Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ruger had sent me a new slide for my LC9 because the bluing came off from regular gun oil.

The slide came with new sights etc installed.

I had not shot it since I installed the new slide so I figured I would finally give it a try.

No change, with the factory sights it still shoots way too low at 15 feet and gets worse the further you get out.

The windage is still off also with the new sights. Shoots more then three inches to the left.

I tried different finger positions on the trigger and it made no difference for the windage. Time to move the sights around again. If I have to unpin the front sight like on the last slide then I giving up.

It looks like I am going to have to shave the front sight down again.

I line up the three dots, hold the center dot directly on the target and it shoots about 5 inches below were I am aiming.

It does look like the might have done something better with the firing pin on the new slide because it had no light strikes in the 10 mags that I ran through it today.

I am trying to get to like this pistol but it just ain't happening so far.

Anyone know were I can find an elevation adjustable sight to go with the factory looks of the front sight????

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
It sounds to me like you're having to work too hard to "like" the pistol. Perhaps it is time to part company. Get something you know you will get along with better.

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
It sounds to me like you're having to work too hard to "like" the pistol. Perhaps it is time to part company. Get something you know you will get along with better.
+1.

Also, you may just be expecting the wrong things from the LC9. It's not a target pistol. It's a concealable self defense carry gun. If you aim at someone's heart and hit a couple of inches low, you're still probably hitting lungs. If you ever did have to use it to defend yourself, you are much more likely to be shooting at 10 feet or less.

Your gun is very likely inherently accurate. It's just very hard to shoot it accurately off hand.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
+1.

Also, you may just be expecting the wrong things from the LC9. It's not a target pistol. It's a concealable self defense carry gun. If you aim at someone's heart and hit a couple of inches low, you're still probably hitting lungs. If you ever did have to use it to defend yourself, you are much more likely to be shooting at 10 feet or less.

Your gun is very likely inherently accurate. It's just very hard to shoot it accurately off hand.

10 feet or less is way too close but 5+ inches low is way to low. I would have to be aiming for a neck shot to get a pump house hit at 10 feet. To is way to far off target even for a close in defense weapon.

WheelyGuy, I have already replaced this weapon with another as my main carry. I was just keeping this as a back up.

I would sell it or trade it but Ruger won't sell me the stock trigger bar and hammer to install in it first and I won't hand a modified weapon over to someone else. So this one will continue to be part of my collection until I can find stock replacement parts for it.

I will probly just shave the front sight down again, drill a dimple in it and paint the dimple white and then adjust the windage on the rear sight again. I just hope that I don't have to move the rear sight as much on the new slide as I did on the old slide.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Have you tried bench-rest shooting it? Or possible having someone else try to shoot it to verify the sights are off?

I know when I first got my Keltec PF9, I could not shoot to the point of aim and I thought it was the gun, but when I shot it from a rest, it was dead center. It was just how I was manipulating the trigger. I worked on it, and it got better. Just a thought.

If you have already tried this, then it is time to move the sights and possibly get rid of the gun for something you feel more comfortable with.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I have the windage adjusted now. At 15 feet I have to hold the front sight dot, about one dot high or on top of the rear sight dots to get the elevation correct.

I kinda wish Ruger had different height sights available like Sig does.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I have the windage adjusted now. At 15 feet I have to hold the front sight dot, about one dot high or on top of the rear sight dots to get the elevation correct.

I kinda wish Ruger had different height sights available like Sig does.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Plus another one.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the good news is that I ran just over 120 rounds of Winchester White Box FMJs through it and not one light strike. This is good news considering that before I could not go through 3 mags without atleast 2 light strikes.

Bad news was that it was 30 degrees outside and the wind was gusting to over 20 mph and I can't shoot with gloves on. No indoor ranges around my area. I couldn't go to the local pit were there is some protection because the owner has it sealed off since he deer hunts there in the fall. So I was stuck out in a ditch, litterally, using a field crossing as a back drop way out in the country far away from anything.

·
Registered
332 Posts
No change, with the factory sights it still shoots way too low at 15 feet and gets worse the further you get out.

The windage is still off also with the new sights. Shoots more then three inches to the left.
You're not going to like my suggestion.

I suggest you find someone that is an expert pistol shot and get him or her to try out your problem Ruger.

You may be surprised at what the problem is. :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You're not going to like my suggestion.

I suggest you find someone that is an expert pistol shot and get him or her to try out your problem Ruger.

You may be surprised at what the problem is. :)
Having fired this thing on a bench and bag before and off the bench. I know what the problem is.

The problem is that ,due to manufacturing processes, no two items are the same coming off a manufacturing line. You can have one item come out perfect and do everything as designed and the very next item will come off the line performing less then perfect.

Mine is performing less then perfect and needs adjustment.

Some companys understand this and they offer parts that can help with getting it to the level that the owner wants.

Sig, for example, offers different height sights for both the front and the back so that a shooter can adjust. If the weapon is shooting high then the shooter can buy a taller front sight or a shorter rear sight or a combination of both.

I can shoot the bottom out of a pop can at 15 yards with my sig P938, my Rock Island officer 1911 and my Ruger blackhawk .45lc Heck I can take a rabbits head off at 75+ yards with my blackhawk.

As for now, the weather is not going to be in my favor for any longer days outside playing with this thing. Once the weather starts moving my way and I am not working, then I am going to sit down for an extended shooting time and get this dialed in a little further.

But as of now it looks like I am going to have to remove the front sight and attack it with my belt sander then move it to my press to redimple the sight and apply some white paint to the dimple. But I am going to keep looking for an elevation adjustable rear sight in the mean time.

The new slide has given me some confidence in the weapons ability to function properly. This was not true with the original slide as it had way too many problems with light strikes and failures to eject properly.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Having fired this thing on a bench and bag before and off the bench. I know what the problem is.
The LC9 [as well as the LCP] is not an easy pistol to shoot accurately. It wasn't designed to be. It's not a tack driver, at least not in the hands of most shooters, and was never intended to be.

That's the point I was trying to get across. I still suggest you try to get an expert pistol shot to try out your LC9 and get his or her opinion.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The problem is that ,due to manufacturing processes, no two items are the same coming off a manufacturing line. You can have one item come out perfect and do everything as designed and the very next item will come off the line performing less then perfect.

Mine is performing less then perfect and needs adjustment.

Some companys understand this and they offer parts that can help with getting it to the level that the owner wants.

Sig, for example, offers different height sights for both the front and the back so that a shooter can adjust. If the weapon is shooting high then the shooter can buy a taller front sight or a shorter rear sight or a combination of both.

I can shoot the bottom out of a pop can at 15 yards with my sig P938, my Rock Island officer 1911 and my Ruger blackhawk .45lc Heck I can take a rabbits head off at 75+ yards with my blackhawk.
Is the LC9 your only double action pistol? I would second Trucker's suggestion. I'm surprised that no one else has made it before him.

Get an experienced handgun shooter to shoot the gun before you give up on it. You might be surprised. If nothing else, you'll know beyond a doubt that it is the gun and not you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sounds like something Kobe Bryant would say: "I missed that free-throw, there must be something wrong with this ball"
I would agree with trucker on this one, put your ego aside and let someone else shoot your gun

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sounds like something Kobe Bryant would say: "I missed that free-throw, there must be something wrong with this ball"
I would agree with trucker on this one, put your ego aside and let someone else shoot your gun

·
Banned
108 Posts
Have you tried bench-rest shooting it? Or possible having someone else try to shoot it to verify the sights are off?

I know when I first got my Keltec PF9, I could not shoot to the point of aim and I thought it was the gun, but when I shot it from a rest, it was dead center. It was just how I was manipulating the trigger. I worked on it, and it got better. Just a thought.

If you have already tried this, then it is time to move the sights and possibly get rid of the gun for something you feel more comfortable with.
I feel like my LC9 sights are off as well -- I'm shooting insanely low as well. I wanted to maybe ask a range attendant (my range guy is very helpful). Is that bad etiquette?

·
Registered
259 Posts
I feel like my LC9 sights are off as well -- I'm shooting insanely low as well. I wanted to maybe ask a range attendant (my range guy is very helpful). Is that bad etiquette?
I don't think so. I am not at ranges often, but when I am, it seems if someone has a problem, people will try to help him out however they can. I would say, ask politely and try to get some help. Surely someone will offer some suggestions. And if I am at a range, I never pass up the opportunity to shoot someone else's gun, in trade for him shooting mine of course.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have had others shoot it, they were no better with it then I am, and one is heavy into competition shooting. But mind you this was with the old slide in which I had to shave down the front sight on to get the elevation correct.

The point is that I have tried many different techniques to shooting this thing. It is not the trigger that is causing me issues. It has a nice light short pull to it now. I couldn't hit the side of a barn with it stock. It was pulling way to the right in stock forum but that was because I was pulling it. Since I modified the trigger length and worked over the trigger. I am no longer pulling it or jerking it.

But as I said, when the weather goes in my favor then I am going to sit down for some extended bench time and work out the front sight issue.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I had much the same experience and frustration. It was hitting consistently low and left.

I handed the gun to the range attendant to see if he could hit anything with it. He promptly and with no practice put four shots inside the center ring slightly to the right of center.

Then he watched me a bit, and had me watch the hammer as it came back. He had me line things up at about the point where the hammer was just ready to break rather than to try to line the dots up as I began pulling the trigger. His explanation was that the extremely long and end-stacking trigger pull was making me try to compensate. If I aimed just as I reached the break point, I didn't compensate as much.

He had me on paper in the next magazine. and in the rings with 4 or 5 shots by the time I had put three mags down range.

I'm finding that the LC9 is a unique weapon. You kinda have to forget what you think you may know, and concentrate on learning how to use the gun.

My only concern is that once I learn how to shoot it effectively, it may well mess with my accuracy with other guns. Time will tell.

But try dry firing it as you look at the hammer coming back. Get used to holding the hammer at almost the break point, then aim, then complete the trigger stroke. Its kinda strange, but it seems to work for me.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts