if I had a rifle I really liked and didn't want to get rid of, but wasn't really the caliber I wanted, or it didn't shoot well, I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to rebarrel or rechamber, regardless of perceived collector values, or what others thought I should do. Too many are too quick to harshly criticize these days, when somebody does something that maybe they wouldn't

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You my thoughts here was to just tell & share a story that I thought was really strange why someone would make certain changes to a very collective rifle in the first place! I personally talked on the phone for 30 minutes with the 2nd owner of this gun. He has paid money to a certified gun smith to verify for one that the gun is safe to use is chambered in .22-250 as stated and is ready to use for a new owner if so desired. He bought this gun being told it was a .22 Hornet! He has no reason to lie about it I made it clear I just wanted to know the story about this rifle the how's and the whys that I wasn't currently in the market for one! To go on like this has been ridiculous to not believe me because of all the nonsense this thread will be closed!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.